If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34105 & 76017

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by buseng, Jul 15, 2009.

1. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Now that the MHR website has been updated, there is some good news about 34105 & 76017.
    http://www.watercressline.co.uk/mhn.htm
    Now they seem to be adding regular updates, you might have to scroll down the page to the 15th of July Press release.

2. mjt222

mjt222 New Member

This is excellent news for everyone concerned and proves that the old art of talking to each other does eventually bear fruits. Well done to all concerned =D>

3. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

Press Release off website:

4. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    Swanage Locomotives?

5. buseng

Retired
    I think it means 76017 and "Swanage" (as in 34105), don't think there should be a comma after 76017.

6. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    Of course. Thank you.

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Wonderful news! The MHR fleet is looking good for the next few years. My first ever video shot (S-VHS) was 76017 in the snow, January 1990, accelerating away from Alresford past the (old) down distant signal. She's a perfect loco for a preserved line, and makes a lovely noise to boot. Swanage has always been a personal favourite. I remember spending my birthday (quite a few years ago) riding on Swanange's footpate as pilotman, when the Alresford - Ropley token instruments were out of action.

Obviously, it will be a few years before they are both overhauled. Let's hope Swanage returns before Wadebridge is withdrawn for overhaul. I'd love to see them in service together, perhaps passing at Medstead (facing opposite directions), or double-heading at a gala (facing the same direction!) It will be facinating to have both types of Standard 4 working together, too.

8. porous pot

porous pot New Member

Sensitive, I know, but does this mean that the owner will be allowed back on site? If so, then very good news indeed.

9. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I didn't think Bunch fully owned either locos?

I remember reading that there were many shareholders of 34105 which lead to problems getting into contact for the future of the loco as some members had died, moved away etc.

There used to be a page on the MHR website that had details of an AGM which said who owns what, i swear it said 76017 was part owned by Bunch and someone else though. I could be wrong though.

10. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

I'm glad to hear some positive news for those two as I'm sure they will be very useful for the MHR and the 'issues' surounding them have been cleared. \:D/

11. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Lets hope we can have the oldest and newest bulleids running together at some point.
    [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

12. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I would like to congratulate both parties on reaching an agreement over 76017 and 34105. As a long standing member of the MHR i always thought that a way forward could be found and never bought into the arguement that they would move away elsewhere.

I would also like to add that i still believe that 34016, 73096, 31874, 31806 and 31625 also have a future on the railway beyond 2014, if both parties involved talk amicably to one another. It certainly is no foregone conclusion that they will move elsewhere as some poeple seem to advocate.

Also nice to hear that the new cylinder for 73096 should be cast by the end of August.

13. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I think it was "Swanage " that JB had some interest in , and the other is wholly owned by the "Standard 4 Group" though I stand to be corrected.

Regards
    Chris

14. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I think it was "Swanage " that JB had some interest in , and the other is wholly owned by the "Standard 4 Group" though I stand to be corrected.

Regards
    Chris[/quote:aesm6rrs]

You indeed are correct, however the 34105 Light Pacific group is made up of many small shareholders i believe, in a similar way to 34007. JB i believe has a shareholding in this group as does the MHRPS.

15. Western Bulleid

Western Bulleid Part of the furniture

Journalist
    Excellent news! 34105 is the first locomotive I remember seeing as a 3 year old back in 1993 so will be fantastic from a personal point of view to see it running again.

16. Widge

Widge New Member

This and that
    Terrific news - the Mid Hants just gets better and better! With the 9F only weeks away from completion, the Black 5 coming on in leaps and bounds and work just starting on the new carriage/boiler shop, these are exciting times indeed. Oh and Nelson's running again too.

17. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Well done one and all. A nice story for a change.

18. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

very good news for everyone concerned lets hope now that all parties can indeed put the past behind them and concentrate on the engines concerned
    how long has 34007 got left on her ticket? and what is the likily timescale to get 34105 repaired , i do hope that the bunch engines remain MHR based ,i should imagine that there are a lot of members who remember the mogols in BR livery ,which i prefer to southern green, and would love to see the N class be restored to working condition again

19. buseng

Retired
    Just received the latest SR, it states that 76017 could be running in 2 1/2 years & 34105 by 2013.

20. 73096

73096 Member

The same magazine that claimed bittern would be running one and a half years before it did?