If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Baldwin "Lyn" new build.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Meiriongwril, Jan 25, 2009.

1. clam1952

clam1952 New Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Expected, that would be getting the boiler pressure up to Spec, final Lynformation item 6 http://762club.com/762lynformation60.php

2. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

3. ellenbee pioneer

ellenbee pioneer New Member

You're wrong. It's still saying 'not in use for the foraeeable future (Lynton and Barnstaple Railway -Last Narrow-Gauge Railway Adventure')
    I can imagine things too. Does anyone know what has happened? You don't tell people not to turn up if they want to see your biggest attraction and ban shed visits if it's just 'minor adjustments'. And if the loco will not be running for the 'forseeable future' it's clearly unserviceable.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

You clearly know nothing and are simply trying to spread false rumors.

If you are a 762 club member and can't wait the few days that the website notes will be until the next update, then I suggest you email club officials and ask.

5. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Did I read someplace that there is an issue with the point-work being a little tight somewhere - so either the point gets adjusted or the loco itself neither are likely to be done very quickly, and of course there could be a whole host of other issues that need a dose of sorting as these things seldom work straight out of the box without a few adjustments necessary - besides what's the rush to see the thing its not as though its going to disappear and will be round for decades.

6. ellenbee pioneer

Wind your neck in. How can I be 'spreading false rumours' if I'm relaying an official statement? And in case you can't read a post, I asked if anybody knew anything!

7. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

No, you specifically stated that "it's clearly unserviceable". If that's not a false rumour, then what is it?

Meiriongwril and MartinBall like this.
  8. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

"your wrong" and "Wind your neck in" A touch rude possibly?

MartinBall likes this.
  9. ellenbee pioneer

Taking the tone from your own pompous and ill-thought-out post!

10. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

To be fair, Ellen bee did write "you're wrong"! :D

11. MrC

MrC New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It seemed to go through the points OK on Sunday. It would have been nice to have seen it working a bit harder. I got the impression that Issac was doing most of the work and there was something amiss with the loco. Were the sanders not working?

12. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The official statement (i.e. website) says nothing about it being unserviceable; simply not in use on service trains, which is a much more anodyne statement. (Not in use on service trains could easily mean still available for use on non-service trains).

All sorts of reasons why a loco may not be used on service trains while still being serviceable: could be as prosaic as needing a washout, or perhaps being used for crew familiarisation.

Tom

Black Jim, ghost, gwalkeriow and 3 others like this.
  13. MrC

MrC New Member

It did look magnificent though. Looking forward to seeing it on longer trains working hard in the future. Heard someone saying they were going to start two manning wardles soon..... And the spring railway gala will be one to visit. (Although personally I won't be there as I did not think Sunday was good value for money).

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

He was still gratuitously rude to yourself, gary walker and now me.

PH

15. ellenbee pioneer

It could be any of the above reasons or none of them. Does anybody know anything more? The phrase 'service trains' explains nothing except that it won't be running on revenue-earning services, if at all, 'for the foreseeable future'. And what is a foreseeable future? And why ban shed visits?

Is this Roswell? Have aliens taken over the L&B?!!

It's anodyne statements that fuel speculation.

....says the man that said 'you clearly know nothing and are trying to spread false rumours'!
    I'll say it again. Wind your neck in!

16. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

You really do need to get some manners.

PH

17. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Well that all escalated quickly, an engine's listed as 'unserviceable' and suddenly everyone's losing their minds!

Really I think all this tossing of back and forth of insults and heated words is a bit much, or in the words of Michael Winner in that notable advert: "Calm down dear!"

I'm pretty confident it's nothing to get worried about, simply that the folks at the L&B are taking their time making final adjustments, for lest we forget this is a brand new engine.
    I think I'm sure I read somewhere that their intention was not to use it proper till the nest working season, which makes sense to me as things are winding down now with Winter fast approaching.
    Seems only a smart move to ensure all potential kinks are sorted out, before putting it into full service, certainly since if I recall it might be the only large engine available for the railway for a while as the other engines are in need of work doing to them.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  18. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

When I visited over the summer, one of the booking office chaps mentioned that Lyn would be going to Ffestiniog for testing later in the year - haven't heard anything else about it, does anybody know if that's a possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ross

ross Well-Known Member

On Saturday Lyn performed well. She's running 200lbs safety valves, and was blowing off quite a bit. They can't run her at 250lbs until the issue with the injectors is sorted out, but she had plenty of power in reserve even at this lower boiler pressure. It may be that the reason it seemed Isaac was doing most a lot of the work was simply that Isaac was making most of the noise.
    The other significant issue which reared its head was the fireman's side door handle was a bit sticky and wasn't latching properly-I expect Keef's are briefing their emergency cabinet maker as I type.
    I also heard that a new crossing had already been ordered so the Killington Lane trackwork could be made "Lyn compliant"

Black Jim, 30854 and paulhitch like this.
  20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Now everyone seems to have calmed down a bit can we hope that this thread will continue in a more polite manner please? (New Members please note)