If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by arthur maunsell, Jan 23, 2009.

1. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    One loco you never hear anything of.....im surprised noone has suggested getting it back in steam...or maybe they have?

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    I remember going to the museum at Tiverton on the way to the West Country a few years ago to see it but the museum was closed for refurbishment #-o

From what I have read over the years/been told, the loco is subject to a 'covenant' which prevents it ever leaving Tiverton. Not saying this is unbreakable but it's going to be a big job to persuade the custodians to let it go.

Aslo I have heard that the loco's 'internals' have been removed? so as to prevent or make more difficult a return to steam

This is just what I've heard in the past, others may have more up to date knowledge?

3. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

?! The mind boggles!

4. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Just my tuppence - why does everything have to steam?

Leave it there for the good folk of Tiverton to cab and enjoy - for many, it'll be the closest they can get to a steam loco and it has real local meaning and affection attched to it. There are three other 14XX's out there to run.

I'll get my coat...

5. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Well said sir. You won't win many friends on here saying that, but some people see the value of not steaming everything and leaving it for future generations to enjoy.

6. baldric

baldric Member

I agree as well, there are a few of us out there who do not beleive that every thing has to run all the time, or that we should make changes because it makes our life easier. Some of the, engines such as 1442 should remain as they are for now.

7. Anthony Coulls

Thanks both, I suspect I don't have many friends on here anyway - I work for the NRM! :-#

8. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    Please remember folks that the joy of resurecting an engine is joy for it,s own sake.
    As many will tell you there are few moments in your life that you recall as well as the first time an engine blows off or moves itself. We should leave some engines for future generations to experience the joy of having achieved what seemed impossible.

The Melter

9. Kerosene Castle

What makes 1442 special, is that apart from the paint, it's basically in the same condition as it was when it last ran in everyday service on BR. It's not had the Swindon 'exhibition bulls--t' treatment like Lode Star etc, so it's a very useful reference as to how things actually were... which was quite rough, apparently!

10. Anthony Coulls

Thanks again, as you'll know, in another world I'm about a month or so off that first steam for 50 years! It will be special indeed...

11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

If true can you call it a preserved loco as opposed to a shell ?, not interested in the steam it or nor arguement (Auto tanks are limited use in preservation) but it defeats the object of preserving something if you rip the insides out.

12. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Ok, wrong phrase! but that is what I have heard/read in the past...be interested if anybody can confirm.

13. Anthony Coulls

I think that's a myth, and maybe confused with pannier 9629 which lost its boiler when it went on static display at the Holiday Inn in Cardiff many years ago (loco now being restored at Blaenavon). Certainly all of 1442 was there when I last saw it in the mid 90s.

14. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    I recall a feature on all the surviving 14xx locos in Steam Railway around 10 yrs ago. This included an interview with one of 1442's trustees who made a statement that the loco needed 'internal restoration' which the author of the article found 'puzzling'. I remember it struck a chord with me as I recall someone telling me a few years before that the loco had been butchered internally.

Can't offer any other evidence, like I said I didn't get to see it when I went there.

15. Kerosene Castle

Wouldn't be surprised if at some point they'd taken the lagging off, maybe even had the tubes out. I think it may have released a couple of cab fittings to another engine at some point, lubricator springs to mind, although I can't remember seeing anything missing when I went down there.

I can't see what else you'd want to do. Sounds to me like someone without the necessary know-how has got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

16. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

I'm getting curious, will have to pop in there and take a look. It was one of the last withdrawn so I see no reason why BR would have removed, for instance, the tubes for examination with a view to boiler repairs or anything like that.

17. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Well yes it could be one of those urban myths, think that Steam Railway article gave a bit more information about the loco's condition at the time, but my copy is long gone.

18. arthur maunsell

[​IMG]

anyone got any?

19. Anthony Coulls

20. arthur maunsell

now im disappointed.SOmeone told us it was in final service condition and now i see its in GWR livery.However it looks like a decent display doesnt it. I think I prefer the pic of a 14xx at Reading someone posted in more or less ex works BR lined-green though.