If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by michaelh, Aug 21, 2011.

1. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Had a nice ride today in the Cotswolds on the Special Train for 2807 Shareholders

IMG_2663.JPG

2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So did I! It was quite wonderful; especially the footplate ride. Even my good lady said that she "could see why we were proud of our engine."

3. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Indeed that is engine to be proud of, I haven't seen it for myself yet, but I'm hoping to see it at some point.

I wonder if theres consideration of visiting the SVR at some point, with 2857 recently returned to steam and I believe as far as the 2800 class is concerned, theres only been one operational in preservation.

That is until your 'heavy weight champion' came along. :) Bringing the two together for me, has to be a big one, and it has to be mighty tempting to have them double head... or lined up side by side... Anyone else want to see that? I do! It's the heavy freight type equivalent of the reunion of the two Kings.

I am aware that there are other 2800s, but I don't believe any of them are going to steam any time soon.

4. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Thank you; 2807 seems to have earned a special place in some peoples' affection already and not just GWR aficionados either! I would very much like to see both 2807 and 2857 together, not least because they currently wear identical post-WWII GWR green livery. Regarding the other 28xxs, there are currently 7 (I'm not counting the 2885 class built by Collett which is at least a sub-class if not very different from its Churchward older brothers), these being: 2807 (operational on the GWSR), 2818 (Museum Display Standard at NRM), 2857 (operational at SVR), 2859 (ex-Barry condition at Llangollen Rly and currently for sale), 2861 (soon, if not already at Didcot-GWS to be dismantled for the 47xx project), 2873 (dismantled at Dart Valley Rly with no boiler) and 2874 (stored in ex-Barry condition near Honeybourne owned by the Dinmore Manor Loco Group - DMLL and planned to be restored to fullworking order).
    So I think its true that the remaining 28xxs won't steam very soon. My bet would be either 2859 (which is remarkably good condition relatively speaking with one of the best No1 boilers so I'm told) if someone took it on or 2874, for which the DMLL have a proven track record of GWR locomotive restoration. So I think we may well see 2859 and 2874 some day but 2873 might take longer (The DVR have no plans to scrap it according to their website) and 2861 will be reincarnated to some extent in the form of its larger cousin.

5. bgammers

bgammers New Member

Senior IT Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A Heavy Weight Reunion would be fantastic!

The 2807 supporters day was magical! Wonderful to see so many supporters and the smiles on the train when the loco pulled out of Cheltenham Race Course Station. All involved are very proud of the work carried out by everyone over the last 30 years.

New supporters are always welcome just go the website www.gwr2807.co.uk

6. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Yes a pity about 2861, but at least it's not being just scapped. And when you think about it, it's actually in some ways evolving!

2861 gains bigger wheels and a bigger boiler, it's evolved into... a 4700!

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

2807 seemed a very lively performer at the WSR in the Spring when i first saw it and rode behind it, nothing else that weekend compared to it in terms of speed and noise ascending Washford bank, a right beast of a loco in my opinion.

8. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Tried to attach photos but can't. Keeps asking for a URL or something. Never mind, I'm sure plenty were taken!