If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Launceston Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Charobin, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Charobin

Charobin Member

In the immortal words of Rolf Harris - "Can you guess what it is yet?"

[​IMG]

2. Richieboy

Richieboy New Member

A gauge glass from a Hunslet locomotive perhaps. . . . .

Does she begin with a "D" possibly. . . . . . .

3. Charobin

Charobin Member

Who knows?

But I did hear that if you have a look on the LSR website tomorrow evening there might be a little more information...... ;-)

Charlie

4. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

It is a quarry Hunslet gauge glass alright.

By the way, bitter personal experience suggests that a water level over half way up leads to spectacular priming! Perhaps "D" may be different.

P.H.

5. Charobin

Charobin Member

Interestingly Covertcoat usually runs the first train of the day with a higher (over half) water level with no priming - though she generally spends the rest of the day with her water between a third and half a glass. The gauge glass in the photo is only a third full anyway....

Charlie

[​IMG]

6. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Huge congratulations to Kay, she has worked hard and I hope the finished product is as good as the progress along the way has appeared to be. I can only hope I can persuade them to bring the loco along to the WHHR in the next few years, so that I can have a play with it!!!

WELL DONE!

7. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Great, is the brass chimney cap an original feature?

8. Charobin

Charobin Member

[​IMG]

'Dorothea' – a narrow gauge steam locomotive of a type built by Hunslet of Leeds for use in the slate quarries of Wales has just celebrated her 110th birthday by being steamed as a complete locomotive for the first time since her restoration from near scrap condition.

The locomotive is owned by Kay Bowman, of the Launceston Steam Railway, who has spent the last twenty-two years carrying out a painstaking restoration of the locomotive that was regarded by many as the 'Mission Impossible' of narrow gauge projects.

Acquired from the late Dave Walker in 1989 as a kit of parts – albeit with a number missing - work had reached a stage in 2001 enabling 'Dorothea' to celebrate her centenary by steaming with a boiler and saddle tank borrowed from sister locomotive 'Covertcoat'. Continued work has seen her own boiler restored and passed for service, and her saddle tank repaired, as well as a number of parts either being acquired or made.

Kay's aim throughout has been to use as much of the original locomotive as possible, to retain 'Dorothea's' history and character, and this has led to the restoration taking much more time than otherwise would have been the case. For example, a new saddle tank could have been made (as it has for 'Covertcoat') in far less time than carefully replacing just those sections which were unfit for further service, yet the longer route has resulted in a locomotive that oozes character.

Throughout the restoration Kay has been able to call upon the expertise of her engineer husband, Nigel, who has been involved with this type of locomotive since purchasing his own – 'Lilian' – as a teenager. However, she has been determined to do as much of the work herself as possible. “There are some tasks where I just don't have the physical strength required” she says, “so I have been grateful for the help I have been given. In any case, sometimes two (or more) pairs of hands are needed, but otherwise I have restored, made or fitted the various parts myself.”

'Dorothea' was steamed on Sunday 13th November and taken successfully the full length of the railway to Newmills. All went well and without incident, the engine performing very well. “It gives a real sense of achievement to be at the regulator of a live engine after so many years of work.” said Kay; “It will take me a while to become used to the engine and how it needs to be managed, but I am very pleased with the way that everything has gone today.”

A certain amount of finishing work is required before 'Dorothea' can enter full service – draw-gear needs to be fitted, together with an air-pump for the continuous brakes throughout the train. The cab has to be completed, and then the locomotive is to be painted in its original livery. Having started life hauling slate wagons in the Dorothea Quarry in North Wales, a new life will soon start, hauling passenger trains on the Launceston Steam Railway.

9. Charobin

Charobin Member

A trip to the F&WHR has been talked about - I'm sure given the spirit of cooperation between the two organisations a detour to the WHHR could be arranged.

Not sure. Given how authentic Kay wants Dorothea to be I would think it is but will double check.

Charlie

10. Richieboy

Richieboy New Member

I have to say a HUGE well done to all involved, it is a truly fantastic achievement to restore a loco from that condition with a level of originality. It is all to easy (and often cheaper!) to make new rather than mend.

I can only imagine the elation that everyone who has contributed must have felt when she lived again for the 1st time in so long.

Many congratulations and long may she continue in service.

Best wishes.

Rich.

11. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

That is brilliant news. I hope there will be something to mark the occasion of Dorothea's first passenger run. Well done to everyone that made this happen!

12. Charobin

Charobin Member

Possibly - but too early to say just yet - Kay would like to get D finished and painted before thinking about a launch into passenger service.

13. Charobin

Charobin Member

Sneak peak of D:

[​IMG]

You'll have to wait a little while longer to see the rest of her though.

Her first solo passenger runs will be publicised once we know when they will be.

14. Charobin

Charobin Member

If you want to see Dorothea, she will be on display for our Easter trains - although not quite finished. There is a possibility that she may even be steamed and double head a small number of the Easter trains as part of her running in process but her full launch and first solo passenger trains will be later in the summer.

15. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Charlie -
    the Southern Miniature Railways link in your signature does not appear to be working.

16. Charobin

Charobin Member

If you happen to be in the West Country this weekend and like little green Hunslets, a trip to Launceston on Sunday might be worthwhile...

17. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Charlie -
    the Southern Miniature Railways link in your signature is now working, and most interesting! :)

18. Charobin

Charobin Member

[​IMG]

She should be moving in public tomorrow provided no problems are encountered. On the day updates of her activities will be on our Facebook page - which you don't need a Facebook account to view.

19. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

Feeling incredibly annoyed to live in Sheffield right now... I hope to see it in the summer though, just need to drop my parents a few hints and do a bit of pestering!

20. Charobin

Charobin Member

[​IMG]

All went well - pics and video on our website.