If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR wagons 2017

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by olly5764, Jan 8, 2017.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry I've not been around lately, learning to drive has been taking priority. I'm off to Devon this weekend but hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly

oddsocks and ghost like this.
  2. olly5764

Engineer
    Well, that's a Diesel gala, a who slew of footplate turns and a holiday to the South Devon Railway, done, now back to what is vaguely normal.
    First of all to bring you up to date with work on the Conflat. Unfortunately, some work has been found to be needed on the brakes (A familiar story) however, we did test the vacuum brakes, and after working the cylinder up and down a few times, we finally got it to behave itself. It's at this point, I feel its a good to introduce you to a valuable member of the department Ben. This is Ben.... 20170603_113928.jpg Ben, as you can see, is a vacuum testing rig, with a single cylinder Villiers engine at one end and a two cylinder vacuum pump at the other. Bonus points if anyone can enlighten me as to what B.E.N. stands for?
    Work on 55577 has been marching on, and she is now wearing a coat of top coat on the river side (Must admit i've not checked the rock side) and a new floor too. Thoughts have turned to what is comming in next, which gives an indication of how close this is.
    Meanwhile on the opposite side of the yard, the LNER coach lads are making equally large steps with 17410, although this will need to go to Kidderminster at some point to give the tyres a skim as this is a little beyond what we can do in our little machine shop.
    Hopefuly the updates will now start to flow more regularly, and I'll see you next week,
    Olly

ghost, oddsocks, 2392 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    B = 'brake'?

E = 'equipment'?

Robin

olly5764 likes this.
  4. olly5764

Engineer
    Just need the "N"
    Could also be British Engineering something

5. olly5764

Engineer
    Sorry it has been so long, I've had quite a lot on, however the lads at Bewdley have been busy.
    The southern brake van is now outside having some final finishing off done on her. One or two issues have shown up with the vacuum brakes, it seems that the ravages of time have not been kind to the war time steel of the brake pipes, and she seems to be leaking like a tad in that area. Hopefully a little bit of electric glue will help fill up the holes, but until we find all the leaks, BEN the vacuum tester will be working overtime, but it's certainly hoped that this wagon will be out and about to be seen along side some ex-Southern Region visitors in September.
    Meanwhile work on the conflat is awaiting some repairs to the brakes (A seemingly re-occurring theme at the moment) and the SECR wagon has been moved closer to the goods shed in the hope that we can get a bit of work started on her. This wagon was last done using re-cycled timbers from a china clay wagon, timbers which may have already been half a century or more in age, hopefully with the benefit of newer wood this time, the repair will last a good bit longer.

ghost and 30854 like this.
  6. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Glad to see normal service is resumed Ian!

Sounds like you've all been busy, keep up the good work!

Keith

7. olly5764

Engineer
    Well the rest of them have, I've been AWOL, lol

ghost likes this.
  8. olly5764

Engineer
    This week it is a tale of two brake vans.
    55577 has once more taken a huge bound forward. The vacuum pipes have been repaired. These have required new pipework, the words on the old pipework were as follows....
    "We found what we thought were pin holes in the pipework, until we took it off and one of the pipes came in two." So in the event, we decided that a little bit of new pipe and a lot of swearing was probably the best approach. I'm not sure if the swearing had and effect on the pipework but it seemed vital at the time.
    One curiosity about the construction of this van is that with most of the joints almost inaccessible and almost impossible to get a spanner or set of stilsons on, they were all threaded joints, with the exception of two, these being where the two take offs for the vacuum cylinders are, with these joints easily accessible and perfect for a threaded joint, they are of course welded.
    The wagon has also received her first coat of sign writing, Steve was experimenting with some new paint to see if we can get away with one coat, I'm not sure to what extent this was a success.
    17410's third set of brake gear is ready to go back on, and would have done so had I not been seconded to go and second man a diesel owing to a failed loco. The LNER carriage lads are making swift progress with this van, and it won't be long before the Loco department will be lighting engines up on some of her discarded old timbers, with some good progress having been made on her cabin. Hopefully the brake gear will now go back on this Saturday and the final set dropped off.
    Inside the goods shed, the Stafford road van is back in, (That's number 143) in need of some attention to the three skylights in the hope that we will be able to do away with the tarpaulin that has been over her roof for a few months, hopfully this will not be a long job.
    See you soon
    Olly

oddsocks likes this.
  9. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Would be interested to hear a bit more about this, what paint etc. as I use 2 coats of normal Williamson's paint cos I don't know any better!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

10. olly5764

Engineer
    Didn't go so far as to ask what he was using, I don't like to disturb Steve when he's doing this.

gwalkeriow likes this.
  11. flying scotsman123

I wish I got the same! :)

"You spelt that wrong!"

"Are you sure that's the right number?"

"That bit's on the wonk"

gwalkeriow likes this.
  12. olly5764

Engineer
    The only solution to that is to cut off their tea and biscuit rations

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  13. flying scotsman123

I fear I may not get very far on that, no I think I shall have to settle with a mere gesture, or, if preoccupied, a couple of short words... :)

olly5764 likes this.
  14. olly5764

Engineer
    Despite the weather, it's been all go this week.
    55577 has had her poorly brake cylinder removed, and sent away to Kidderminster for repair. Hopefully this will be back with us by next week and ready to go back on. With Gala approaching, the pressure is on to get this finished.
    She has also had her second coat of a lot of the sign writing applied, although the torrential down pour that we suffered at Bewdley on Saturday affected the ability to do this.
    With rain pouring down outside and water washing under the goods shed door, attention turned to Stafford road van number 143. The skylights are needing a few leaks patching up, and the roof has received a good scrub. Assuming the canvass is still good order, the roof will get a coat of paint before the top coat goes near the sides.
    The sides themselves have recieved a few new planks and a some patches of primer, while the first bits of under coat have started to go on the river side.
    Out in the yard, the chain pockets have gone back onto the conflat, all be it, just bolted in place at the moment with the need to drill a few holes in the new kerb rail, hopefully this will be riveted back on soon, and hopefully a spot of riveting on 17410's brake gear at the same time.
    Talking of 17410, the third set of brake gear is back under 17410 (much to the relief of the lads who have been tripping over it for weeks) ualthough probably to their annoyance, it has been replaced by the fourth and final set, which has been dropped off, dismantled for assessment, and the bushes hammered out of the drop links. Once more these will get new bushes pushed in, cleaned and a coat of Red Lead (Which is neither Red nor does it contain Lead these days) and then that part of the project will be finished, although of course, on the basis that if you are going to use them then you are going to wear them out, it won't be my last post about brakes, as there are the ones on the conflat to repair and the SECR wagon to examine.
    See you soon
    Olly

gios, ghost, oddsocks and 2 others like this.
  15. olly5764

Engineer
    Sorry for the slight delay this week. I hope anyone reading this from over the pond had a nice eclipse, we had a partial one during a gala once!
    So to business. Following trouble with 55577's brakes, she has had both brake cylinders removed, a job which was made harder by them being seized. I'm not sure about Wailing and Gnashing of teeth, but there was much swearing and action with a crow bar. I believe by the time I post this, one of them should have been posted back to us, ready to be sworn at and put back on again.
    SECR open 12522 has been gaining some attention, her rock side door being removed and dismantled and the same for her kerb rail. The Kerb rails on these were only partial affairs, being little more than something to stop the doors falling off. They have, however, become life expired, and will be replaced.
    The conflat has had some more attention with a scraper and a paint brush, and is still waiting on some brake repairs.
    143 is now in top coat on one side and has the outline of some lettering on her, it is hard to believe how long it has been since this wagon was last done, it seems like yesterday, which is rather worrying.
    And finally, for those of you who haven't seen my post elsewhere, the valley has announced two new events for next year, one of which, on June 2nd and 3rd 2018 we will be having a goods gala. I don't know any details at the moment but I'm sure more will be revealed as time goes by.
    Take care,
    Olly

cct man, gwalkeriow and ghost like this.
  16. olly5764

Engineer
    The keen eyed of you will notice that 55577 is now the other side of the fence waiting for her moment of glory in next weeks gala. Something for you to look out for if you are attending next weekend, this brake van carries the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything, see if you can find it!
    With 143 in the shed, the SECR open has finally properly entered the works, she is getting new kerb rails (Which are only short on this wagon) and new timber, along with a general clean down and re-paint. This wagon was one of the last of the pre-grouping vehicles constructed, not being built until 1922, how ever her open spoked wheels and SECR pull out keep axle boxes make her look like a much older design.
    Talking of the axle boxes, these have an awkward Achilles heel, as the keeps don't simply drop away when un-bolted, as per the GWR / RCH desigh, instead they slide in / out like a draw. The problem with this is that if you are not careful, when you carry out a pad exam and pull the keeps out, on pushing them back in, it is very easy to catch the top of the pad on the journal, causing the pad to simply roll up, leaving the journal with no lubrication and causing a hot box, great care is therefor needed when putting the keeps back in.
    For those of you attending the gala, hopefully the down yard will be open to allow visitors to winder round, although please don't enter any buildings or vehicles without being invited, as this is still a working area. Hopefully, Foggy, Compo and Clegg will have their book stall out in the doorway of the goods shed, the proceeds from this all go to adding to the departments funds, and providing much needed equipment.
    As I'm sure you are aware, there will be brake van rides on offer and a goods train, so I hope you all come along despite the road closures and give your utmost in support.
    Olly

gios, gwalkeriow and michaelh like this.
  17. olly5764

Engineer
    Evening everybody, it seems since my last ramblings that we may have had a little bit of a gala. We did of course have a goods train and there were several chances to ride in the brake vans. Brakevan 55577 made her return to service and from our point of view, things went very well, thank you to all of you who came to see us.
    In the shed at the moment is 143 which has had a coat of top coat on her river side.
    17410, which the LNER carriage group are doing for us, is progressing nicely, the last set of her brake gear is ready to go back on the wagon, that leaves just a couple of bits for us to do to the brakes then it'll be time to crack on with something else.
    Outside we have the Conflat which needs some attention to the brakes including building the Moreton clutch back up where this has worn. She also needs the floor replacing, and the buffers may also get changed to ones of the correct pattern.
    On the other side of the yard the SECR open is getting a little TLC. She's received new kerb rails, and has had some repairs to her corner plates. She has had several planks removed ready for replacement, but there is a some awkward bits of work to do on her below the sole bar too.
    Catch you soon,
    Olly

ghost, gios, oddsocks and 2 others like this.
  18. olly5764

Engineer
    I thought I'd better do a report as I'm not about at all next week and it's been so long you might all think I've died.
    17410's new brake slack adjuster has been riveted together and fitted, the riveting process using components salvaged from the old brake gear to hold it together while we put the new rivets in (the GWR would be proud) however with this and the long pull for now back in situ unless the LNER lads find anything unexpected, this concludes my involvement in that project.
    The SVR is currently toadless as 68501 is in our own works for a repaint and patch up to the bodywork, the step boards are off for replacement and the roof has already been re-painted with some new timber going into the veranda end.
    Meanwhile outside, attention will be moving (with some urgency) to the brakes on the conflat, which I'm hoping to get done before the floor goes in, before the SECR wagon gets the same treatment (although some elements of these projects may run side by side for more efficient manufacture)
    The SECR has had new kerb rails fitted, which on this type of wagon, are only stubs, not extending the full length of the side, and new floor and body planks will soon be fitted.
    Hopefully I will be able to bring you more news in the next few weeks if my other rolls of driving/firing/guarding and real life don't get in the way
    Regards
    Olly

gwalkeriow, gios, ghost and 2 others like this.
  19. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Glad to hear you're still in the land of the living Olly! Thanks for the update report

Keith

20. olly5764

Engineer
    Lol, ta, its a relief to me too after my trip to work last night!