If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35018 British India Line

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34014, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thank you for confirming what is not happening. For those of us with an interest, please could you advise what is happening with 35018, in particular regarding the observed leaks from the runs last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andalfi1 likes this.
  2. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Work on-going, as it’s effectively still pretty much ‘out of the box’. It’ll appear when we’re satisfied it's ready.

Beyond that, you’ll just have to wait.

JS

3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

As the originator of the information in this thread I thank you for clarifying James and unreservedly apologise for sharing what has proved to be unfounded news as well as any distress this may have caused. May I also wish the team looking after 35018 every success in bringing the loco to full fitness as soon as practicable.
    I do sincerely hope my folly will not prove too much of a deterrent for you sharing more fleet status information in the future and I am genuinely sorry if my comments are generally seen as a barrier to communication by you in this respect. I will gladly modify my behaviour if you feel able to let me know what you think I should do.
    With apologies once again, best regards, Danny

4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

thank you James for sharing this information, but if anything it shows how useful an openness to communicate can be with out of course giving away any sensitive information , people pick up on something they may have heard, or been told and of course thats how rumours get started , at least now that one has been debunked, but what is the knock on effect, you say people connected with carnforth get fed up with false news, and i can understand it, but at the same time, if your unwilling to let the audience know the true answer when questions are asked are you not feeding the same mis information ?

Bean-counter likes this.
  5. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    fake news per Pres Trump

7. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

We*, are basically parasites that get a free feed from the spectacle of mainline steam. Some hosts tolerate parasites or can even have a symbiotic relationship. A parasite becomes a problem when it causes discomfort or starts an infection. In this day and age of sloppy 'copy and paste' journalism and social media vigilantes, a leap from infection to terminal disease cannot be discounted.

*I use the term very loosely. If you feel you do not belong in this pigeon hole then move along, nothing to see here! :)

8. 26D_M

"loose lips sink ships"?

9. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

"Nature abhors a vacuum."

10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    But do we really need it filled with crap.

11. 26D_M

A question we might all do well to reflect on.
    Whilst I do find my part in 'cylindergate' deeply regrettable I will say that throughout I made clear I was merely relaying some received information which was certainly not gospel and may be false - tittle tattle in other words. There was no malicious intent and I hope caused no reputational damage to the owner as I was particularly careful to offer no judgement of the reported condition. While pleased James intervened I was surprised because I believed WC to be impervious to the inconsequential ramblings that is the stock of NP discourse. Clearly I will need to be more circumspect in future if, as it seems, speculation causes distress at Carnforth - lesson learnt.
    The only other mitigation I can offer in this mea culpa is that the story seemed to tally with the widely observed steam leak. The cause of the leak has either been fixed or otherwise attributed because there is not an issue with the cylinder as James reported. This, we can all agree, is the best news arising from the sorry saga.

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
  13. 26D_M

14. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    J S has been good enough to provide facts, isn't it time to move on a bit? Carnforth is Carnforth, it is their right to run their business as they see fit and EVERYBODY should respect that.James has 'had a word' and that should be the end of it.

g8bvl, jsm8b, Johnb and 7 others like this.
  15. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    I wonder, but do I see a lot of bored old men trying to fill their time meaningfully on social media???

Cheers,

Alan

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  16. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It does seem to an extent a self-fulfilling prophecy here. Carnforth don't engage with enthusiasts. In the resultant vacuum of information speculation occurs. Carnforth sees the speculation and tells us this why they don't engage with enthusiasts...

17. 26D_M

Perhaps an amnesty on Carnforth related discussion could be negotiated on the basis that if EVERYBODY observed it for a fixed period, some nuggets of fleet information would be released as the quid pro quo?

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    But there are those on social media and elsewhere who, even when provided with info from operatives in the heritage sector, still bleat on and make 2+2 = 5.
    Some groups are more communicative than others but few if any reveal everything that's going on - internecine struggles such as the old WSR thread excepted.
    Prior to the internet, updates from groups came with their quarterly newsletter or the monthly railway mags. Now it seems many want instant info and aren't prepared
    to wait. Patience is a virtue.

mgl, andalfi1, andrewshimmin and 7 others like this.
  19. 26D_M

That is all quite correct. The distinction in this case as @BigAl observed, Carnforth is a business entity outright. We have no right to demand or expect public pronouncements. It would be nice if they did because their activities generate public interest which I suppose they derive some ultimate benefit from. We therefore have to respect their right to silence but unfortunately they do not therefore keep control of the message.
    Silence inevitably breeds speculation, misinformation and distrust which is a difficult cycle to break unless both sides commit to doing so

andalfi1, 35B and flying scotsman123 like this.
  20. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Shall we just leave it alone now? It's starting to get a little tedious and repetitive.

Johnb, RalphW, 60017 and 3 others like this.