If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not a nameplate collector, then I guess?:)

But the great thing about our hobby is the different interests or approaches that it can accommodate. No doubt the 4110 appeal (or perhaps 7821) will be grateful for your contribution. Whisper it quietly, but locomotives don't 'do it for me' so I will be unlikely to be making a contribution there.

I mentioned the other 'bits of old tat' recently acquired by the Trust - the final years' WSR timetable posters - would you have the same view?

Many years of looking at railwayana make it relatively easy to spot the difference between a new casting artificially weathered, and one in 'ex-box' or 'ex-loco' condition.

Robin

Yorkshireman and Bean-counter like this.
  2. RobHickerton

RobHickerton New Member

Engieering Consultant
    No, the paper stuff is fascinating and does give insights into a previous era, but nameplates are odd things. I spent many happy hours polishing a nameplate form Princess Louise, a "Star". Unfortunately is wasn't mine, but GW loco nameplates are lovely things. But a signal box nameplate should if possible be on a signal box, does it really tell us a story on a wall? If it was from some long lost site, perhaps, but Minehead box has a plate, do we need another? I'm not sure about being able to spot fakes, I would defy you to tell the difference between the plates on 6024 (which are repros) and the originals. Would we like the originals? I'm not sure. Too valuable to use.

Rob

railrover likes this.
  3. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    But to display in a secure location?

4. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

If you cant tell the difference between original and repo, then why would the original be too valuable to use? Conversely if the original is to valuable, then it must be possible to tell the difference at some level, and therefore (with a big leap) it ultimately follows that the Minehead Box sign is probably a snip at £1400. If it isnt what floats your boat fine, but there isnt really a need to justify your opinion, though I cant see much difference between a loco nameplate on a wall and a signalbox nameplate on the same wall. Neither is attached to the original structure, but both will be to some evocative. In day to day operation what matters is that it "looks right" because the operation is creating a set for peoples imagination. When that "set" and the imagination it provokes links back to the original artifacts the experience is enhanced, because then it is clear to visitors that what they are seeing is no mere creation of someone elses imagination, but a window into the past, and that is to some extent what I think they expect (along with pretty scenery, a pleasant ride, a good cream tea and clean toilets).

5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I like this one - sadly I cant find a better picture of the sign..............
    upload_2017-9-22_17-31-43.jpeg

6. johnofwessex

I don't know what the signalman did here between trains
    upload_2017-9-22_17-32-57.jpeg

Matt37401 likes this.
  7. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Is it possible that there is a chance of the visiting HST, D1010 and one of the manors lined up together to make a fantastic picture on 2moros great western day. Thank you

8. mvpeters

mvpeters Member

Retired
    " ............ An opportunity to 'bring home' a significant West Somerset Railway relic ..................."

I think this is the most important factor. The original Minehead Signal Box sign is of direct relevance to the WSR.
    I suppose anyone could collect, say, Cornish Riviera Express bits & pieces, but, attractive as they are, they have no direct & immediate connection to the WSR.
    Surely any collection should have a purpose unless one is collecting just for the sake of owning stuff.
    I'd put Watchet & Dunster SB signs in the same 'must have' category.

9. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I wouldn't disagree with much of this save that, personally, I would leave anything cast iron alone except if some generous person donated it. It is easy to copy or counterfeit items in this material and in a world where an enamel plate from a destination indicator that happens to read "Ventnor" can get £2,100, the temptations are obvious.

Incidentally, is it true that G.W.R. locomotive nameplates were made up from individual letters applied to a background? If so, this is another pogdntial trap.

PH

10. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Yes - each carefully riveted to the steel back plate.

11. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Thanks. Sorry for the weird typo for "potential"!

PH

12. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

From time to time posted to Nat Pres of course

johnofwessex likes this.
  13. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Not sure what you mean by a potential trap. Genuine (G)WR plates are very easy to tell from replicas. Apart from the letters being riveted, they invariably had corrosion where they attached to the "fingers", as per the attached, plus the letters and beading will be less than pristine, even if polished. A King plate would have the full round beading as shown on the attached image (which is of a Grange) and one suspects replicas may use half round, as used on later (G)WR plates. Any (G)WR plate that has screwed-on letters (rather than riveted) is likely to be a replica. I suspect the replicas use screws, as with riveting it is easy to damage the face of the letters. Strangely, collectors have been known to remove all the letters from genuine plates to clean up the backplate more easily, and then glued or screwed the letters back on, thus destroying much of the plate's value.

Attached Files:

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Nothing that a competent faker couldn't cope with.

PH

Dennis John Brooks likes this.
  15. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    As a 'signal box' nut, I am very pleased to see signal boxes getting their share of the limelight.

The Minehead plate is in faded BR(W) paint which would be hard to fake.

A friend has the nameplate from a box I enjoyed working but no longer exists - so very evocative for me.

We are now a whisker under £800 raised for the Minehead plate, which isn't bad in a day but does leave the opportunity for some more contributions. It would be great to have matters settled by the end of the weekend. Do keep your pledges coming in...

Kind regards

Robin

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  16. johnofwessex

I see that the HST from Oxford is working through to Minehead tomorrow (Sat 23rd) have the gauging issues been resolved?

17. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    An HST has visited the WSR before so the gauging should be OK. Do you seriously think that would have been forgotten by the WSR and the TOC?

18. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    West Somerset Railway - Then and Now #73

Williton 1952 / 2017

We have started our look at Williton with a couple of views down at the station from the road bridge, and there are some more to come from that location but this shot makes the bridge itself the subject of interest.

The original cast iron span lasted until 1952 when it was replaced with rather unlovely pre-cast concrete carried on the original abutments. I like to think something more elegant might have been arranged had the job been done today.

Copyright NRM / Robin White

IMG_9236.JPG

IMG_9727.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Black Jim, 21B and Copper-capped like this.
  19. Selsig

Selsig Member

Cast Iron Spam. Must make it hard to eat

Yorkshireman likes this.
  20. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

Spam is hard to stomach at the best of times!