If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

3417: Back to Life

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Keelar001, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

Railway work of a needful and demanding nature.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    After a works day from some very dedicated individuals, 423 417 - Wimbledon's depot pet and on long term loan to the Bluebell (that's what we think, anyway) - was wheeled onto the juice and cut in after 8 months inside.

I'm happy to report that in the best traditions of English Electric control equipment the Old Lady fired up with no problem. Several long standing defects have been rectified and a few more found but otherwise she is back in the land of the living.

Apart from the ultra-sonic axle testing needed to allow her back onto the main, along with the obvious OTMR and CDL considerations, she is all but ready to work that notional Portsmouth semi-fast again.

2. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I look forward to the day when 1881, 3417 and hopefully one or both of the Lymington Cigs are roaring through Woking on a bucket and spade trip, making their way to Weymouth or perhaps even Swanage with a couple of 73's. I dont know how likely that is to happen, or whether it would even pay, but i can dream cant i? :)

Chris

3. 60525

60525 Member

Well I'd pay for a trip down memory lane..... any more takers?

4. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

any mainline run would most likily with be the lyminton 3cigs, as they would most likily be in ticket , and would be easier to fit cdr and tpws if they have not already got it fitted the mulitple doors on a vep would be a headache to wire up i would guess

what would be the reason for having a 73 on the train, is it for operational reasons, ie insurance incase of traction problems? or to allow the use of slam door stock without cup and cone ,ie turns it into mk1 hauled stock

5. Christopher125

For Swanage you'd obviously need some diesel power, plus they act as the neccesary barrier on one end (or both if t'n't), giving you an extra coach of passengers. While the cost of CDL on each VEP door would obviously be too much, could some not be bolted shut in the same way as the centre doors on many mk1's and 2's ?

Chris

6. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

There are ways and means, my dears....

Personally I would like to see us going places on our own, but the H&S restrictions that apply to having punters in the leading vehicle of a MK1 vehicle will need careful examination; ways around it include topping and tailing with compatible locos or other vehicles or locking out the leading vehicle. CDL and OTMR are of course the other razor-blades in the candy floss...

Having the diesel component would be handy from a reliability standpoint; especially a push-pull Crompton which would have sufficient oomph to get the whole caravan out of the way at an acceptable speed should something go wrong with the juice.

Swanage, the Mad-Pants and the Bluebell would be marvellous destinations - although I think I'm right in saying that only the Bluebell and the Mid-Hants would have juice rail runn-off ramps; if we went to Swanage without tieing the shoes up, we'd knock 'em all off on the way back onto the main. That said, NR are supposed to be resignalling the area in the next few years and I'm sure some thoughtful soul will make the required adjustments!

Rest assured that we aren't mucking about - between the Bluebell, Bruce Knights and a small mob of fitters, drivers and managers from various TOCs we are commited to putting slammers back on the road; keep your buckets and spades handy chaps.

Oh yes - for pictures of the VEP; storage to live in six hours, please check the website:
    http://wimbledonparkdepot.spaces.live.com

7. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Looking forward to seeing this beauty back on the mainline again - Maybe the opportunity will arise for her to go onto the Lymington Branch as me and my Dad are going there very soon???? I for one would love the opportunity for a good shot!

8. Christopher125

I think it highly unlikely she will be seen on the Lymington Branch, there can only be one train on the branch.

Chris

9. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

Sadly there are a few problems with that request - she's too long for the Lymmie and she has no CDL; there will, however, be a few other places she'll be appearing next year that won't require door locks.

Watch this space!

10. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Thanks for the update mate - Looking forward to seeing where she'll be.....

11. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

are the lymington cigs fitted with OTMR and CDL , I wonder, did any of the former REP buffet cars escape the cutters, be good to have one that can be used also what about having motorised lugage vans fore and aft that would take care of the issue of the front passinger issue and give additional umpth too, as long as it doesnt overload the line fuses