If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by chris meadowcroft, Feb 14, 2010.

1. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

Chemical Engineering Manager
    I have started a new thread as 48624 will be starting a new chapter of its life in preservation.

The Churnet Valley Railway are pleased to announce that the 8F will arrive at the railway in June 2010 and stay until February 2011.

Regards

Chris

2. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    Hurrah !!!!

A new chapter indeed and 5199 can have a rest

Any chance of a change of livery as much a I quite like the red I do think black would put more money in the pot for 48624s future

Just a thought

3. conireland

conireland Member

I don't see why having another 8F in BR Black would be beneficial. I love seeing locomotives in different liveries (Pre-BR) but I seem to be in the minority. Surely it is more important having a running locomotive that is funded for the future rather than a paint machine that is short on money and running dates.

4. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    While this is good news for the engine, I'm not quite sure why the move required a new thread to be started? Are we to have a new thread for every engine move? The other thread was about 48624 - not about 48624 at railway X. Surely the other thread would still be suitable for this kind of news?

Keith

5. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    I agree with your point on it being more important to have a running locomotive than worry too much about the panit etc .....

But i would of thought as 48624 would be after every penny it can get no doubt a few photocharters at the CVR would be quite lucrative fot both the railway and 48624

Obviously it would have to be black to appeal to the photo charter chaps

6. amcoward

amcoward New Member

Controller Metrolink
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well done to the CVR for hosting 8624 (in whatever colour - it's only paint folks). Whilst it is a shame to see it depart from Rowsley it is hardly surprising and I hope that the crews on the CVR enjoy refreshing themselves on 8624 in preparation for when Mr Wilson's 8F comes on stream in the future - I know 48305 has been there before. The owning group are a top bunch of chaps and I wish them and the loco well.

7. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Have any steaming dates been confirmed during the remaining period at Peak Rail?

Tim

8. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Good news, but i dont really think it needs a new thread. Anyway, i look forward to hearing her being driven in the usual exuberant CVR style!

9. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    Agreed. I have no problems with the LMS red either (although that would be different if it was the ONLY 8F in existance), but perhaps further into the loco's ticket - once both the novelty of the red, and the requirement for money in the pot increases, a re-paint into black may be the logical step to take. Time will tell - but I hope to see the loco in red at some point in the future!

10. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Good to hear that 48624 has found a new railway, even though it will be only for 8 months at least.

It would indeed give 5199 a well over-due rest as the Large Prairie has been being the bulk of passenger work on the CVR for sometime now.

11. 48624

48624 New Member

The only dates given by Peak Rail this year are the 2nd and 3rd of May.

12. 48624

48624 New Member

Regarding the earning capacity of the loco in it's current livery I can confirm that there have been no shortage of offers for it as it is.
    I would also like to stress that this is not a permanent move to the CVR and the loco will be available to other railways from the end of February next year.

13. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    If she was unique then I think the livery would matter more, for to earn extra in photo charters etc then authentic liveries is the way to go.

However being in LMS Crimson Lake makes her unique, and for this reason I would hope she at least stay in this condition for a while at least. Maybe once the interest has faded repaint her but let's see her running first!

14. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

A somewhat sideways comment is that this presumably leaves Peak Rail back dependant on their Austerity, which must be well into its ticket now.

I dont blame the 8F people though, no point in it just sitting in the shed with the boiler cert ticking away.

15. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    No credit to the 8F for wanting to maintain their locos long term future. I got to meet a member of the group last summer and speaking with him you could tell the group have their heads screwed on, and you felt sorry that they weren't able to enjoy seeing the fruits of the efforts operate more. Hopefully 2010 will bring a lot more good fortune for them.

16. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

But it would seem to be a situation of there own making as if they wanted to keep the 8f then surely they would of offered more running dates. Unless it is for economic reasons eg hire fees I cant see why they decided they didn't need it. At least at the moment if the Austerity failed they would have steam back up where as now they wont.

17. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    No surprise, I am slightly disappointed given the long restoration period at Peak rail that the line could not find a place for it, however I suspect until they break out to bakewell it just does not make economic sense to use a large engine on the line on a regular basis, and both projects probably seemed as far of when restoration started.

18. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I remember when the GWR ran only to Gretton which is pretty much the same length as the current peak rail line (just under 4 miles) and we used during the period before the extension to far stanley 7752, 6106, 5080, 46521, 3440, 6998, 34105 and 60103. of these the first four were used in regular service and of particular interest 5080 was used regularly until it encountered tyre problems. There is one more engine that ran in that period, one which prehaps provides the most direct comparason to the 8f - 2857. This visited for the whole of the 1992 seaon and was used very regularly - in fact it was used in preference to the industrials where possible not just because it was a main liner but mainly because it actually cost less to run than the industrials (hire fees excepted).
    I still think it is down to the hire fees and the fiancial drain they would have on the railways income ie more bums on seats for the same income.
    It is nobodys fault not the railways or 48624's owners and really is a catch 22 situation but money makes the world go round (and pays for railways infustucture and engines overhauls).

19. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Love to see her facing south instead if nothbefore she goes, unlikely baring the turntable getting operational.

20. chrisj94

chrisj94 New Member

Looking forward to seeing 8624 earn her keep,but I do hope she gets some more runs at Rowsley before leaving,and I agree it would be fanstastic to see her turned to face south!