If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

43106 Derailment

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Matt2284, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Matt2284

Matt2284 New Member

http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=534&start=90

Its not having a lucky couple of days this loco

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    It doesn't do the heritage railway cause much good what with the recent Deltic derailment on the Nene Valley. Again it looks as if it happened on a set of points. Unfortunately it attracts the attention of the various authorities who might look harder at heritage line operations.

4. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

"it attracts the attention of the various authorities"

How paranoid is that? What about the other months of the year when nothing untoward happens?

When two planes go down in a week and 300+ die, people don't close down the airlines, they have a proper investigation and make recommendations for preventing a repeat.

If there's a common factor with the points in both these cases and the inspector happens to recommend more spending on track maintenance, so be it. We can't just play with our engines once we start carrying people.

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Just as well it didn't happen a couple of days earlier..would have to be the new loco though! I gather 43106 is undamaged? The SVR however has an excellent safety record and will no doubt implement any recommendations.

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Get real perleeze. This isn't the first derailment on a heritage line and it probably won't be the last. An investigation will take place, recommendations made and changes carried out if deemed necessary. All in a day's work for the inspectorate.

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Mountains and Mole Hills come to mind, there are numerous slow speed derailments on the national network in places like shunting yards that don't get the same level of publicity, doesn't mean they don't happen mind.

8. buseng

Retired
    As per on this forum, you make an innocent opinion or observation , all the regular cronies jump up & slag you off. It's the same names each time. Look at the ELR steam availability thread for instance.
    By the way, aircraft have been grounded as a result of an accident, take Concorde for instance. Also airlines have had their licence taken away or suspended plus very heavily fined.

9. Martin Perry

And quite rightly so.
    Its a shame that people seem to regard the regulatory authorities as some sort of enemy that things must be hidden from. If your operation is safe and well managed, then you will have little to fear from them. They are not there to try to catch you out, they are there to either help prevent accidents happening in the first place by ensuring that rules are followed, or in the event of an accident, to investigate what went wrong and advise (or regulate, if necessary) to try to prevent recurrence. Whats wrong with that?

10. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

11. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    No, that wasn't an innocent observation, as it suggests at best carelessness and possibly willful negligence, that the the Railway's operations brought about this derailment. They might have done, but you don't know, and it's possible that no-one else does at this stage either.

The derailment will be investigated, the cause established and whatever measures are needed to prevent a recurrence will no doubt be taken. It isn't as though derailments are a daily event, either on the SVR or any other preserved line, even if all were considered together. But we live in an imperfect world and accidents do occur occassionally, despite peoples' best efforts to prevent them. They're part of life, we have them, learn from them and move on. We certainly don't encourage them, so the opening statement, "It doesn't do the heritage railway cause much good what with the recent Deltic derailment on the Nene Valley," is rather pointless and very naive. We're already fully aware that they aren't wanted.

12. buseng

Retired
    I did not say anything of the sort! No names were mentioned, no blame was laid. Looking at your username, you are obviously biased. Also I am a fully paid up member of the SVR & have a few shares from years ago.

13. Sheddist

Sheddist New Member

We can all look forward to the RAIB report which will be published "in due course" (usually after several months) meanwhile the rest of the world can speculate at will.

14. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The Bridgnorth Station website confirms that the tender is now rerailed. Also includes a photo of the SVR P-Way teams "homework" for tomorrow. Lets hope they have a suitable turnout in stock.

http://www.bridgnorthstation.co.uk

Thanks to that website for the info.

15. 45002

45002 New Member

Hyperspace...............................
    No I do not currently volunteer
  16. Martin Perry

Interesting - Looks like the tender took the RH road, wonder why?

17. 46118

Lets hope there isn't too much damage to the tender to put right.

I suspect separating the engine and tender could have been difficult, the tender cab wouldn't help.

18. b.oldford

b.oldford Member

Looks like. . . .Isn't that speculation in itself? Those up-close-and-personal may have more evidence to support more accurate speculation but I doubt they would place it on this forum.

19. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    From http://www.bridgnorthstation.co.uk

20. 46118

Presumably there is a good reason for not rushing to replace the set of points/turnout/switch or whatever we are supposed to call them now. Maybe other track work was planned for Hampton Loade and it makes sense to do the whole lot at one go. The inconvenience in the short -term will be a reduced diesel gala, and possibly fewer trains at half-term when Tornado visits. Other than that, I guess they can do without crossing trains at HL for the winter period.