If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2860 Royal Hudson

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by athelney, Sep 15, 2011.

1. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi all , this is an update in reply to some questions raised on the Steam thread . 2860 is in limbo at present , she reached her 5 yr exam time but unfortunately no funds are available to commence the inspection.
    We have to inspect all boiler stays so that requires all the boiler jacket , insulation and equipment removal , as well there is play in the motion crown brasses - probably need renewal together with a list on other items needing attention and the ever present take it apart & what else do we have ! So at present the WCRA board is putting together a plan for the repairs as well as how to fund them. Unlike in the UK there is not a big base of enthusiasts we can call on to help fund the repairs - no price of a pint culture here ! As SG Canada alluded to the main railways also are pure business - no time for steam or excursions and not likely to fund overhauls of locomotives - CPR have their own Hudson 2816 as well .
    So 2860 is on display at the Squamish roundhouse for all to see - I am in regular attendance to keep her clean & lubed as necessary , so we are awaiting a plan & money - sound familiar ! -- 2860 does have a Facebook page - Royal Hudson 2860 Fan club & I do put on any info that comes about, together with small updates.

Cheers Richard

2. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Nice to hear she's being cared for in the meantime, keep the faith!

Foxy

3. athelney

athelney Member

Thanks Foxhunter for your support - yes we will run again - one day .

4. athelney

athelney Member

UPDATE 2015 , Just to inform all interested in the UK that we are starting to fund raise for repairs to 2860 Royal Hudson to bring her back to steam . This next weekend 27th June there is a major kick off to the fund raiser as well as a celebration of her 75 th year since she was built in Montreal 1940 ..she will be taken out of the roundhouse and placed on the turntable from Wednesday onward to Saturday , this can be viewed at the webcam on www.wcra.org as well as updates have been put on her FB site 2860 Fan club , more info as we head forward .

5. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We will be looking in at Squamish as part of our big Western Canada trip in August, so look forward to re-acquainting ourselves with 2860. We blasted out of North Vancouver to Squamish in August 1989 behind her and had the privilege of a footplate ride during the turning operations at the latter. The return was a wonderful trip in the bow-ended observation car.
    Pity it doesn't happen anymore, but given time, funds and effort who knows?

6. athelney

athelney Member

For sure come by and take close look , kick the tyres if you wish ..lol , she will be in the roundhouse , work wont start for a long time yet , fund raising first priority .....but we are headed in the right direction ...have a good trip to Canada ...

Cheers Richard

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  7. athelney

athelney Member

So we had a successful day on Saturday the 27th ....2860 was parked on the turntable for pictures and cab visits . We had a cross section of visitors to the cab , families and young children , old friends , we made new friends as well . at around 18.00 we made a couple of 360 degree turns on the table then just before 19.00 our resident Alco S3 switcher # 6503 pushed us back into the Roundhouse to the cheers of about 100 guests gathered to see 2860, speeches were made, then a buffet supper was enjoyed .... Fundraising has commenced

Martin Perry likes this.
  8. athelney

athelney Member

2860 on the turntable in Squamish BC for the fundraiser to start .....

Attached Files:

OldChap likes this.
  9. OldChap

OldChap Member

I must come up and see 2860 when I am next in Seattle in August, I was impressed with 2839 down at the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar California - http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/EndPage.aspx?page=train - and 2850 over in Delson, and have been meaning to get up Squamish for some time... just got to drive through Vancouver :(

10. athelney

athelney Member

Well worth the visit , she is in the roundhouse ...sorry about the drive through Vancouver .....try going straight to Hwy 1 then west and miss the downtown ........

11. OldChap

OldChap Member

Normally I use US I5 and then CA99... so terribly tedious, its actually put me off from visiting more than once, Vancouver is a great place but I can do without it and Seattle city traffic all in the same day.

Anyway if I go via US543 to CA15 and then up it looks like desolate 90% tundra until I hit T-Can... I'll need my Tim Hortons fix as near as I can to US boarder :)

12. athelney

athelney Member

You got the right directions OldChap ..cross the border at the Truck crossing ( they take cars ) - head north on 15 which turns into 176 st and joins Hwy #1 .....then head west & it bypasses the downtown , the only negative, the Port Mann bridge is a toll ..$3.00......... not quite desolate tundra !... lol , but watch for beavers ,. moose and igloo,s ..lol .. by the way the nearest Tim Hortons I could find is at 176th St and 32nd Ave...
    hope you can make it ......

13. athelney

athelney Member

Donations form now up on 2860 Fan Club Facebook page for anyone so wishing to contribute .......or just head on over to Squamish and drop it off in person ... British Airways & Air Canada always willing to transport you ..........for a little extra ....thanks.

Greenway likes this.