If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR wagons 2017

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by olly5764, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips New Member

A truck mechanic's life is the life for me.
    About half way between Bewdley & Arley on the SVR
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Wagon Department has got a new web site now. www.svrwagons.uk
    It needs a bit more content yet, so I'll be adding more information and keeping the updates going as I can.

gios, Bluenosejohn and 30854 like this.
  2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The new website looks fantastic. As one of those allergic to Faceache, you have my gratitude. :)

Graham Phillips likes this.
  3. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Is there any detail of Civil Engineering wagons and any work being carried out on them?
    I see that there is a SVR Wicki link but that would not answer my query. Just gives bare detail of for example Stored needs work.

4. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    there are some weeks where we all seem to be doing lots of infuriating little jobs, which while this can be annoying, as we just start to get our teeth into something, the job is finished, but on the up side, this article then more or less writes itself. Other weeks we make huge strides in one or two areas which are great for staff morale as there are great visible changes, however, owing to the relatively small number of ways available to me to say "We did this....." it makes this rather harder work, this week was one of the latter so please bare with me.
    Toad brake van 68501 is currently inside for a quick re-paint and minor repair. she is now sufficiently advanced for top coat to be going onto the body, and the river side of this is more or less done. She is also having new step boards made and these too are in top coat already.
    There are bits for a floor waiting to go into the conflat, and following a quick survey to see if any of her brake gear is also common to the SECR open (Not as mad as it sounds, there are only so many combinations of lengths and diameters of pins that you can use!) production of new brake pins for these two has started using recycled bits off of 17410, 68501 and 80982, as it is normally faster to skim worn parts down to the next size down than it it to fully replace them, as a result, this two has taken a huge leap forward, although as the usable recycled bits runs out, progress here will naturally slow down a bit.
    See you all soon
    Ian

cct man, Copper-capped, D1039 and 3 others like this.
  5. olly5764

Engineer
    I keep saying that when we have done lots of odds and ends the article writes itself, so I have no real excuse for being late with it this week, however here we are at last!
    Work on 68501 is progressing well, with most of the van in top coat, and paint being applied to the new step boards, hopefully no unforeseen problems will be discovered on this and she will be back out very soon.
    Outside in the yard, the conflat had some attention to her brake gear. For a change, not the machining of brake pins! The river side brake lever had become heavily where it engages with the clutch. the other side had suffered a similar issue presumable back in BR days, and so had a patch welded onto it. I'm pleased to report that our repair is not so noticable, but having taken the brake handle off, could we get the repaired part to go back on? Could we hell! Needless to say, there was a lot of scraping, banging and swearing to complete this simple job.
    The LMS brake is also getting some minor work in the form of a repair to the stove, this should be very quick and finished by next week.
    Wish us all luck!
    Olly

Bluenosejohn and ghost like this.
  6. olly5764

Engineer
    As I'm going into hiding for a couple if weeks, I thought I'd better get thus written in case you think I have vanished.
    Work has been concentrated to the LMS brake van and 68501 this week, although work on the chimney of the LM was slower than hoped, owing as ever to other commitments.
    68501 has had sign writing applied to her, and judging by the gaffer's comments about not being able to feel his fingers, not a job I'd fancy at this time of year.
    The 813 people are running a brakevan special next weekend, so hopefully some if you will come out to see that.
    Hopefully I will be able to give you further udates before Christmas but I hope you all understand we Care coming into a very busy time of the year.
    Regards
    Ian

ghost, oddsocks and Bluenosejohn like this.
  7. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips New Member

A truck mechanic's life is the life for me.
    About half way between Bewdley & Arley on the SVR
    The brake van rides went well despite the cold weather. It certainly made the stoves appreciated.
    Hampton Loade Station have posted a great video of 813 going through the tunnel.

GWR Toad 68501 was finished just in time and shunted out of the goods shed on the Wednesday before the brake van rides, to be replaced by GWR Mink 101961 and GWR Conflat 89860.

Updates on http://www.svrwagons.uk/news.html

cct man, gios, gwalkeriow and 2 others like this.
  8. olly5764

Engineer
    Last weekend our activities were heavily affected by snow.
    At one end of the goods shed is now 101961, in for a repair to the doors and a new roof canvass, this wagon has been in use for a long while carrying our own spares. Hopefully I will be bringing you news of rapid progress on her in 2018
    The conflat new has her new floor and the wooden edges being inserted inside the kerb rail. She still needs her new chain pocket lids and some attention to the brakes but this wagon will not be far off.
    The SECR wagon has suffered slightly from the recent break in the weather, as it has been too cold to work outside in the yard on her, although there were suggestions regarding removing the duff planks, cutting them to suitable sizes and bung them in the stove, but this didn't get acted on.
    Over in the machine shop, work is continuing on producing brake pins for the conflat and the SCER, making the most of the fact there are some common parts here, a fact which isn't as surprising as you may think at first, after all, there are only so many combinations of lengths and diameters of brake pins that are possible.
    Hopefully I will still get chance for one or two more updates in 2017 so I will speak to you soon.
    Olly

9. olly5764

Engineer
    Hello! Its that time of year where I have to mention the C word, yes its time for crackers, carols and Christmassy stuff.
    Firstly, many thanks to the nearly 8000 people who have read my ramblings this year. Hope you have found it informative, and in places funny, and will follow our trials and tribulations in 2018.
    In the works the conflat has recieved her new chain pockets and is suddenly looking very close to completion (I'd better get my skates on with the brakes!) while 101961 has recieved attention to her roof and sides, the canvas now being off and a damaged plank has been removed, while a lot of work has been done on cleaning and priming the body. These will be the main focus going into the new year.
    I was going to do a little on the brake gear this Sunday however when I turned up I could here hammering from the goods shed, I went in to find the gaffer hammering away at a kitchen work top. The result being that the two of us fitted new kitchen work tops in the kitchen end of mess van 80982, to replace the ones that got damaged when we changed the roof a few years ago.
    On a lighter note, when not fixing wagons, some of the lads have been working on various aspects of the santa operation, loading presents into the wagons to go to Arley, and also the Santa hearalds, along with being Elves / Santa's helpers giving the presents out, while this is not directly to do with wagons, it is very much part of the public face of the department.
    So that's it for 2017, all that remains is to say on behalf of all of us, Merry Christmas, happy new year, and we shall see you all in 2018
    Olly

10. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Olly,

Many thanks to your for our frequent updates throughout the year - they are always of interest and congratulations to the team for their continued restoration work.

Looking forward to reading your 2018 updates!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to yourself and family and also to the SVR wagon team.

Keith

olly5764, Bluenosejohn and jsm8b like this.