If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

THE SOMERSET & DORSET 8th May

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by spindizzy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

From the UK Railtours website:

"We've got really good timings for this one so you shouldn't be disappointed!"

My appetite is suitably wetted :)

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    From UKRailtours website.

London Waterloo 07.17 21.15
    Woking 07.52 20.33
    Basingstoke 08.23 20.02
    Yeovil Junction 10.25
    Weymouth 13.30 17.35

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Still some seats left in Standard and First Dining, according to the web site.

4. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

They are aiming for a spirited, fast return run. Lets hope so. It's been a while since my last ML run with a Bulleid.

5. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Times now available at www.uksteam.info/tours/t10/t0508b.htm

6. Live Steam

Live Steam Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Aren't they rather similar to the Eastliegh Centarian last year??

7. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I'm hoping we use the down main fast line?

8. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Anyone know who has the driving and firing turns?

9. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Don't forget the 'Bristolian' railtour. The train may return to the capital rather faster than anticipated. <BJ>

10. Live Steam

Live Steam Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    The 7.20 path from waterloo, I believe is quite a special one. Fingers Crossed!!

11. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

7.20 is the only path down the ML on a Saturday thus avoiding the Stains route. I cant see to much happening on the down run as there are stops at Woking and Basingstoke unlike last year, none the less the times are fairly good. The run home might be different, Tangmere got a great path last year after all the trouble at Weymouth with the diesel.

12. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Not many decent start to stop sectional timings shown. But I said that about the Eastleigh run last year and see what the loco crew did. Some very slow timings although I don't know what the timings include.

Highlights to me at present are 33 mins Bournemouth - Southampton pass to pass: only 1 min slower than the old two hour train start to stop, and we will probably have a much heavier train. And if we have a heavy train plus a trailing diesel loco the 31 mins from Eastleigh to Basingstoke will need a fine heavy load climb of Roundwood Bank to keep time. Never done that section in steam days as any train stopping at Eastleigh would have stopped at Winchester as well.

My best heavy load from a Winchester start was in June 1965. Unrebuilt WC 34019, "Bideford" on the 12.10 Southampton- Waterloo. 14 cars for 500 tons gross and the crew were Nine Elms men Sullivan and Rowe. Adjusting for a severe signal check outside Basingstoke we would have done Winchester - Basingstoke start to stop in 25½ mins. Giving an equivalent time from Eastleigh to Basingstoke of just under 32½ mins. On that day the Light Pacific went over Roundwood summit at 54½ mph, and ran in the mid 60s afterwards.

35028 is a much more powerful loco and I suspect in much better condition than 34019 was that day back in 1965. So even with a heavier load, (assuming a trailing diesel),and with the quality crews who drive her these days a faster ascent of Roundwood bank than with 34019 and faster running afterwards could see us inside 31 mins Eastleigh- Basingstoke.

On that June 1965 day 34019 and the 500 ton load then went and did a net time of 22¾ minutes for the 23.5 miles start to stop to the Woking stop, (we are booked 29 mins on Saturday!). Max just 76 mph. Just a good fast start then sustained running in the 70s.

13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Anyone noticed the time we are due off Weymouth?

17.35!

Up to 13th June 1965 that was the time the up "Club Train" left Weymouth. (17.30 after electrification work started).

From Bournemouth it formed the 18.40 2 hour express to Waterloo, calling at Southampton and Waterloo at 20.40.

We called it the Club Train as that wonderful group of steam timers I was involved with would go down on the 17.23 FO to Southampton on a Friday night, and come back on that train from Southampton. And on the Saturday we would all do various trains, but most would end up in the rear car of the Club Train from either Bournemouth or Southampton. Where we timed the train, but also swapped notes about the day, who was driving what on the Sunday, play tape recordings etc. Real Club atmosphere.

And tomorrow ten of us from that group are together again. Coach H in the area of seats 9-14. Sorry if we get a bit noisy!

14. John2

John2 Member

Noted from the timings that train is booked slow line Winchfield to Worting and conveys a class 67 on the rear throughout.

John.

15. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

16. 5944

17. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

John, you must have more detailed timings than I have seen, as I was unaware there would be slow line running from Winchfield. That slot last year allowed fast line running all the way to Worting, so it is sad if this year we are to slow for a cross over right in the middle of the old "racing ground" between Woking and Basingstoke.

I had of course assumed that for the various operational reasons, there would be a 67 diesel on the rear all day.

18. 5944

Fast line to Winchfield, slow line to Worting on the outward. Fast line Redbridge - Northam Jn, slow line to Eastleigh, fast line on departure, then slow line from Worting Jn to Weybridge on the return. And John seems to have more detailed timings than me! Mine don't mention that the diesel stays on the back, but there aren't any light engine moves in or out of Waterloo so it must be the case that it stays on.

19. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I was under the impression that the class 67 will head the tour from Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Pen Mill.

20. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Thanks for that. Apart from Bournemouth to Southampton and Eastleigh to Basingstoke there don't seem to be any other sections where 35028 will be able to run freely for long. Unless we are a few minutes late away from Basingstoke in both directions.....................

Oh well. At least we are seeing a Merchant Navy out on the main line in 2010.