If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR wagons 2016

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by olly5764, Jan 10, 2016.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just a quick heads up for those of you who are interested, the goods is running in the up comming gala and we are offering brake van rides, tickets for which go on sale shortly from the ticket office at www.svr.co.uk if any of you want to say hello look out for the devilishly good looking guard on the goods on Friday morning!

gios likes this.
  2. olly5764

Engineer
    I've just had confirmation they are on sale now so go, stop reading this and buy em all!

3. olly5764

Engineer
    Just looking at the numbers, the views still keep rising, with two months left of this year, I wonder if we can pass 20,000? Either way, many thanks to my loyal readers.
    So to business, work has continued on 17410, the collection of new parts for the brake gear is coming together nicely, hopefully in the next month or so we can start removing the worn out bits from the van herself.
    The Southern van has now had warning devices fitted to the lamp irons, the idea being these will whack you on the head before the lamp irons do, meanwhile the floor in what is now the south end of the van, is complete, and attention has turned to what is now the north end (If this all sounds familiar, the van has been for a spin, and is now facing the other way)
    The conflat has recently had the benefit of the attentions of the Junior club, many hands, as they say, make light work, in addition to this, work has started repairing the supporting brackets on the outside of her, until the plasma cutter packed up, hopefully this can be fixed quickly.
    Next week is of course, gala weekend, and I believe some of the lads will be at Bewdley at least on Saturday, bring some cash with you as they will be selling second hand books from the goods shed, and will hopefully also have chance for a good chat. We are of course also running a goods train, which we are carrying passengers in the brake van, I think tickets are still available at www.svr.co.uk and if anyone fancies coming to join us, no prior qualifications are needed, we can find a roll for just about everyone, feel free to contact the volunteer liaison office at www.svr-vlo.org.uk.
    Hope to see you all at the Gala
    Olly

gios, nick813, D1039 and 1 other person like this.
  4. olly5764

Engineer
    Not forgotten about you folks, just having my hands full with a few problems at home, should be back updating you in a week or two.

oddsocks, D1039, ghost and 1 other person like this.
  5. olly5764

Engineer
    Unexpectedly I do have a small update, I had chance to call in at Bewdley tonight and found Martin and Kev hard at work, as I am told they often are on most Wednesdays. The lads were hard at work on the Southern Brake van, which now has a large hole in the outside on the river side, and a good chunk of the north end veranda is also missing, removed without removing the sand box, but I doubt it will go back on without it. You'll know when we remove this..... you'll hear the swearing from wherever you are!
    see you soon
    Olly

ghost and oddsocks like this.
  6. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    I presume these are on the lamp irons for the side lamps? What form do these warning devices take? I know from bitter experience how much those lamp irons hurt!

7. olly5764

Engineer
    A strip of wood sticking out from the lamp Iron, (fairly thin wood) so it whacks you before the metalwork does.

8. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    I thought you were going to say "Cowbells":)

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  9. olly5764

Engineer
    Same idea I reckon

10. olly5764

Engineer
    20161203_121146.jpg The above image shows the condition of the drop links from 17410. The drop link is on the left, the remains of the old bushes are on the right.
    About a week ago I spotted a window of opportunity to make some serious headway with this wagon so after a few evenings midweek at Bewdley the last of the new brake pins have been made and after much cursing and swearing, a group of us managed to get the first bow-girder and it's associated brake blocks and drop links off.
    The old bushes were in a poor state as can be seen, however they seemed determined to cling to life. While none of us are afraid of hard work, we are also not the sort to struggle unnecessarily and as the stove in the van was burning nicely, the offending ends of the drop links went into the fire to cook while we took a tea break. With the ends now red hot, some swift action with a "biffing stick" soon removed the old bushes. The holes on the damaged ends of the first pair have been trued up and the first drop link has its new bushes in place. Depending on how my week goes the second one may be done before the weekend.
    Meanwhile in the shed, 55777 has had the rotten floor planks removed from the cabin and the same for the river side wall while the south end veranda and sand box has now has a nice new coat of red paint. Attention will now turn to fitting a new floor, no small job with the handbrake pedestal in the way!
    If any of you are travelling on the santa specials, feel free to take a break at Bewdley and pop round to see what we are doing,
    All the best
    Olly

michaelh, nick813 and ghost like this.
  11. olly5764

Engineer
    As I drove home tonight the sun was just setting over Worcestershire, and in the same way, the sun is slowly setting on our year. This will probably be my last update of 2016, so firstly I'd like to thank the loyal readers who have given us close to 22,000 hits.
    Work on 17410 is progressing well, I believe the weight boxes are going back together having being repaired and the steelwork of the body is receiving some electric glue in certain places.
    Underneath the wagon, work is progressing on the brakes, the repaired drop links are now primed and hanging up in 80982 drying off, as are the brake carriers, which having had a good clean up, were found to be in good order. Hopefully attention will turn to the bow girder, which hopefully I can con someone else into cleaning and painting! I want to have a good look at it though, as there are a couple of interesting bends in it. these may well be deliberate as a crude form of adjustment (slightly shortening the straight parts by getting them hot and bending them) of as a result of wear and tear, which will of course dictate not only the method of repair but also if we bother to repair it at all (If it is an adjustment bend, we may be better leaving it alone).
    There is a provisional date for this loco going to Kidderminster to have her wheels taken out and the tyres sent off for a skim. This will be in the summer of next year, and without saying too much about where the wheels may be going, I did joke today about possibly taking them on holiday with me.
    Onto another brake van, the "Southern" pillbox, 55577.
    The handbrake pedestal has been lifted to replace the floor underneath of it. This was held down with 4 pretty impressive bolts. I say was, unfortunately time has not been kind to these, their original 3/4" diameter wasted away down to in some cases about 3/16". Being made of poor, low grade war time steel, it is no wonder these have only lasted 75 years! The picture below shows the size of these beasts, that is a 12" rule behind the damaged bolt in the back ground.
    bolt.jpg
    Producing replacements is going to be interesting, the length of these bolts will make single point turning awkward with the centre of the bolt prone to bouncing and "Chatter" and the option of roller boxing not available to us, so some good wishes and positive thoughts will be appreciated.
    Outside the goods shed the conflat is also progressing well, and we will soon be able to turn our attentions to the new kerb rails on this, hopefully that will be a project for the early part of 2017. Once that is done, serious attention can turn to the floor and chain pockets. Early 2017 could be an interesting time.
    And with that, all that remains is to say that on behalf of both myself, and the lads in the Down yard at Bewdley, a ery Merry Christmas and all the best for 2017
    Olly

Nick Gough, oddsocks, ghost and 4 others like this.
  12. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Thanks for all the updates over the year.
    Seasons greetings to you and all involved.

D1039, oddsocks, Paul42 and 3 others like this.
  13. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Thanks for all your updates over 2016 Olly. Merry Christmas to you and all the wagon gang at the SVR and good luck for 2017 and all your projects.

Keith

olly5764 likes this.
  14. olly5764

Engineer
    Well, an unexpected final update of 2016. Today saw D1015 bring the RECTANK and van 55 arrive at Bewdley from Kidderminster. Not sure what the plan will be with the RECTANK as there are a other wagons in the queue before her but she's a poorly girl.
    On that note, hope you all have a great 2017.
    Olly

15. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips New Member

A truck mechanic's life is the life for me.
    About half way between Bewdley & Arley on the SVR
    Didn't a pair of bogies turn up in Bewdley goods yard a few weeks ago? If I've remembered it right, they looked very much like the ones on the Rectank. According to svrwiki, 55 is returning to Hampton Loade in a couple of months. I'll see what I can find out on Saturday.
    Saturday will be our last work day at Bewdley this year, so I'll try to give a final 2016 update then. In the mean time, here's a photo of the current state of progress with 55577.

[​IMG]