If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR 2018

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by West Somerset Wizard, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Journalist

Journalist New Member

Not sure I've found a West Somerset gala dull in a long while (maybe the 1992 autumn diesel gala, as back then I was too young to realise that the 37 on one set all day and the Hydraulics alternating on the other was what the majority of grown-up diesel fans wanted). I wasn't a massive fan of the hourly timetable on paper, but ended up appreciating the chance to run around for extra pictures in the extended station dwell times.

There was a recent-ish gala where timekeeping DID become frustrating - possibly in 2015 - and it looked, at least to a passenger not privy to everything that was going on operationally, like there was a pretty casual approach to making up lost time. I remember bailing out early as a result and know there were other passengers very concerned about bus/main line connections that day. But I've really enjoyed the 2016/17 galas I've attended, found the timetables more varied on the weekdays in particular, and only really noticed delays due to actual incidents such as loco failures - and even then, there was a stronger effort to get the timetable back on the pace. There have been a couple of times when I've thought the loco diagrams on the days I've visited could've made more of the visitors, but I only live 30 minutes away so I can get the home fleet whenever I want.

It's a line I generally enjoy for the gradients and variety of photo locations, plus the fact its galas running on Thursdays and Fridays give me more options to attend when I'm working weekend shifts. I'm expecting to be there for both main steam galas and the diesel gala in 2018, plus as many diesel running days as possible and a few weekdays when the loco roster's appealing - the S160's visit is particularly exciting.

gricerdon and Bluenosejohn like this.
  2. That's the problem these issues have been raised in the past and fell on deaf ears, I haven't been keeping an eye on what's been going on with the end of southern galas this year but,
    Didn't they also upset a few people with a review of lineside passes,with little communication.
    If thats the case it shows the attitude like it or lump it is still around.

3. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You are making it more and more obvious that you are complaining about a railway that you are completely out of touch with - the WSR has not run any 'end of southern galas' in recent years!

4. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    He means he hasn't kept an eye on the WSR because of other railways holding southern galas which he has gone to instead.

5. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

I agree with that. I never find the Galas dull but when we go by train/bus we have to allow an hour's leeway as there is almost always late running. The bus /train connections work really well though and save a long drive though restrict linesiding. For the March Gala we are going to stay down there and include the L&B as well. We use a lovely hotel in Lynton as our base for this area. The Choughs Nest is highly recommended. It makes a nice long weekend for us including Mrs Gricer Don

6. This is the problem with the wsr the minority of people on the railway with attitudes such as yourself.

7. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

I’m not quite sure what he thinks ‘my attitude’ is, so I will make a final brief reply to Mr Clarkson as there is no point in continuing to try to bring him up to date when he has no desire to do so himself. I am one of the vast majority of volunteers whose attitude is to realise that we cannot comply with everyone’s wishes as there will always be a contradiction in expectations, and only want what is best to give the large majority of our passengers an enjoyable visit to the WSR.

8. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

As a WSR volunteer I find no problem with any of the staff or volunteers on the line. I do though from time to time come across some "enthusiasts" with impossible expectations, in some cases a major attitude problem and no inclination whatever to actually do anything positive. Are you one of them?

9. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I have never found a WSR gala to be dull. They haven't had everything that I wanted, but a good percentage of that, and nobody can expect a gala to be based purely on what they want. As long as there is something for everybody, the gala will be a success. The 2018 dates are in my diary, anyway!

Barrie the Beer and Bluenosejohn like this.
  10. The Quantock Belle dining train running dates for 2018 have now been agreed and will be made public shortly.

We are due to operate our gala breakfast and luncheon service on every day of every gala event next year (Spring Steam Gala, Diesel Gala, Autumn Steam Gala, Winter Steam Festival). That's 13 gala running days to look forward to!

Barrie

11. You might not have had a problem with anyone on the line it doesn't mean others don't.
    Not at all, I notice in the past few days the diesel running days are back up to 80 miles a day and no silly half trip to Wilton and back, that's positive isn't it, the problem you and many others although in the minority is you can't take minority or critique without it being shot down as not possible with no explanation then calling the unreasonable card because someone's suggested something that wasn't on the table.
    Is it really unreasonable to have an opinion and try to help to make things better with critique ?
    If enthusiasts can't be right all the time how can the railway ?
    Pot calling the kettle black springs to mind.

12. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Clearly everybody is entitled to an opinion and your second point suggests that balanced critical comment is welcomed and where possible acted on.
    It is important though for "critique", as you put it, to be reasonably well informed, up to date and with the point being made expressed in clear English.

13. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Whenever I read a reply from '5000 Launceston Castle' I suffer a feeling of deja vu.

Perhaps there was once a member from National-Preservation with a similar attitude. ;) <BJ>

nine elms fan and Ian Monkton like this.
  14. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Is there a WSR diesel gala thread? Can’t wait to see 50035 in June.

15. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No but here's an update thanks to wsr.org. / Don Bishop. <BJ>

The WSR Gala Planning Team are pleased to announce some news of our 2018 Diesel Gala:

The event will run from Friday 8th to Sunday 10th June, and possibly a preview day with limited diesel hauled services on the Thursday, with an intensive timetable of vintage diesel hauled trains to fit our theme of 'Vintage Diesels to the Seaside'. The theme is planned to celebrate the 1970s and 1980s when a great variety of diesel locos were called on to haul holiday trains to the seaside all over the UK, and in particular (but not exclusively) the west country. On the Friday and Saturday all services will be diesel hauled with a limited number of steam hauled trains booked for the Sunday along with the diesels.

We are currently in discussion with several owners for visiting locos to the event and we plan to have a rail movement of up to 5 guest locomotives brought to us by GBRF who will be working with us and our colleagues at the Swanage and Severn Valley Railways to share costs for the three diesel gala events at each of these railways in spring/early summer. These 5 locomotives will join the DEPG's home fleet of diesel hydraulic and diesel electric machines with the possibility of Hymek D7018 making a reappearance after its 23 years out of traffic following a serious failure back in August 1995, the loco would join class mate D7017 to give us a pair of Hymeks for the first time in many years.

So far guest appearances have been agreed for two locomotives and these are being finalised before being fully confirmed, both will be making their debut on the WSR. Several others are under discussion and details will be given once confirmed. As many of 12 locos could be taking part in this year's event.

We are also working on a plan to have a full Beer Festival at Williton Station for the weekend and some evening trains will be operating to allow people to attend this as well as enjoying the sights and sounds of hard working diesels on the WSR's gradients. Again we will announce further details once plans have been progressed further.

So put the dates in your diary to enjoy a good weekend of vintage diesel haulage and some good beers.

Don Bishop, Chairman, Gala Planning Team

6 February 2018
    Details kindly provided by the Gala Planning Team

16. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Well that all sounds positive, to be fair if 7018 works that alone will be a good draw

17. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    Regarding the WSR Diesel Gala in early June.

I usually only attend the Steam Galas, but having been given a very interesting piece of information by a reliable source on the WSR I have now booked accommodation in Mineahead for the Diesel Gala.

I'm told that an official announcement will be made by WSR in a week or so.

Sorry to be a tease, but I'm sworn to secrecy.

Stef.

18. AnthonyTrains2017

I know what it is and simply can’t wait. Hopefully they announce it soon.

19. AnthonyTrains2017

Can't not wait. Will be the best gala ever. Hope announced soon. So we can discuss it.

20. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

The Journal says that the visitors are expected to be 20007, 20142, 45041 and 50035, all subject to confirmation.