If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. AndyY

AndyY Member

Splendid, the chimneys now look very good - I can't wait to see smoke coming out of the operational one, but I guess that will take a while yet!

Andy

2. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was member at the time, I remember one of the big concerns at Cheltenham race course station when it was being restored was vandalism. The Wooden station building at racecourse seemed to be particularly at risk and at one time had fences and barbed wire around it to try and deter vandals who had smashed stuff up and tried to start fires etc. I think when it was restored it probably meant a lot of extra work because of this. This was the argument at the time for the simplified signal box at racecourse as they were worried it would be attacked too. Not sure what the situation is now. Is there a feeling the place still might attract vandals even though it is now all restored ? I could understand not wanting to build a really first class signal box and then find someone smashes it up. Even the original I understand had shutters on the windows for when it was not in use.

3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Well we definitely still get urchins around, only the other day the loco crew noticed some folk messing around the wagons down at hunting butts.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    AndyY and Nick Gough like this.
  5. AndyY

AndyY Member

It's certainly looking quite splendid! I'm really glad that some of the 'issues' of the past have been sorted, I like to think it was the constructive criticism on here which resulted in improvements being made.

I wish they wouldn't refer to the 'car park side' of the station, this makes it sound like somewhere hidden round the back, it's actually the Front of the station (as opposed to the platform side), the public-facing side where passengers are welcomed to travel!

A question. In the initial concept for the building, with the ugly brick wall extending right up to the canopy ridge, it was claimed this was needed for fire-proofing reasons. I can see that there is a possibility of sparks from a loco being blown under the canopy and landing on top of the building. Is it planned to put 'wiggly tin' on top of the rafters under the canopy to provide a fireproof 'under roof'? What is there here at Toddington?

Andy

6. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Steel sheeting on top of timber boards as at Toddington as I remember.

7. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

The roofing sheets have now reached the forecourt side. The platform side (a single row, the second will be GWR type glazing fitted by a contractor) is done, together with the gutters.
    I attach a few pictures:
    IMG_4387.JPG

This is the platform side. The glazing will go along the upper half. The sheets are powder coated (to last longer without repainting) black on top, and light stone underneath.

IMG_4388.JPG

The southern third of the forecourt side has reached the first of the two chimneys, now both completed with the correct caps and corbelling. The flashing along the ridge still has to go on, to make the roof fully water tight.

IMG_4386.JPG

This close up shows the fine detail of the chimneys, where the flashing is about to be fitted. In the foreground is the new canopy over the entrance, which is ready for its covering.

The process of ballasting between the platforms has started at the north end. The ballast bed is contaminated with clay and the residue of 8 years of building traffic, so needs to have the top scraped off and replaced with fresh. Pictures can be seen on the extension blog, updated yesterday:
    http://broadwayextensionblog.blogspot.co.uk/

8. AndyY

AndyY Member

Excellent progress, it's looking really good, and splendid high-resolution pictures, many thanks, I do like to study the detail.

And I like the word 'forecourt', that has a GWR ring to it, unlike the mundane 'car park side'..........

Andy

9. toplight

Looks really good including the chimneys, well done to all involved. What is the plan for what will go inside, will there be a shop or cafe for example ?

10. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

It should be a cafe, the dimensions of the rooms were inspired by those at Winchcombe, with the kitchen at the rear.

After the 'Coffepot' at Winchcombe, and this being the Honeybourne line, I rather like the name 'Honeypot' for it. Hope they go for it :)

11. nigelss

nigelss Member

Various pictures of the north end of platform one show a container (?), which I believe is going to be a maintenance facility, sitting on a concrete pad. Is this going to be disguised in any way? As things stand it is going to be a bit of an eyesore for anyone trying to take pictures looking north from platform one as the locomotive runs round.

AndyY and Breva like this.
  12. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Don't even go there.... it's been talked about on this thread ad nauseum and on the GWSR threads so many times that, even as I write this, an army of volunteer carpenters stand ready to disguise the 2 containers (yes, there are 2) as Pway sheds (not too difficult to do) but I guess those containers would be welcomed in Puerto Rico, BV Islands or Dominica. I guess it's all about what concerns people about what goes on in the World.

jnc likes this.
  13. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I agree. Sadly, heritage advice given before the deed was done was not taken on board. The concrete is 9ins thick, with double reinforcement, and you can work out what that cost.

14. AndyY

AndyY Member

I'm sure they could be clad in timber and made to blend in, I hope this will be done in the fullness of time.

15. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage railways, even when attempts to re-create a 'chocolate box' atmosphere are pursued, are still railways and as such are liable to some industrial looking items here and there. :)

Bean-counter likes this.
  16. toplight

Agreed but ideally stuff like that should be kept away from the areas the public go or disguised. Is there any plan to rebuild the waiting shelter that was originally on the other platform or will that be left until much later ?

17. AndyY

AndyY Member

True, but as Broadway is intended to be a recreation of a GWR station in the past, any modern practical building such as a shipping container should be clad or otherwise camouflaged to look like a railway storage building from that same earlier era.

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  18. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

It does seem a little silly to purchase/obtain a shipping container, then devote time and money on disguising it, (because it is suddenly patently clear that it is fugly and totally out of character with the rest of the station build), when an example of an authentic looking simple building (PW hut, etc) could have been built in the first place.

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  19. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

Makes it more secure?

So a disguised shipping container hits the balance of being solid and secure but looks like a wooden shed.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  20. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

I suspect to gain the security of shipping container, you would not be saving much time or money creating a purpose built building compared with disguising the shipping container - indeed, the container would provide and 'instant' secure store and could be disguised later, whereas building a secure building would take much longer. I also wonder if the containers will be needed when all work is finished and hence whether they are planned to be moved elsewhere eventually anyway.

Steven

Kinghambranch likes this.