If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34067 Tangmere 9th July Cathedrals express

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by LN850, Jul 6, 2009.

1. LN850

LN850 Member

Now its time for that annual 'End of steam' special, I thought now would be a good time to start a new topic for this trip.

I was wondering, would it be possible for 34070 to be in steam at eastleigh on that day because 34067 is passing?

2. wehaveaproblem

wehaveaproblem Member

Draughtsman
    left clapham on time. loads of steam.

3. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Good news - any updates? Should be through Woking now...

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

So much water under the bridge since then............

My last day was the 8th. There was much doubt as to what, if anything would run on the 9th. And I'd been doing overnights leading up to that fateful weekend. But no 100 mph runs over the last 24 hours. Went down on the 02.45 with Gordon Porter and 34095. 93 mph down the bank to Winchester, (slow by his standards). We then got caught with the demu failure on the way back up to catch the 08.30, "The Last One". But Control stopped it at Woking specially for us. Hughes driving and of course 35023 as we all know. 95 down the bank and a damn good overall run. Went onto Weymouth , but had to come back on boxes etc to Southampton as the supposed last up train was a Boat train from Weymouth. And the only certain stop was at Southampton where we got on. Not a bad run in the scheme of things, but very ordinary compared with so many of the last years. An Eastleigh driver.

Hope Tangy does well today. Should have gotten me a late booking, but got drenched in a storm during my training walk on Tuesday. Had to hang around in a"safe" spot to wait for the lightning to abate, so ended up with a bad chill.

5. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Passed Wandsworth Town on time and looking good. I was shooting straight into the sun which was rather annoying, but I still never get tired of the look on commuters faces as a steam train passes!

6. md247

md247 New Member

Just passed down Parkstone bank slowly.

No diesel on the back. Was there one attached before Eastleigh...?

Does anyone know when the banking diesel will be joining Tangmere in Weymouth?

edit: just found the answer in the Exeter thread

7. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Diesel attachments all detailed on uksteam.info. Due to be on the back for any assistance required through Upwey on the return, then dropped off at Wareham. Seem to think this happened last year as well. Timings for Weymouth-Yeovil are always reliant on the long single sections being free "as advertised" so I think the diesel came back all the way at least once last year. Hopefully the train will re-assemble on time for a good run back with lots of noise passing through Parkstone, this time up the hill!

8. Through Dorch Sth at 13.37.

9. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Hope you meant 12:37 - otherwise its lost an hour somewhere...

10. Lol, yes. Sorry for the anxious moment.............. #-o

11. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was wondering how you managed to report its passing 21 minutes before you saw it?????

12. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Wow! If it was going that fast I doubt even my stopwatches could have recorded the performance!

13. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Diesel 37706 which was accompanying Tangmere to Yeovil Jc has apparently failed at Maiden Newton (reports of an electrical fire ?). The return train is now to be banked by South West Trains ED 73235 which is en route to Weymouth. Not sure if Tangmere has left Yeovil Jc yet (at 5pm), so expect the train to be somewhat late returning to Waterloo.

David

14. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Posted this on wrong thread 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Davids already posted but heres mine.

Sorry guys 8-[

37706 is the assisting loco but its jacked at Maiden Newton,Its now dumped at Pen Mill.Tangmere passed Yetminster with support coach at 1710. 73235 on its way to Weymouth from Bournemouth to help 34067 up the bank.

Its going to be late I think................

15. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Thanks for the info - this path/trip does seem to be beset with bad fortunes... Nice journey for the ED though!

16. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    just heard latest,73235 cant couple up to stock,couplings are different or something so Tangmeres going solo up the bank with 73 following behind in case of trouble..Wish I was on Upwey station........................

17. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    From Alberta 45562

34067 has just arrived back at Weymouth and will be making the return trip alone, i.e. without a banker.

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hope somebody manages to get a recording.

19. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Anyone know what the load is today? Gonna be a struggle up that bank with 11 or 12 cars! 3 miles starting just after the start from Weymouth: 1/74, 1/50, 1/52.

After the climb out of Weymouth the timings look relaxed. So it could be a good run back, IF there is a pathway that allows time to be made up. i.e 121 mins up from Southampton with two stops. In the highly unlikely event of a clear road, I would reckon if both stops were short a Light Pacific on, say 11 cars, could do that in not much more than 85 mins with a 75 mph limit. But having stood at Worting Junction waiting for 34067 and 35028 to pass, and having seen the volume of traffic at that end of the line I think getting a clear pathway must be in pipe dream territory.

20. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

Tangmere on load 11 (no rear end assistance) through Dorchester South at 19:31.

David