If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6024 EGM

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by skinnycow, Aug 16, 2010.

1. skinnycow

skinnycow New Member

This has just been posted this morning on the 6024 Preservations website - it is planned to hold an Extraordinary General Meeting of the society at Swindon on Saturday 11th September 2010.

2. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have printed off the leaflet will now join.

3. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    Latest Steam Railway are quoting legal costs of £500,000 i hope everybody learns from this.

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    It is frightening how quickly legal costs spiral once that road is embarked upon.

Rail preservation is a big money business and the legal and negotiating skills needed to properly reflect intentions are every bit as important as the spanner wielding engineers

Once egos get in the way of proper personal relationships and compromise, the only destination is disaster.

It is clear that the intention was to share costs and skills between the 6024 Group and Tyseley - I wonder why nobody spotted that the legal bill was far outstripping the actual cost of the time and costs in dispute or had the commonsense to call a halt.

I certainly would not like to be a trustee of the 6024 Group at present, as in Trust law trustees carry full personal responsibility for their decisions - which can - in extremis lead to sequestration of house, savings, etc in full. Their decisions will undoubtedly come under scrutiny and will need to be fully justifiable to avoid such a possibility.

Its the old saying again - "JawJaw is better than War War"

5. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Well, as the ordinary members are not liable, let's just hope some of the trustees are well to do, else the only viable option will be to sell the assets, What a mess.

6. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired
    Never a truer word spoken Stu, indeed what a mess. The selling of the assets, is there just the one ? but who will buy the loco in the present climate. I hope that it wont be the end of the line for 6024. I just checked my lotto for tonight and no six numbers so I am out of the running this week.

7. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    6024, support coach, water wagon....

8. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired
    Of course I forgot those, not sure of the water carrier as an asset as it appears to have vanished into the background.Here's hoping all turns out well.

9. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Sold to the RSLGT - see page 9 of http://www.railwayherald.com/magazine/pdf/RHUK/Issue251.pdf

A new beginning, with much potential. The outcome could have been much worse. I hope lessons will be learnt across the steam fraternity and from now on people will put the locomotives we all love before their own desires/glory/reputations/self interests.

10. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

RSLGT : "Royal Scot Locomotive & General Trust" , is this an organisation in which Mr Hosking is involved?

Reading the Railway Herald piece, it sounds like a good outcome in the circumstances.

11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I do believe Mr. Hosking is involved with this trust. A very good outcome for 6024 all things considered.

12. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    So what's actually going on here? Is 6024 up for sale or overhaul or has the trust hit a financial &legal brick wall?

13. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Suggest you read the article but to condense it down into a sentence: 6024 has been sold to cover legal costs and forthcoming overhaul.

14. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    So what were the circumstances that caused the legal matter?

Regards

15. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    would have read the article, but no link was given.
    Well, at least she's already been sold. Much more promising future than with the bailiffs eh?

16. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Litigation I think. I'm sure there must be a thread somewhere on here that deals with it greater depth.

17. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Took your advice and looked for other threads. There isn't much, but I get the impression that the society took legal action against two members, presumably well heeled members, and lost. Earlier in this thread sympathy was expressed with the 6024 Societies' Trustees. I have none. One of the reasons that trustees of any society can have such dreadfull action taken against them is that it will motivate them to keep that society on the straight and level. Clearly the 6024 Societies' trustees didn't do so and now the society is in deep pooh.

Still, 6024 is in good hands, probably better hands than before.

Regards

18. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

What happend is that Steve Underhill took legal action against Tim Watson editor of the societys journal "The Kings Messenger" following allegations of fiancial irregularity that had led to his resignation and had been published in the journal. Although the costs were awarded against Mr Watson the society had agreed to support it's editor and therefore reponsiblilty for paying was left to the society which meant that sale was the only option so following a seceret vote it was decided to sell 6024 to the RSGLT of which Jeremy Hoskin is a trustee. 90% of the vote was in favour of the sale which included a fund towards the next overhaul and the deal will secure the future of 6024 on the mainline. The 6024 society will continue to act as a support group for the king. This story was widely reported in the railway press with stories in Steam Railway, Heritage railway and the Railway magazine as well as the Railway Herald so it is in the public domain.

19. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hence the expresssion, "Don't shoot the messenger."

20. BristleGWR

BristleGWR Member