If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4110 Restoration at ESR

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by pwsw5054, Oct 23, 2019.

1. pwsw5054

pwsw5054 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Announced on East Somerset Railway Facebook page that negotians to restore Large Prairie tank 4110 at Cranmore after 5239 are at an advanced stage with the loco expected to arrive in the new year. The engine will be then resident on the ESR for a few years.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Johnme101, Matt78, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ian Milne

Ian Milne New Member

That’s great news. Is 5637 also being overhauled at Cranmore and if so will it be done before, after or alongside 4110?

3. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    As I understand it, 5637 will return to Swindon and Cricklade just before its 10 year ticket expires so that they can get the last few turns from her.

4. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I half expected 4110 to be overhauled at ESR after Goliath. However it remaining resident at Cranmore for a few years is an interesting move.

Presumably this hire period is in part payment for the overhaul, and enables 4110 to be restored quicker when otherwise the DSR might not have the funds available to start work on it now. A win win situation.

Johnme101 and MattA like this.
  5. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Still working on that...
    I think it might also be due to expected availability of other locos at the DSR. As well as 5239, they've got two more years of 7827, 75014 until 2026, plus 2253 will be arriving shortly and 4277 and 4555 undergoing overhaul (although I understand 4555 is likely to be used as a loan loco for other railways). Even if 4110 returns to action after 7827 bows out, there will still be 3 or 4 steam locos available. The DSR has never, in my experience, been a railway to have massively more locomotives available than they will require on any one day, so I doubt they would find enough use for 4110 if it was competing with 4 other engines for turns. Far better to loan it out to other railways and get some extra money coming in to go in the bank for the next big overhaul. My guess is 4110 won't become a Dartmouth regular until 75014 bows out.

Of course, this is all assuming every locomotive on the DSR books runs perfectly until their boiler certificate expires, which is very unlikely!

MattA likes this.
  6. Azrall

Azrall New Member

Commercial Manager
    Well that's the plan, nothing's been set in stone yet....