If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Over the last 12 weeks Swanage has operated 479 train services over 60 days. It is estimated that some 25,000 passengers have been carried over the link to Wareham.

Copper-capped and desperado like this.
  2. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    WCRC locos and the 4TC set left on time at 0710 this morning. Double headed with 33025 leading & 37518 appeared to be switched off. Not sure if that is fuel saving or the fact the 37 was swapped for 33025 on the last two services yesterday means it had an issue.

3. seawright

seawright New Member

Was Corfe Castle signal box unmanned when the WCRC locos and the 4TC set passed through at 0730 this morning? I assume the line was operating under one engine in steam as it went through the loop on the wrong line. Norden would have to be manned for level crossing operation and token issue to clear the signal at Worgret Junction but I was under the impression that there also had to be some liaison between Corfe and Basingstoke for operation of the junction.

4. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Dont assk me how I know but I believe it is etiquette to carry a small towel with one when sitting on someone elses furniture

5. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    As the train passed through, Corfe Castle would have been manned; it has to be in order to give a release to Norden Gates so they can obtain the Norden-Worgret token. There is a shunting signal at the base of the Up Home signal which can be used (among other things) for movements in the Up direction along the Down line, such as this one.

As you say Corfe Castle is also responsible for communication between SR and Basingstoke Dorset Coast Panel.

Incidentally, while it cannot for trains departing from Platform 1 as the outgoing Wareham set did this morning, Swanage signalbox is able to be 'switched out'; as such it is possible, for an operation not needing to run round at Swanage (eg DMU or 33 and 4TC), for the railway to operate with only a Signalman at Corfe Castle.

6. HerstonHalt

HerstonHalt Member

Did it miss a service somewhere Steve? Logic suggests there should be 480 journeys.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

7. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

At least one round trip was CAPED due to loco failure....

8. Gladiator 5076

For info (and those that may have missed it on the webcams) yesterdays Dorsetman Sunday Lunch Dining train was hauled in top and tail mode by two 08 shunters D3591 on the Corfe end and the newly pained 08436 on the Swanage end. Believe this was due to all the currently usable steam locos being unavailable as the passenger services were hauled by 33111, the standard tank apparently having problems in service on both Friday and Saturday and being replaced by the 33.
    A couple images approaching and passing through Herston Halt, sorry they are in B & W I had forgotten to change the camera from the setting I was using the IMG_4984.JPG IMG_4985.JPG previous day.

30854 likes this.
  9. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    10/10 for novelty value

10. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

Is this the price being paid for the push to get to Wareham?

007 likes this.
  11. Gladiator 5076

No I think it is just circumstances, compounded by the rough shunt incident, that has led to a shortage of steam. Steam locos do fail of course, and need washouts etc, and who would have thought that the borrowed T9 would not have been used yet due to a number of issues with it.

12. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

What a load of typical key board drivel!
    I would use stronger words but being on a public forum etc etc

Copper-capped and John Petley like this.
  13. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Rather liking the B&W..... makes for a pleasant change.

(Now for the conspiracy theory......tin foil hats on!) Does this lack of available steam perchance add to any justification for overhauling, say, a suitable LSWR 4-4-0.... maybe one a few T's short of nine.... Think of a number between 562 and 564!

(Someone was going to say it eventually.... thought it might as well be me!:))

johnofwessex likes this.
  14. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

A good conspiracy theory..... this year has just been our turn to have loco issues......every railway has them from time to time and this year its ours.... hey ho it happens.
    Its how you deal with it and move on

15. Ian Milne

Ian Milne New Member

What is the situation with 31874? My recollection is that the original plan was to have it back in steam this year or next. Does the return of SKP mean that 31874 is not required pro tem?

16. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Absolutely...
    There are few lines offering anything like the impressive number of services in the regular Swanage timetable, before considering the numerous evening workings through the year. It rather highlights the sort of stock requirements which are pretty unforgiving come any sort of problem, let alone one which sidelines two locos simultaneously. Best laid plans of mice.... and all that!

17. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

I think the original plan was 2015! I believe there have been some delays with the boiler repairs at an outside contractor

SKP will certainly help, but I'm sure 31874 is still wanted as soon as possible to make things a bit more comfortable.

18. 007

007 Member

31874 was needed yesterday! From my count we can see 34053,34072, 80104 and 31806 in 2o18. Thats two short on what was the historic motive power requirement. Lets hope the Swanage Railway has a better 2018!

The railway, as far as I can see needs 30053, 563 and 31625 to run as soon as possible.

19. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    It was having a pretty good 2017 until the collision. The Bulleid gala was first-rate and then came the Wareham services, which were very successful. All was going so well then....BANG!!

Still, these things do happen and I'm sure that it won't take too long for the railway to put these troubles behind it.

RayMason likes this.
  20. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

Surely the latest shortage would have been the same at the weekend. They may have had Manston in traffic if it wasnt for the collision but the rest is not affected by this incident. They still needed two engines Sunday.