If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Contacting the editorial staff.......Is it just me then?

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by Dan Cross, May 23, 2011.

1. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Dad, Husband then Tug Skipper & DAPS Chairman
    A project I am involved with got a brief but important mention in this months column of David Morgan.
    I want to follow this up with a small article and have now emailed Nick Pigott and Chris Milner three times without so much as a reply or acknowledgement.

Is this standard for a railway mag due to the workload or have other people experienced this as well while trying to make contact?

Dan

2. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have recently submitted a press release to most of the rail press and have not had an acknowledgement apart from the one mag I forgot to attach the article to. Don't worry, they are busy people, especially towards printing deadlines I expect. Wait and see if it gets printed, or better still, see if they want more info from you for a follow up!!

3. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It seems pretty much standard that if they're not interested in what you're offering then they won't reply.

4. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Why not pick up the phone and talk to them?

Richard

1 person likes this.
  5. 5E Alsager

5E Alsager New Member Account Suspended

Bishop of Copmanthorpe
    deleted

6. RogerP

RogerP New Member

On the few occasions that I have written to Modern Railways I have always had a courteous and full reply from the editor, and further correspondence where appropriate with Tony Miles. Always impressed with them.

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    With so much material being received by E-mail the small staff subconciously filter out the mail into items for use and items for information with no time to send any acknowledgements. If the project is sufficiently important - and you think it worthy of an article - I would recommend that you phone the editor(s) and discuss the project with them. I have done this in the past - been thanked for my approach - thanked the edotor(s) for their time and consideration - and often followed up with the article along the lines suggested by the editor in that all-important phone call.

8. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Dad, Husband then Tug Skipper & DAPS Chairman
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I did reply back a couple of days ago but that looks to have never made it to the board!

I took advise and rang up but unfortunately Nick was out Thursday and is back Tuesday. I will try again.

I'm not trying to sell an article or picture, just want to know if a project I'm involved with can follow up a mention we got off David Morgan with a small article by our Patron.

Ho hum, will keep trying!

Thanks to all