If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

46229 Tysely - York NRM Move

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by jonhewes, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonhewes

jonhewes New Member

IT Tech Support
    Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone knows when 46229 is due to be moved back to York in time for it's exhibition which is due to start in May.

I had heard that 46229 was to be dragged to York by the loco (can't remember name/number) which was supposed to be haulling the return leg of the Citry of York railtour, but this was cancelled due to the loco failing and the trip being haulled by 5043 throughout.

Does anyone know the transportation arrangements for 46229 yet? It would be good to see her back on the mainline, even if being dragged out of steam.

Regards

Jon

2. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry no info as such, though the 'City Of York' railtour was always suppose to be hauled by No.5043 'Earl of Mount Edgecumbe' throughout, No.5043 was the engine that had failed and someone reported that the railtour wouldn't run because of this failure of a bent rod on its charter to Bristol.

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

and you believe what's published in the magazines ?

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    5043 did run the trip on Saturday though.

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I raised this in another thread on 5043 the other week. The plan originally was that 5043 was to haul 6229 to the NRM and then take part in a GWR express loco line up with KGV, Truro and Lode Star in May. According to Heritage Railway, on hearing that Edgcumbe had failed at Didcot the NRM decided to pull the plug on the line up, even though 5043 was nearly repaired in time to haul the return leg of the railtour on which it failed. It returned to Tyseley under it's own power a couple of days later and was evidently fit enough to travel to York at the weekend. Anyone know why such a hasty decision to cancel the line up was made? I still wouldn't put it past Tyseley to use steam to transport 6229 even without the line up taking place as it would mark the project's conclusion very well.

6. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

It would be interesting to know how "tight" to guage the streamlined loco is. Clearly it is within guage to be towed to York. I wonder if this cosmetic addition of streamlining was made easier guage-wise because there is presumably no need to instal boiler lagging and the like underneath said streamline casing, because it isn't going to steam.

7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I was under the impression that the streamlining has been done 'within gauge' to allow for a future return to steam? I could of dreamt that of course! No doubt that some clearances will be tighter though.
    Edit: Latest issue of Steam Railway says that the casing has been designed to be within the 13ft clearance for any future mainline running. Also states that 6229 is due to be at the NRM mid May for the start of a new exhibition. No comment on whether steam to tow her to York but apparently NRM blaming gauging issues and 5043's failure for the cancellation of the GWR express loco event this bank hoilday weekend... Impressive picture of 6229 on the front cover but she's still someway from being finished and therefore probably wouldn't have been finished for this weekend anyway.

8. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Cheers, thanks for that confirmation (re the guage).

Regards

9. Bob Meanley

Bob Meanley New Member

Just to clarify this issue on 5043. There has been a lot of confused rubbish as to why the move/ GW weekend didn't occur printed in various mags in the last month. Quite simply, as in most projects in this business there has been an overrun on 6229 which meant that it would not return to York in time for the intended GW weekend. 5043 was perfectly fit to have undertaken the move or indeed to have gone to York - again - for that weekend without the Duchess, but there would have been a significant cost to doing so (bearing in mind that the GW display was going to be free) and more importantly it would have meant 5 or 6 days away from Tys this weekend for a number of people who are currently beavering away right now on finishing 6229. So common sense dictated that the GW event was best deferred to another time, and I think it is fair to say that both parties still have an intent to put the display on at some time in the future - the idea has not gone away.

With regard to gauging, the loco remains at exactly the same height as it was in its un-streamlined form prior to work commencing. The problem as always with one of these engines is the front corners of the firebox and as such the stremalined casing is actually about 1/16" off the rivet heads in the front Belpaire corners of the firebox. These engines have always had conventional boiler casing underneath the streamline casing, and as such the original casing remains in place underneath the new streamline casing, so as and when the day may come to get it going again there would be no problem with boiler insulation.

Hope this clear up the query

Bob

10. g4pfk

g4pfk Member

engineer
    just appeared on UK steam loco movement list

Friday 15th May ?6229? Tyseley LW - York NRM

any more inf?

11. Midland Red 1947

Midland Red 1947 New Member

Shrouded in mystery as well as streamlining!

U K Steam timings are for Saturday 15th May 2009 !

Is that Friday 15th or Saturday 16th I wonder?

12. D1963

D1963 Member

Or even Monday 18th :-$

13. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.