If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Stolen] Whitrope signs stolen

Discussion in 'Thief Watch' started by Sheff, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Seen on Facebook ....

Signs have been stolen from the Whitrope Heritage Centre, near Hawick. The Mazawattee Tea, Bluebell Tobacco and Dunlop Tyres enamel signs were stolen from the charitable organisation's site between the evening of Thursday the 26th of July and the morning of Saturday the 28th of July. If you spot these signs for sale online i.e. eBay or elsewhere or are offered them to buy, please notify Hawick Police Station on 101 or (01450) 364459.

donside and Tony Graham like this.
  2. Tony Graham

Tony Graham New Member

Railway Man
    Many thanks for this,

The signs were originals from the old Hawick Co-operative shop on the platform at Riccarton Jnc. I wonder if they knew before taking them that Smartwater is in use at Whitrope.

3. donside

donside New Member

Smartwater? o_O

4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Smartwater is a system that allows you to mark up an item and the marks are invisible to the naked eye but show up under UV light. - http://www.smartwater.com/products

I suggest to anyone that it may be a useful thing to use on items of value if you haven't heard of it before.

Anyway back on topic and noting that this happened in August 2013, was there any luck in getting the signs back out of interest?