If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35005 Can Pac

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by mike1522, May 23, 2012.

1. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I was reading the Cheltanham blog earlier today and there was a mention there of 35005 to be restored. We know that the locomotive was moved there last year. Has anyone else heard and know anything since that move to Eastliegh?

2. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Hi Mike

Fundraising has already started for the Loco. Early days yet though I understand that with the agreement of Knights Rail, this will be the next Loco to be restored at Eastleigh.

This is only my opinion (and I am not speaking for anyone else), but I would have liked to have seen Ivatt 41312 the next in line for restoration.

Best regards
    Chris:

3. 45407&44871

45407&44871 Guest

perhaps the reason for choosing 35005 over 41312 is because of its strength? I'd agree with you that it'd be nice to see it back in service, but how long has waedbridge got left before overhaul?
    BR blue please :D
    Matt

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In all fairness though, 41312 is privately owned. 35005 is not. Whether or not the owner intends on having her run again at the MHR or if an overhaul is planned in the next 2 years i do not know. Secondly, even if this wasn't the case, 35005 has been waiting for an overhaul longer than 41312.

With regards to 34007, she returned to service in 2006. This August will make it 6 years. Not sure when she will be due an overhaul, all depends on the locomotives condition and if she is fit to continue being used which is of course the same for all locomotives. She may have to wait for her overhaul as lets face it, with 34105 due out within a couple of years and 35005 getting an overhaul, does the MHR want 3 active bulleids? Not forgetting the long term project 34058.