If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Teifi Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Anthony Coulls, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Oh Cod, you guys have no sole. I can't believe I'm herring this...

Felix Holt likes this.
  2. Insider

Insider New Member

"Web site unavailable"
    I would like to think it's being updated

3. Simon K

Simon K New Member

I think that's the old website. The new one teifivalleywales is working fine

Anne likes this.
  4. Anne

Anne New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  5. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Is there any way you can have people redirected to the new web site when the click on the old site, or not. As it is people could think the railway has shut down.

Anne likes this.
  6. Anne

Anne New Member

Hi, yes, we are looking into getting the domain transferred over to the new site :)

7. TVR Observer

TVR Observer New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    If anyone's still interested..

The police investigation into the 2013-14 events at the Teifi Valley Railway has been closed.

Apparently the Police identified some £20,000 from the sales of scrap and timber that went to Martin Dearing rather than the Railway, but this could not be classed as theft because the sales had been authorised by Ray Sanderson as the sole director.

Of course it would still be possible for the Company to take out a civil action against Sanderson and/or to make a claim on the professional insurance of the timber fellers for the damage to the track.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    paullad1984 and Chris86 like this.
  8. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Just had a look at the line's Facebook page, and things seem to be going well with quite a lot of the track relaid, coaches being overhauled, and a return to Forest Halt expected by the end of this month.

9. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

The TVR Company's Accounts for the year ended March 31st 2015 have been published at Companies House. Interesting and unexplained are the changes made to the Accounts for the previous year, following the change of Accountants. Money owing to the Company has increased from zero to £18,350 and money owed by the Company has increased from £54,188 to £84,056. If both Accountants saw the same documents why the amazing differences?

10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Presumably because they didn't see the same documents. They can only see what they are shown. Revisions to accounts, whilst not a good thing, are not a rarity.

In fact given the net change is close to zero (although not quite), it could be that an entry was wrongly netted off and should have been shown gross.

11. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

My mistake. Money owed increased from £54,298 to £106,436 - which is a fairly dramatic £33,868.

12. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

You see it is easy to make mistakes..........cock up rather than conspiracy is usually the answer....

and your calculator needs new batteries if it telss you £54k to £106k is a £34k increase.

13. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

I'm looking at the very abbreviated balance sheet for March 31st 2014. The original version showed current assets of £4,110, less current liabilities of £54,298. Net current assets were thus minus £50,188 and when this was taken off the value of the fixed assets the Company was worth £153,382. The new accountants' version shows current assets of £22,380. current liabilities of £106,436, net current assets of minus £84,056. Company worth: £119,514 in other words, £33,868 less.
    No explanation because these are abbreviated Accounts.

14. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I visited the railway today and was most impressed in the friendly reception I got. It was also nice to see the progress in rebuilding the line, it was also interesting to hear the expansion plans which were far more ambitious that I imagined. Also Special thanks to Martin for the tour round the shed which was most interesting and was really enjoyable chatting to you. I look forward to visiting again in the future.

Martin Perry likes this.
  15. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Any details of the expansion plan?

16. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Extend towards pentrecwrt?

17. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Castell newydd Emlyn??? :)

18. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

Having been a member of the Teifi Valley Railway Society since 1978, on April 1st I renewed my membership by sending a Paypal payment of £15. When no membership card appeared, I sent an email in July politely requesting either a card or the return of my £15. By email I was offered "provisional" membership if I promised not to criticise railway personnel in social media. For over a year I have been barred from commenting on the TVR Facebook page or website, so this was imposing a blanket censorship, which I could only reject. My £15 has now been repaid. I wonder how long they would have done nothing if I had not asked.
    No comment!

19. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

With all due respect this is really an internal issue and I'm not sure what this post is trying to achieve. I don't know the ins and outs of what went on and have no interest in a internal membership issue, the experience I have of the railway from my recent visit is that we have a railway that nearly became extinct and is now being resurrected by an enthusiastic team, whom were all very friendly and working as a team to achieve this aim.

I think that is a total contrast to the situation a few years ago and wish them all the best with their plans.

Apologies just realised I forgot to reply.
    Plans were get back to what they had before, then as Matt 78 suggests towards Pendrecwrt, this being a very long term aim and there is loads to do before that but nice to see some long term plans.

On the rolling stock front more coaches are being overhauled and two were being worked on when I was there.

Sgt. Murphy also features in the plans - it needs reassembling but the retubed boiler is on site, the work undertaken looked to be of high quality. There is however some damage to the front of the frames from a heavy shunt a few years ago under the previous regime that requires work adding to the project but the loco is safe and will have a working future. This was what I was told while there as an interested visitor and posted as such and not official but I was pleased to see the team there combining the different aspects of the project with a sensible long term plan to complete all this. Also had an interesting chat regarding the business plan that I'm not going to discuss on the forum other than to say it seemed a viable way forward with the emphasis on not trying to run before they can walk but assuring the railway remained in the black especially given the lack of grant funding available to them, due to the actions of the Land train guy, the basics being grant funding was used to lay some of the line originally meaning such sources are unavailable to them as these sources already paid for it to be rebuilt so they will not pay for a 2nd time, which to be honest makes the decision to rip up half the track and run the rest into the ground even more stupid...

Forestpines likes this.
  20. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

Of course they are very friendly to visitors! Would be suicidal not to be. Not so friendly to certain other people and still resent criticism. By renewing my membership I was trying to support the Railway in the only way the new management permit me to do.
    The grant funding issue shows just what a dreadful mistake was made by entrusting the future of the Railway to an unscrupulous fraudster. 30 years of work ruined in a few months.