If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    They might change their mind but if they do not and visitors to the line get parking tickets then those visitors could well change their mind about a revisit. They will also tell others most likely.

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Except Kingscote is famous as being remote from any village. (East Grinstead is more logical, as there was no space for cars anyway).

It's long lost in time, but I suspect at Kingscote the concern was probably to avoid parking on the verges of local roads. A small car park could have been accommodated in the station forecourt, but I suspect it was seen as easier to say no parking, rather than allow parking for, say, 20 cars that might routinely be exceeded with people parking on the nearby roadsides on rather small twisty roads.

Tom

3. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    It can be a bit too easy to stick the 'Nimby' label on folks. I have chosen to live in a relatively isolated house away from the village but which (quite by chance!) is adjacent to Stogumber station.

I will be at home for the next few days preparing a legal case and the peace and quiet are perfect for that.

On one weekend a year, the local cricket ground, half a mile away, hosts 'Stogumbeerfest' which goes on until midnight on Saturday evening with loud music etc. That irritates me, but I think is 'fair enough' one weekend a year with plenty of warning.

If Stogumber (aka Kingscote) were to become the terminus of a heritage Steam Railway, with extra noise and parking, a significant part of the reason I love living here would be taken away.

Always important to think it through from the other folks' perspective.

Robin

4. burmister

burmister Member

[QUOTE rejected in favour of a 9 inch thick reinforced concrete pad, installed by a contractor.[/QUOTE]

Why did you do that?
    Shipping containers are designed to be stacked several high fully loaded on their corners so it is only necessary to construct suitable load bearing pads at the corners. Making a thick pad the size of the container footprint is total waste of time, a lot of money and effort. It also encourages the bottom of the container to rust out overtime if it touches the concrete pad whereas corner pads will allow air circulation under the container.
    Easy way to construct the pads is to use large diameter plastic drainage pipe, dig down to the depth required by the soil composition, put the pipe in vertically, bit of brick rubble rammed down, fit say 4 rebar rods, fill to the top of pipe with high strength concrete. A days DIY for 2 men.
    Also a lot easier to restore back to earth when the time comes to relocate.

jnc and michaelh like this.
  5. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Why did you do that?
    Shipping containers are designed to be stacked several high fully loaded on their corners so it is only necessary to construct suitable load bearing pads at the corners. Making a thick pad the size of the container footprint is total waste of time, a lot of money and effort. It also encourages the bottom of the container to rust out overtime if it touches the concrete pad whereas corner pads will allow air circulation under the container.
    Easy way to construct the pads is to use large diameter plastic drainage pipe, dig down to the depth required by the soil composition, put the pipe in vertically, bit of brick rubble rammed down, fit say 4 rebar rods, fill to the top of pipe with high strength concrete. A days DIY for 2 men.
    Also a lot easier to restore back to earth when the time comes to relocate.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a very sensible and practical way of solving the problem, especially if, long term, it permits the north end of the station to resemble its original layout (ie: a horse dock siding). If only you had been there to tell them at the time. Too late now anyway, we are just going to have to live with it.

jnc likes this.
  6. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes, they're separate, so when we open we won't have much parking to speak of, bar a few disabled spaces near the station forcourt IIRC.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

I think part of the same situation was that you weren't allowed to buy a ticket at Kingscote unless you'd caught the connecting bus from East Grinstead, which meant there was no point in people arriving by car anyway - preventing the parking problem. Seem to remember this was a bit of a grumbling point for walkers and cyclists who couldn't buy tickets - don't know if they eventually relaxed the rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Yes, the rules were relaxed for walkers and cyclists.

Robin

dan.lank likes this.
  9. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

I am afraid I don't understand this comment. What change of mind may the council have? Are they (potentially) funding the car park?

10. flying scotsman123

As in, they might be a bit more amenable to a car park in general once they see the need for it.

11. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Thanks. Seems strange to refuse to allow car parking if the railway has suitable land to use.

12. flying scotsman123

Indeed. AIUI, if we'd have built it all at once and large expense they'd have let us, it was the plan to build it in stages that they didn't like. I think they were afraid that we might abandon it half way through leaving it looking messy but if you look at our track record when we do something, we do it!

Kinghambranch likes this.
  13. AndyY

AndyY Member

Would the council actually prohibit use of the land 'as is', or is the ground too boggy anyway without some civil engineering?

14. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Sounds like a very sensible and practical way of solving the problem, especially if, long term, it permits the north end of the station to resemble its original layout (ie: a horse dock siding). If only you had been there to tell them at the time. Too late now anyway, we are just going to have to live with it.[/QUOTE]

To judge by what has been reported on here, they would not have listened anyway.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  15. michaelh

But they haven't refused permission for a car park.

16. michaelh

Parking in the summer is already at a premium in Broadway, and there certainly isn't much near to the station. Station Road already has double yellows on one side and loads of drives on the other side (potential for residents being blocked in by GWSR visitors) I can see real issues emerging if the railway opens to Broadway - with a lot of publicity - and serious numbers of people turn up in Broadway expecting to park and join the train.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  17. Kinghambranch

Retired
    The nearest current car park is the already established Childswickham Road Car Park.

18. michaelh

19. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

20. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Yes, that's the one I parked in for the Broadway open evening back in May. It's not a significant way from the Station for me but it may well be for some people I understand. I freely admit that I was transported to the Station and back to the car park on that occasion by London Transport Routemaster bus!