If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LU 150

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Christopher125, Nov 8, 2011.

1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Re: LU 150 plans...

I doubt those kind of Knuckledraggers come on NP.....

So why would something 'interesting' be on an engineers train ?, some kind of trial run ?.

2. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

3. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Would be good if they could reunite all of the LT panniers!

4. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Well 7752 is mainline registered isnt it? couldnt vintage trains come up with a suitable tour programe to make it cost effective to bring her down to the smoke? and then we could see 2 LT panniers on LT does the EOR have a mainline connection at the Epping end off the LT line, or are clearances to low to enable stock to be stabled there because if you want to do some something like getting as many ex Lt panniers togeether and where possible in steam, the EOR might be a possible option ?

5. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

AFAIK the EOR does not currently have a connection to LUL

The Eastern end of the LUL Central line is not connected to any surface gauge lines except after passing through tube gauge tunnels at Stratford. Large rail-mounted plant needed to work on that section is usually delivered by road to Hainault depot.

6. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Dont forget 5786 will be out of overhaul this summer!

7. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

Further to Wenlocks' comments, the EOR tracks are STILL IN PLACE all the way to Epping (with the rails widened to form a trap point arrangement). As mentioned the tunnels around Stratford are the limiting factor for "mainline gauged/sized" equipment.

EOR has invested in building a concrete unloading pad at North Weald (which the driver from Alleys commented was the "best he had seen in preservation") to assist both our arrivals and we are also pleased to welcome any approaches from LU, as I believe has happened previously during LU engineering work around the early 2000's, and earlier than that when the LU stock was moved to Ongar.

Of course with the rails still in place, this does open up the possibilities in the future for visiting LU stock onto the (un-electrified) branch, subject to the provision of the normal LU safety arrangements and a battery locomotive.

EOR is the only "preserved" line of the LU network, and we look forward to working with the other organisations and playing our part in celebrating LU150 next year (with both train services and our collection of heritage LT buses).

Regards, Simon

8. james1983

james1983 Member

I've just popped into work and can confirm the following after looking at the ewsa,

Train 546:

Locomotive, flat wagon, steam locomotive, Sarah Siddons, locomotive - max length 75m

Outward path:

Lillie bridge to Kensington olympia reverse then runs to earls court, High street ken up to Edward road. It is then running to moorgate sub gap and back to Edgware road in and around two other engineers trains.

Leaves Edgware road back via the same route. Leaves earls court back up to Kensington Olympia. Reverses at Olympia and stables back into Lillie bridge.

Let the rumours start on which pannier it is!

Lastly it's this Saturday into Sunday morning.

9. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director

Amazing! Cadged a brake van trip on an engineering train worked by a pannier. Lille Bridge - H St Ken (rev) - Whitechapel (rev) - Mansion House (WATER!!!) - Victoria - Lille Bridge.

Therefore need the track H.St Ken to Moorgate with steam! As Metrop electric locos worked to the City on M-F peak services they were "easy" Baker St eastwards but very rare on to Lille Bridge.
    Sorry to be nostalgic but that was a v spl night in 1971+ I will post details+maybe colour film of the run nearer to LT150.

Seeing this convoy at K.O. is doable-nearly light!! Good luck to NP members who see this.
    Many many thanks for the advanced gen--makes me glad I follow N.P.!!!

10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

Rumour has it the loco involved is Quainton's Beattie Well Tank. Make of this what you will.

11. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Getting back to the LU150 , what lines are suitable for steam , i assume the metropolitan and district/ circle are, but what other so far not used previously would be possibles ?

12. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer

Sorry Spam, that rumour is incorrect. I saw the loco yesterday but I won't post photos of it until the job is finished and the loco is ready to depart from London.

Regards,

Dan

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Edit, already corrected.

14. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

I must admit that talk of a Well Tank puzzled me.

15. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer

I think the choice will surprise people, but, and I am sorry if this sounds patronising as it is not meant to, but let's wait until after the event.

Regards,

Dan

16. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

So now we know where the missing MN 350018 from Portland has gone, gauging trials on the LU :)

17. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired

The forum at it's very best, the childish "I know something you don't know" brigade are out in full force.

18. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

There have been some childish posts of that kind but perhaps, in this case, people have been kind enough to tell all they are able without getting into trouble with employers or clients?

I imagine very few forum members will be able to go to London and stay up all night on Sunday trying to get fleeting glimpses of 'something' going on behond high walls and fences (I live in London and will stay in bed - but good luck to any who do go!!). But enough has been hinted to make me look forward to some interesting news, and hopefully some photos & videos from authorised participents, early next week. So I have no objection to 'teasers' of this kind.

19. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director

Good luck to anyone who does try! That's what the hobby is about. I would have defo tried for this when I lived in London.
    All night buses make it much easier+cheaper than in towns outside London.
    I am v impressed that TfL is marking LU150 in style + will be supporting as much of the activities as poss.
    Anyone planning to view at Olympia needs to be careful+check how far the train will go as it could reverse opp the former Warwick Rd Goods.Perhaps an insider could advise.

btw I have had to make "coded" posts in the past whenever infomation is sensitive but yet can still be useful. This event is an example--we have been leaked the gen but the loco will be revealed later. Sometimes a loco planned as a replacement on a tour (GBV) may be known but the contract unsigned. In this situation it can be ok to hint that "another loco has/will be sourced....."without breaking a confidence or annoying the loco owner BUT informing NP members that a positive outcome is likely. Its no use giving out gen + then the source refusing to trust you in future.

20. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Possibly a reason for the secrecy is that if this is a test run and some aspect of it fails for any reason, meaning there will be no steam under London during the event, it will avoid disappointment for enthusiasts and embarrassment for TfL? Best to keep quiet until a big announcement is (hopefully) made. :tape: