If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

5967 Bickmarsh Hall

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Peckett 2104, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Peckett 2104

Peckett 2104 New Member

Mobile Operations Manager
    Hi folks,

Thought people might be interested in what been going on in the last few months. Firstly the bogie truck has been removed so work can start on that and also the inside of the frames around the clyinders. Cleaning and painting the boiler continues at a steady pace. Most of the barrel is now done along with the back head and some of the firebox. New name and number plates have been ordered with expected delivery of September. Parts are still being aquired in the background as things present themselves.

We are having a working week 13th - 18th April so anyone wishing to come and see how were getting on you will be very welcome. You can also keep up to date at

http://www.bickmarshhall.co.uk

Adam

2. mick wilson

mick wilson Member

](*,) I'm not wishing to knock your enthusiasm but its good to see the priorities are in the right order.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ](*,) I'm not wishing to knock your enthusiasm but its good to see the priorities are in the right order.[/quote:1e39amvh]

What's wrong with that ? 6880 has her numberplates and one nameplate completed with the other on order. It's a small item but it does seem to generate more help. They are something that can be easily be displayed and visually show some form of progression.

Good luck with 5967. The updates of your website are very good btw. Only thing that is missing is a picture or two to show the progression being made imo.

4. Peckett 2104

Peckett 2104 New Member

Lil bear has hit the nail on the head. We are planning on taking a stand to some shows and a nameplate/number makes a good centre peice. Photos will be added to the website as soon as I receive them. Having some e-mail problems at the moment.

Glad you like the website

Adam

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've just had a look at the website. I am pleased that another Barry wreck is beginning the long haul back to working order.

It may sound a bit pedantic, but on the front page of the website, 5967 goes from "she" to "it" and then back to "she" again. If your'e happy with this, fine, but next time you plan to make any changes, you might wish to change this for the sake of consistency.

Don't want to nit-pick and sound critical, just thought it might look a bit tidier. Other than that, it's good, and best wishes wih restoring this engine.

6. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the update and the link. It's great to see that another GWR Hall is now coming back to life, especially as this one had to wait at "another Barry" before its second chance (a little unfair description but I hope you understand what I mean). I recall that one of the 1st things I did when we secured 4277 from Barry Yard back in 1985 was to order a replacement set of brass numberplates! Having a "named" loco is even better and I would argue that your priorities are right - people can see the name and numberplates on display and the brasswork can often assist in fund-raising as such items are good at generatijng interest. I think you are doing the right thing. More power to your elbow and keep up the good work!

7. nhthompson

nhthompson New Member

Engineer
    Good luck with the restoration. Regarding the website, I couldn't see a page describing who owns the loco and whether you are looking for support, financial or otherwise.

8. Peckett 2104

Peckett 2104 New Member

Thanks for your views on the website. Always glad to receive constructive comments. With regards to the locos ownership it is owned by a private individual who prefers not to be named on the web, but im sure he would be willing to meet anyone with a genuine interest in the loco. He does post on here sometimes and im sure after reading this he will prob say hello. With regards to help we are mainly looking for volunteers at this stage however if anyone does feel they would like to contribute financally or phisically to the loco then drop us a email and we can have a chat.

Adam

9. 1X99

1X99 Member

I have a sort of wierd dyslexia with this loco, I keep reading it as "Bismark Hall". #-o

10. baldric

baldric Member

According to the website the pony truck has been removed, was it the leading or trailing one?

11. Steamchest

Steamchest New Member

Coach driver
    Hmm, as this is a GWR "Hall" 4-6-0 I guess it must be the leading truck!

John.

12. 5967

5967 New Member

Hi

Thanks for all the comments - we've just altered the website to add a 'how you can help' page and are looking to also add a donate button via paypal. Some of the gramatical errors have also been done #-o , you dont always notice things yourself.

Come along and see us everyones welcome and theres plenty to do!!

Nick

13. baldric

baldric Member

Normally known as a bogie not pony.

14. Steamchest

Steamchest New Member

Coach driver
    Ah yes, you're right. They must have meant "bogie" I suppose.

John.

15. Steamchest

Steamchest New Member

Coach driver
    Good website, although the navigation buttons had lost the links to their graphics when I visited. Judging by the photo on the News page a complete set of new tyres will be on the shopping list!

John.

16. nhthompson

nhthompson New Member

Engineer
    I think "Bismark" was a diesel hydraulic "Warship" not a Hall; probably one built by DB!

17. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

:smt046

18. fentmar

fentmar New Member

Good luck with the project and thanks for keeping people in the loop. This engine largely written off and great to see the work beginning.

19. Johnw

Johnw Part of the furniture

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member

Perhaps not, however at one time our Warship, D821 Greyhound, was part painted up in DB colours and carried the name 'Windhund'.

http://www.westernchampion.co.uk/images/d821_g15.jpg