If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

00 gauge loco kits

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Double Helix, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Double Helix

Double Helix New Member

Hey all,

I have recently (within the last year or 2) got back in to the railway scene since leaving uni and getting a job etc and have decided to get back in to modelling again to.

I have been looking about and always wanted to build a 00 loco kit, what I need to know is a good maker of 00 gauge kits, i am thinking maybe a Manor, Hall or maybe a black 5 or a Standard 4 4-6-0.

Any help appreciated.

Helix

2. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

3 out of the 4 of them are available via RTR. The Manors are modeled by Bachmann but have a very dated tooling.

Kits can come from a wide range of companies.
    Djh
    Crownline (now PDK)
    South east Finecast
    OO works
    Just to name a few!
    I have just embarked on a DJH 82xxx.

Loco kits can be very tricky to go straight into. I started myself off with wagon kits, building upto coach kits and perfecting those and then making sure I have the right tools and bits and bobs to make the kit.

3. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

I'm going in to kit building now with a GEM/Mainly Trains Cambrian GWR rebuild 2-4-0 tank No.1197. I'm choosing this because it's simple with no outside cylinders or valve gear, this type of kit is recommended for beginners. Alternatives for first time kits would be the stater kit for a Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tank or a Class 02 diesel shunter.

4. stanners

stanners New Member

Noise & Vibration
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    My first time model just a few weeks ago was a GWR shunters truck from Cambrian - good model and I have now started to re-body an old hornby 0-4-0 shunter (alright an old Percy my son was given) with a Hunslet Shunter body from Silver Fox - nice little model. All I can say is both companies are a real pleasure to deal with and both kits have been enjoyable.

For me - have a go at a rebody first before you go for a full model - thats my next try - a Judith Edge or Mercian shunter of some sort I think.....

5. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

I am tackling a very old Wills finecast kit of a Southern Q, and I have a few on the shelf waiting.