If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

1014 County of Glamorgan

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by aron33, May 22, 2016.

1. aron33

aron33 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looks like Didcot's County new-build finally got her driving wheels:
    [​IMG]
    It's a great milestone, but a sad one, since Mike Cooper isn't alive to see 1014 wheeled. He'd be proud!

2. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The most handsome of the GWR 4-6-0's IMO, such a travesty, him not to see it finished.

aron33 likes this.
  3. aron33

aron33 Member

And here's the report for March & April (From the Project's Website):

March and April
    On Monday 4 April a good number of Didcot workers, including most of the County Project Team, met at Abbotts Ann Parish Church with many others, to say and sing our farewells to Mike Cooper. It was a pleasant service, during which Mike's brother-in-law told us of Mike's life, work in the Army, love of rugby football and Lambrettas, meeting and marrying Pauline, the children Sarah and Elizabeth, their son's-in-law, Poppy their granddaughter, etc. all rounded off by reference to his most recent activities at Didcot Railway Centre, leading the GW County Project. The ceremony concluded with two buglers playing the 'Last Post'.
    Thereafter, we were invited to join the family and a range of well-wishers to a delightful and sumptuous buffet at Abbotts Ann Village Hall, where another of Mike's accomplishments was on view - histories of those named on the War Memorial. When the family returned from the Crematorium, County Setters were privileged to be able to speak to Pauline Cooper and one of Mike and Pauline's daughters. We were encouraged to hear they considered Mike's work on the County Project was also a family affair, they were eager to see the project completed and dedicate it, notably for their grandchildren, as 'Granddad's engine!
    All too soon, the time for departing came, conversations concluded and guests departed whence they came, glad that Mike's life had been celebrated in style.

Message from the new Project Manager, Dicky Boast:

As has already mentioned, the Project Team were all shocked and saddened at the news of Mike's passing.
    Mike was an inspiration and is a hard act to follow. We are not just refurbishing a loco, we are not just building a loco. We are changing a loco and incorporating parts from different classes in the best way we can.
    Mike's military career enabled him to take this in his stride. My military career means that this is a vertical learning curve.
    There is a wonderful phrase "Grandfathers Rights" which means that refurbishing a part is quite acceptable, whereas changing it is subject to all sorts of permissions. Thus it must be decided if the parts being built will be based on a Modified Hall or a County.

Locomotive Progress
    The 'big' news, is that despite the aforementioned events, the Project Team were able to start the re-wheeling process in late April.
    The loco is at present over no.3 road having been over the wheel drop to have its wheels fitted. This has been a partial success - but there is now a 4-4-0 County in the shed! A problem was encountered fitting the front axle, consequently, the team either have to try again or employ a different method. This could involve turning the loco and fitting the axle the other way round so the track is straighter, or fitting the axle boxes into the horns and bringing the wheel set up into them.
    Once that is achieved and she is back on no 4 road, refitting the springs and brake gear, plus painting the cab will commence in readiness for the 'County Weekend' on August Bank Holiday when she will be on show on the turntable - 27-29 August.

[​IMG]

23/04/2016 - 1014's frames in Didcot r4unning shed ready for re-wheeling.

[​IMG]

23/04/2016 - as Dicky Boast said, the first 4-4-0 County seen since 1933! Only the front set of driving wheels to fit, but we have a rolling chassis. Mike Cooper would be delighted!

At Crewe Works, the redesigned 8F firebox is nearing completion with a few stays to be riveted in place. There has been much welding of new plates and all new crown stays fitted.
    The contract for the barrel to be rolled has been signed and that should not take too long.

[​IMG]

23/04/2016 - the almost complete firebox at Crewe.

Future aims will focus upon around the Connecting and Coupling rods and crossheads. The forged blanks for the rods have been manufactured and are in store. The next major decision is whether to machine them to Modified Hall or County design and whether to modify the cross heads or manufacture new ones - back to the "Grandfather's Rights" dilemma.

Tender Progress:
    On Easter Saturday, despite, or because of Mike's death, the team re-wheeled the tender. It now is sitting in its axle boxes waiting for the bearings to be machined by Gary using his fabricated jig. There is a small amount of painting to be done to the axles and frame spacers before the latter will be refitted. Once they are in place the springing and brake gear will be assembled.
    [​IMG]

26/03/2016 - the tender re-wheeling team.

[​IMG]

26/03/2016 - tender wheels positioned for rolling under tender underframe.

[​IMG]

26/03/2016 - first set of wheels being rolled under raised underframe.

[​IMG]

26/03/2016 - raising the underframes high to enable first set of wheel to reach the front axle box.

[​IMG]

26/03/2016 - lowering the underframes onto the wheels, checking alignment of axles and axleboxes.

[​IMG]

26/03/2016 - almost there - axle and axlebox alignment being checked.

[​IMG]

23/04/2016 - Gary setting-up axlebox bearing.

On subsequent workdays work continued to finish the task of ensuring bearings are correctly fitted and true. Spring hangers and springs still to be fitted.
    Final word from Dicky Boast - "We have had a difficult month following Mike's death, but the team have always pulled closely together and we are determined to do Mike proud".

4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Why might you use anything other than the County designs when you're making new components for a County?

aron33 and Chris86 like this.
  5. aron33

aron33 Member

Because of the parts relate to Churchward's "Standardization" Policy. Better to use what's available.

6. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

these are new rods, I don't understand the comment re mod Hall or county spec

aron33 likes this.
  7. GW 5972

GW 5972 New Member

The original County rods were designed to cope with 280lbs boiler pressure
    The new engine will operate at the same pressure as a Hall. Hence no need for such heavy duty rods.

aron33 and Reading General like this.
  8. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

It's great to see the County frame on its wheels.

Presumably from the above post from GW 5972, I assume it has now been decided that the new County boiler will definitely work at 225lbs psi?

9. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    A boiler can only operate at the max pressure of its weakest part, so unless someone is going to sign off an 8f firebox to work at a higher pressure...
    While looking exactly like a County in practice you have a Hall that is allowed to run a bit faster - which is nice.

andalfi1 likes this.
  10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Maybe the are giving themselves the opportunity to construct a 250 or 280lb boiler at some time in the future? (Pure speculation on my part! :) )

11. MellishR

Thank you for that explanation.

It is a good reason, as far as it goes, but it revives the perplexity of some of us over the choice of boiler.

A completely new boiler, which could be operated at 250 psi or even 280 psi, would have given you a loco equivalent to the original Counties. With a 225 psi boiler it will be hardly different from a Hall in performance. That loss of power is for the sake of re-using just part of a firebox (and annoying some people about the sacrifice of the rest of the loco that the firebox came from). The rest of the firebox and the whole barrel will be new anyway. It seems a poor bargain.

12. MellishR

That is of course possible in principle, but it would make more sense to do it from the outset instead of spending money on an 80% new 225 psi boiler.

13. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

It would.

14. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

Is the gentleman GW 5972 a member of the County project team?

It appears that he may be. However, if he isn't, would someone directly connected with the project care to enlighten us for certain on the actual boiler pressure that 1014 will operate at?

Also, I'm no expert, but the theory of heavier rods being required for 280lbs psi seems doubtful to me.

15. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heavier I suspect translates to a size and therefore strength increase...
    In theory surely a 25% in Potential piston thrust does merit some form of compensatory increase?
    Suspect that the group has drawings for both instances and so theory don't enter into it.

andalfi1 likes this.
  16. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    It would depend if the GWS intends on running on the National network, otherwise pottering around Didcot yard and the occasional foray to other preserved lines, is probably not worth the expenditure, new boiler, cylinders, rods etc. would add up to a tidy sum, so a County 'outline' will probably suffice. This would obviously not preclude main line operations though, it would only limit loads, which would go against current recommendations on loco power requirements, the difference between class5 & 6.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  17. MellishR

But it's getting an 80% (or thereabouts) new boiler and new rods anyway, and aren't the cylinders the same between a County and a Modified Hall?

18. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    So are you saying it is going mainline ? County cylinders were designed and manufactured for 280 psi operation, with more bolt fixings to hold the end plates on for one thing, or is that two...

19. MellishR

I've no idea whether it is going mainline, but I do hope so. I thought the Hall's cylinders were to be used but I could be wrong. If they are, and if those of the Counties were beefed up, that would be another reason for keeping to the 225 psi boiler.

20. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    The Hall cylinders have been used and that is exactly what I have been saying, I agree with the line the GWS have taken, if it hopefully goes mainline, it will be a County in outline but in reality, a big wheeled Hall, it will take better man than me to work out the T.E. and loading capabilities tho...