If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

"Open Train Times" website - detailed train times online at last!

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by richards, Jan 29, 2012.

1. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This heard about this website from wnxx - it gives detailed info (including working timetables on the "advanced" mode) for any location/time.

Looking up this Saturday (4th Feb) for Carlisle, I can see the railtour arriving at 14:52hrs from Preston but also another West Coast light engine at 14:38. Is a box running ahead of the train?!
    Open Train Times

Clicking on the "i" button for the railtour (or any other train), I get full details of the running times from Preston to Carlisle including Pathing, Performance and Engineering allowances:
    Open Train Times

Richard

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    The loco leaving at 14.38 will be the electric heading up to Carnforth as the loco change is there on the return..

3. richards

Had another look at this, and the West Coast light engine is definitely FROM Carnforth to Carlisle direct, arriving a few minutes before the railtour.
    Open Train Times

Must be a coincidence with another light-engine move. Or it could be Galatea on a test run ... :flypig:

Richard

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I wonder if there is something we are not being told?

5. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

The light engine diesel working via the WCML from Carnforth to Carlisle will be to assist with shunting and stock movement etc at Carlisle given the very short servicing and turn around time for the steam locomotive. The same happened with the Steam Dreams train on 25 August last year. There should also be a path booked back for it from Carlisle to Carnforth.

6. richards

Thanks for the info. I guessed there was a sensible answer for this.

Maybe I can tick off another WR heritage diesel for haulage, even if it's only for a few yards. [retreats to diesel-powered bunker]

Richard

Richard

7. palace gates

palace gates Guest

I think its likely that the box will stay on the back on the trains journey to Carnforth.
    Thanks for the link to Open Train Times.No hideing things now!!!

8. 46203

46203 Member

I don't seem to be getting the same info as some others that have already posted. When I click on to the link, I get a list of trains at Carlisle on 04.02.12. There is no time of arrival applicable to the WCR charter, and when I click on the 'i' as suggested, I then get the message ' no detailed info at this time' all it shows is the Preston & Carlisle platform numbers. Can anyone help please?

9. 46203

46203 Member

Solved it, Ta.

10. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

It didn't in August it ran in a separate path behind the train to Carnforth but I cannot find a path for it's return in "Open Train Times" for this saturday, so perhaps that does suggest it will be tagged on the back over Shap. If it is that will certainly overload the Black 5.

11. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    unless it is assisting - in which case surely the tour participants should be told that the tour is a hybrid on the return, as distinct from the sparkling 100% steam hauled example last Saturday.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Must be missing something, I can only see 2 WCRC workings... 1 arriving, 1 departing ?

13. richards

Sorry - wasn't very clear in my first post. The "standard" view just seems to show passenger working. To get everything else, you need to click on the "Settings" button in the top right-hand corner and choose "Advanced Mode". Then freight/engineering/light-engine movements appear.

Richard

14. 46203

46203 Member

Yes, brain now into gear. Thank you.

15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I just wonder whether this is a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. If I were West Coast with the same shunt at Carlisle over four consecutive Saturdays then I would send the diesel up on Week 1, keep it there for the 4 movements and bring it back after Week 4. Only two paths needed and therefore more cost effective. I for one, credit WC with more sense than to consciously add a diesel to the consist and force the need for it to help the '5' southbound. There...a positive comment from an incurable optimist!!

16. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Nothing like an optimist - you might see me on sunny days - for the southbound run, but I will want to be assured about the situation southbound this Saturday - perhaps a southbound LE path will appear!

17. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

But wouldn't that leave a valuable asset out of use for 6 days of each of the next 4 weeks?

Still not sure why its needed anyway - the Castle over Shap tour did without a shunting box at Carlisle.

Anyway sure theres a reason.

18. palace gates

palace gates Guest

6:05 special
    I dont think that you can gleen what can happen from a previous working.It all depends on who's train it is and what operating company it is.Even if the operating company is the same there can be a difference in operating practice depending on how much money is paid by the tour operator for the tour.
    Anything is possible.Just look at the schedule that was obtained for the Top Gear special and yes it cost a lot to get on it.

19. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing. You should all perhaps temper your excitement over the discovery of Open Train Times and bear in mind that the first upload of any schedule onto TRUST (on which OTT presumably is based) is not necessarily the final version. Frequently, there can be several iterations, in between, and the inital upload merely serves to safeguard the base path. TRUST is an industry tool, not, contrary to popular belief, merely a source of information for enthusiasts and there is certainly no warranty implied to outside observers.

The illustration here is the hue & cry over a diesel supposedly being on the rear of next Saturday's train. We never proposed one and its presence is to assist with the shunt at Carlisle, during the foreshortened layover - it certainly has nothing to do with who is the promoter or operator of the train, although the last call is ours. On paper, it might have seemed obvious to include it on the consist to Carnforth but that is not the case, unless, as with any operation, changed circumstances (such as, say, weather) dictate.

The outfall however has been a flurry of panic/indignant posts on here and other sites, e-mails and a raft of telephone calls to the promoter's office, threatening cancellations of bookings, all of which is totally unnecessary and time-wasting.

Please take time to consider what is actually going on and think before you press 'Return'.

20. palace gates

palace gates Guest

J Shuttleworth
    I am a bit disappointed with your reply,but not surprised with the tone.