If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

45015 - The end?

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Martin Perry, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    According to WNXX.com:

2. monarch

monarch Well-Known Member

carpetfitter
    Not that surprising really having seen it at the recent diesel gala it looked in pretty bad shape

3. klambert

klambert New Member

I hate it when preserved diesels go for scrap, I thought the whole point of preservation was to prevent this. I notice mainly preserved diesels go to scrap but steam engines dont :(

4. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    id say there will be many more diesels heading for the scrapyard over the years..theres just too many preseerved and not enough work for them to pay for their upkeep.

5. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I think had people got the money in their pockets that some seem to now (from the number of diesels purchased) , a significant larger number of steam engines would have been bought e-xBR. Whether they would all be in use now is a moot point.

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

There's still plenty of steam locomotives to restore.. unfortunately many owners dont have the money to restore them, but believe they are sitting on a winning lottery ticket.
    Diesel owners appear more realistic and sell up for scrap when realisation sets in.

7. Edward

Edward Member

You call this preservation? http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2006b/45015_1.htm

That loco has only decayed further, since withdrawl. There's obviously neither the funds, or interest, to do anything with it. It's not experienced preservation, more deferred scrapping.

You've got to realise, that a preserved diesel is going to have to be largely financed by the owners. They simply will not get the running to earn much income towards their upkeep.

I wouldn't agree with what you're saying about steam either. Several of the last locos to come out of Barry, are going to be broken up to provide parts for various replica schemes. Others have gone the same way previously.

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    As someone who has been involved in the restoration of a Barry wreck, I can confirm that buying the loco of your choice is the easy bit. Restoring it and then running it takes a lot of commitment, lots of hard work and lots of money. Without these vital ingredients no scheme will succeed.

Dave Williams likes this.
  9. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I thought someone had found a 'new' Black Five !!! That'll teach me to read thread headings more carefully !

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

That reminds me of one tuesday night in the early 1990s when dozens of people mis-read the WTT and saw 45112 being transferred to the East Lancs up the Bury electric line...
    They were surprised to see a scrap class 45 diesel being towed in and not a Black 5.

11. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    In some ways it may be a positive thing. Hopefully the scrap dealer will be wise enough to allow various peak owners to pay him for some parts. Although 45015 is heavily robbed I am sure there are bits that could aid the running/overhaul of other 44-46s.
    45015 is a no hoper now, years without a roof on, major components missings, you'd need half a million quid at least to do it properly. Its wont be the last either........

12. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
  13. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  14. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

So I doubt the loco will be going anywhere until this dispute is settled apart from the great scrapyard in the sky by the sounds of it!

15. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  16. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

OK I have edited mine now too!!! Hopefully that explains what appears to be happening at the moment!

Pete

17. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  18. Coboman

Coboman Member

Unless its cut on site, its going to be a mamouth task to extract it to take it away. Theres some very sad looking locos in the way.

19. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

I'm sure there will be many more in years to come....We'd be better off saving fewer locos of many classes and looking after them properly. The same applies to all locos and items of rolling stock. Name a standard gauge railway without sidings littered with decaying coaches and wagons. They must put the general public off when they travel.

20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

but today's project impossible is tomorrows star turn . We need a few chicken sheds and rusting heaps to inspire the next generation of restorers and show everyone what makes and made theis country great