If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR Spring Gala, first 2 weekends in May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by mike1522, Mar 7, 2012.

1. MarkBilling

MarkBilling New Member

Re the short freight, taken from the facebook page:

Reason there was only 3 was because those 3 are braked, others aren't, because those 3 only were used meant there was no need to either run the brake van round each time or have a brake van at each end

2. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry - missed this one yesterday.

It certainly theoretically "do-able" in the morning as the Northern Driver has a break at Whitby, meaning the Northern unit leaves Glaisdale at 11:37 and gets back at 13:05, a time of 1 hour 28 minutes. The timings for last and next Sundays' service is 1 hour 30 minutes in the morning and 1 hour 28 minutes in the afternoon, so it is very tight. It has been done - 75029's test run in February - but back when we first started, and West Coast were our operator, they felt it too tight to schedule regularly. We did the first one in 1 hour 29 minutes and the second in 1 hour 24 minutes last Sunday.

Network Rail are currently preparing to replace 4 Bridges of very similar design to the infamous Bridge 30 on the NYMR (the new deck sections look very like the ones on Bridge 30 too!). There are on the approach to Glaisdale Station, just Lealholm side of Galisdale and 2 very close to each other near Danby. Lifting the speed restrictions off these is going to ease timings by a few minutes, so that may make it more comfortable.

Running round at Battersby is quite complex and time consuming as it is not a system intended for anything other than occasional use. Do things in slightly the wrong order or not quick enough, and the system locks for 6 minutes, which on a 25 minute run-round is quite a bit!

The afternoon one is impossible. The unit leaves Glaisdale at 15:15 and gets back at 16:25 - just 1 hour 10 minutes.

That said, there is a view that for Galas, we should put the train out on the Branch and not try the normal through service, particularly if, as at present, there is only 1 Whitby loco, so there has to be a loco change each time at Grosmont. This may enable a Whitby to Battersby in the morning (which was the heavier loaded last Sunday) and a Whitby Glaisdale or Whitby Goathland in the afternoon.

From 2013, there is likely to be a much longer summer service on the branch, which will probably include the Sundays of NYMR Galas.

The NYMR is planning an enhanced service for the period of the Bridge renewals (Jubilee week) as we will be able to operate while the rest of the branch is closed. Details should be available shortly.

I suspect 69023 had a short goods at least in part to ensure no problems keeping to time on the bank! Was certainly longer with larger locos.

Steven

3. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Thanks for that, Steven. I think that's my first "move" on Sunday sorted then.

4. loco cleaner

loco cleaner New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I understand that both Bittern and 70000 will be leaving on Wednesday 16th for Tyne yard. They will finish running on the NYMR on Sunday 13th.

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    More a problem with the A4 loco soc, methinks, but I'll let him say why.

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Required a few jobs doing to it, I understand. Plenty of action without it, though, with 825, 4464, 60007, 69023, 75029, 80072 & 92214 out and about. Oh, and D5061.

7. MarkBilling

MarkBilling New Member

Oh ok, interesting. Thanks Steve.

8. loco cleaner

loco cleaner New Member

Now listed on UK steam info, no times as yet.

9. wazza588

wazza588 Member

A selection of my photos from Saturday: steam on heritage lines -  
    Much more successful than last week! Kept to pretty well time as well - got to be a first?
    Thanks to all who were involved over the last two weekends.

Richard

10. rickd

rickd New Member

grosmont to tyne yard times for bittern and britannia now on uk steam

11. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Had a couple of very good days at the NYMR on Saturday and Sunday. Managed to get a ride behind all locos, except 69023, on Saturday, including a short trip with top-and-tail A4s and a visit to Whitby. Sunday started with a couple of nice noisy runs with 80072 to Grosmont and 75029 to Battersby (no problem with the 0 minute connection at 11.03 at Grosmont - both trains arrived at virtually the same, but 75029 stopped for water). Then 69023 on the Saloon up the bank to Goathland. After that, things went slightly wrong as I was hoping to finish with another noisy full line run with 80072, but, for some reason, locos were not longer workiing the adverttised trains and I had to make do with 60007 instead - oh well!

12. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

13. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

No I do not currently volunteer
  14. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
  15. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    These short films were taken on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway during the Saturday of the 2012 Spring Steam Gala.

Britannia at Fen Bog
    70000 Britannia at Fen Bog North Yorkshire Moors Railway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sir Nigel Gresley on the teak set, 80072 on the freight and 92214 at Darnholm
    Darnholme on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Britannia at Esk Valley
    70000 Britannia runs past Esk Valley cottages on the NYMR 12th May 2012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Bittern at Esk Valley with the teak set
    Bittern runs past the Esk Valley cottages on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

80072, 69023 and 92214 at Grosmont
    Grosmont NYMR, and a number of locomotive movements including a service departure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

S15 825 at Moor Gates
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68685377@N04/7179810733/in/photostream/

Regards

16. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    These short films were taken on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway during the Saturday of the 2012 Spring Steam Gala.

Britannia at Fen Bog
    70000 Britannia at Fen Bog North Yorkshire Moors Railway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sir Nigel Gresley on the teak set, 80072 on the freight and 92214 at Darnholm
    Darnholme on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Britannia at Esk Valley
    70000 Britannia runs past Esk Valley cottages on the NYMR 12th May 2012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Bittern at Esk Valley with the teak set
    Bittern runs past the Esk Valley cottages on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

80072, 69023 and 92214 at Grosmont
    Grosmont NYMR, and a number of locomotive movements including a service departure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

S15 825 at Moor Gates
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68685377@N04/7179810733/in/photostream/

Regards