If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

German Steam Tours

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by steamvideosnet, Jul 16, 2012.

1. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I wish to apologise in case I have posted this in the wrong section of NP. If it is in the wrong section, then please feel free to move it to the appropriate place. This seems the logical section, but I've been wrong MANY times before!

In a couple of weeks, I might be visiting the Harz Mountains Railway at Wernigerode for a few days/weeks. I am planning on spending a few days going around the Harz videoing steam, much like I do here in the UK. I am also aware that there is a decent rail network surrounding the Harz railway system, from Quedlinburg in the east to Gottingen in the south west and to Wernigerode and Goslar in the north, and I was wondering if there were any steam railtours planned to pass the Harz. If anyone is aware of a website that can give information of German steam railtours, would they mind posting that link as a reply please?

I have been searching through Google for a few hours now, but with no luck. I have followed a link posted by 45669, but cannot see any dates/times for these tours.

Thanks in advance :)

James at SVN

2. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Don't have any links, sorry, I'm a bit out of touch with German steam these days, especially as Plandampf has virtually ended, ( Andover will be writing an update for me to put on the web site soon). But plenty here will have the relevant links that work these days.

But if you haven't been before and are going to properly film the Wernigerode to Brocken line, (very strongly recommended), a pair of stout walking boots and wet weather gear are very much needed.

I worked out that in the ten and more trips it took me to get all the footage for "Storming the Brocken" in the early 1990s I walked around 400kms. Carrying a heavy weight Sony Camera and Vinten Vision 5 tripod, as you are not allowed to drive on the forest tracks or the road up from Schierke to the summit. And once into the Kernzone above Schierke you have to stay on the few footpaths to Brocken summit. And with good reason, by virtue of the Russian occupation for 28 years it became an untouched nature reserve, (it was protected from well before that, 1939 in fact). I doubt that the Kernzone rule has change since I was last there.

It's a great place to visit. The sound of those superb 2-10-2 tanks storming to the summit is wonderful.

Cheers,

Bryan

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

LOK Report has a pretty accurate list of steam on the mainline in germany.

if you go through google there is a translation available.

also you can try the following, there the major players for mainline steam.

Lausitzer Dampflok Club e.V.
    www.bahnpark-augsburg.de
    Berlin macht Dampf
    http://www.westfalendampf.de
    Ulmer Eisenbahnfreunde e.V.

2nd September is Meiningen's annual steam open day at the works
    15th September Lausitzer's running a special to Harz.

German mainline steam is a lot like the UK in the 1980's.. the routes still look like steam days, there's less rules and regulation but whilst there is a healthy stream of mainline operations it is not like how it is in the UK today with several each day.. often some loco's only run 3 or 4 times a year on the mainline.

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The standard gauge freight line the Rubelandbahn between Blankenburg( Harz) and Rubeland has steam hauled passenger trains and has gradients of up to 1 in 17. One of the steepest sections is adjacent to a road.

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Doesn't run every weekend though. See Ag Rübelandbahn

9 days ago the train ran Blankenburg-Halberstadt-Thale-Halberstadt-Thale-Halberstadt-Blankenburg. We had a ride on it Halberstadt-Thale and return. 2-10-2T 95 1027 on one end, 2 coaches, and 2-10-0 50 3708 on the other end. Bit bonkers really. ;-) [Some photos found here - not mine! - ]Drehscheibe Online Foren :: 15 - Museumsbahn :: 150 Jahre Halberstadt - Thale mit 90 1027 und 50 3708

Phil

6. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions. I have been several times before, and have always enjoyed seeing the 2-10-2 and Mallet locomotives charging through Steinerne Renne and departing Drei Annen Hohne. I visited Rubeland last year, but there was nothing running on the day I visited, although I did find a delightful standard gauge locomotive that had been turned into an exhibit - really was quite fascinating as it was in the middle of nowhere!

I might manage a couple of days in the Koblenz area, which would coincide with the Rhine in Flames and a tour with 01 1066 to Koblenz. That would be something to see!

Thanks once again, I really appreciate all of your input.

James at SVN

7. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Although nothing to do with railways, steam or otherwise, the Rhein in Flames firework displays are well worth seeing.