If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Aug 18, 2017.

1. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Had assumed the Waverley's for 2018 were waiting on a decision with 60103's availability. Interesting that it isn't down to be used, as some regular workings from York I'd imagine tick quite a few boxes for the NRM. Maybe it will be doing something else during the Summer holiday period. Nice to see 45596 appearing on some pool lists.

andalfi1 likes this.
  2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Indeed, maybe the premium of using 60103 is not necessary to sell out the Waverley?
    As you say great to think of 45596 a rake of maroons over the S&C on summer Sundays in the offing though.

andalfi1 likes this.
  3. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

You would think so, but the NRM (or their London based masters) seem to think otherwise.

Peter

4. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Yes that's an interesting one. I think WCRC departures from Waterloo are vanishingly rare? And it's often been said that WCRC don't have the clout required to get a decent path, which I believe involves persuading SWR to do some minor time tweaks on service trains.

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    One to watch. I'm not planning on repeating the 19 tours I did last year; I've already got four booked, but the cost of hotels is starting to get too burdensome. I'm already minded to rule out a couple I was interested in doing this year.

6. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I agree with Bulleid Pacific that the "Bournemouth Belle" is a a bit of wishful thinking.
    Getting a path out of Waterloo in the morning peak takes a great deal of discussion with SWR and NR and considerable good will from other TOC's and three FOC's. Reading the latest edition of Southern Express (magazine of MNLPS) discussions started in 2013 to run the Bournemouth Belle recreation on 5/7/2017 and took many iterations of the plan to create the fast timings that were enjoyed by the passengers and watchers.

Just submitting a bid and hoping, just doesn't wash for access to Waterloo or any other busy terminal in the morning peak.

Cheers, Neil

PS I thought the valleys in Bournemouth were Chines....

26D_M likes this.
  7. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    The alternative is that it goes around the Staines loop, which is normally met with sighs of despair from the timers; I can't say I mind that much. As I said, if things stack nicely together, it could be a pretty reasonable run, regardless of whether it goes round via Staines or runs from Victoria instead. Will have to get through a railtour-strewn April before I decide anything.

Briefly looking at my records, I've had seven Waterloo steam departures since in the past nine years, of which three were with WCRC and four with DBC. I've had just under 50 per cent success in running the direct route through Wimbledon following a Waterloo departure, and the only time I did so with WCRC was with 34067 in 2013. Still, that's seven more than would have been forseen in 1967.

8. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Also as it says same route back from Bournemouth, so not sure where the loco will be turned to allow that to happen.

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Would five hours be enough time to turn at Eastleigh and service the locomotive? A fair point, all the same.

10. Will RL

Will RL Member

9th July also sees a repeat of The End Of Southern Steam from last year with a ‘Southern Pacific’ running Waterloo - Yeovil (deisel to Weymouth) and Weymouth - Waterloo via Bournemouth.

It’s also noteworthy that although the celebrations marking the end of steam on BR on 11th August are maybe not as authentic as we enthusiasts would have liked with regards to route, loco choice etc given what was accomplished on the 40th and 45th anniversaries. However the addition of the Waverley (with it’s appealing loco pool) has resulted in 3 separate steam tours over the S&C. It will feel more like a gala event in the northern fells if all goes to plan, which seems just as fitting to mark the end of steam...

11. Gladiator 5076

I am not familiar you would turn a loco at Eastleigh without going all the way to Salisbury. Never noticed any way of doing to and my Quail map seems to confirm that. Is there still a working turntable in the works complex?
    Of course I guess like last year the stock will have to go to Poole, unless there is a diesel on the back to haul it back to Eastleigh or Salisbury. Either way even with 5 hours would give a lot of 45MPH tender first running if just a light engine. Perhaps it is a surprise second loco on the way back?

12. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

And even that brilliantly executed Bournemouth Belle had a return run diesel hauled to the outskirts of Southampton and then via Romsey and Laverstock. If all the co-operation that went into that couldn't achieve a run back on the direct route, I can't see this year's RTC version doing it.

13. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

There are tracks through the Eastliegh depot that make it possible to turn a loco, look at google maps. SD tried to run a trip to Winchester Dec 2016 on a Saturday, but it went to Salisbury instead, since the depot was closed I think and there was either no one available to open it up, or theywould not open it ( need to check the thread to confirm.

14. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

from the Bournemouth Belle thread -
    -

15. Romsey

Retired SPM
    A couple of clarifications -
    There isn't a turntable in the works complex and I don't think there ever was one.
    Eastleigh Depot is effectively a private siding for DB Cargo and their associated companies. It's up to the charter company or their TOC to arrange access and paying for any extra staffing that may be required.

Berthing the stock in the Bournemouth area would also discussions with SWR for use of Poole Sidings or Bournemouth Depot. Bournemouth Middle Sidings are used for layovers of the hourly Cross Country service.

Cheers, Neil

16. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Anybody fancy trying to re-instate the third side of the triangle to Bournemouth West? The viaduct seems to be still reasonably intact.

17. Romsey

Retired SPM
    Unless there is a pressing business case for SWR or NR to make the investment, it would be classified as W I B N.

The viaduct conveys traction current supply cables which would need to be moved.
    To reinstate a single lead connection would need at least 4 point ends and a crossover moved within the depot plus a number extra shunt signals and a exit signal from the new spur.
    To install the pointwork and reconfigure the signalling would take maybe 3 or 4 52 hour weekend possessions.

Cheers, Neil

18. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Just received email of the A3’s RTC tours for Summer, I will have a trip or two, CME especially.

19. Gladiator 5076

Scarborough & Ealing Broadway may be a pairing that have not met up at either end of a railtour before I suspect.

20. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Looks good but as @BigAl suggests treat as indicative or preliminary at this stage.