If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Mar 14, 2009.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

A comment on the wsr.org website says that 6024 is out of the forthcoming gala due to firebox problems, but there is nothing mentioned about such problems on either of the websites associated with 6024.

Does any kind soul have any latest news about what has been found to be wrong with 6024's firebox?

Thanks

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    From the WSR Gala thread

cracks found in the firebox tubeplate is my understanding

Re: WSR Spring Gala 2009
    by keith speller on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi,

6100 will arrive at Bishops Lydeard on Saturday 21st March, after having passed it's steam test earlier this week. It will remain on the low loader for the first weekend. If tests go well during the week, it will run during the second section of the gala, starting and finishing at Minehead. Steve Latham and his team have done an heroic job in getting her ready and deserve a resounding round of applause.

Unfortunately, 6024 has firebox tubeplate problems and will not feature - suffice to say the 6024 team are gutted as they also have slogged away doggedly to get her ready after her winter maintenance. She will be on static display at Williton with the 6024 sales stand. 60019, 88, 3850 and 5553 will fill in her turns.

Loco diagram changes, turntable usage details and loco starting directions will appear on the usual websites shortly. 60019 and 6100 are, at present, outwith the maximum permitted load and so will not be turned. Everything else ends up dizzy!

cheers

Keith for WSR Special Events Planning Teamkeith speller
    Locomotion

Local Railway: wsr

3. Ron Brewer

Ron Brewer New Member

Preserved Railway Supporter/Follower
    Oh no, is that a serious problem? I love the Kings and was hoping for a chance to catch up again. Any idea when 6024 will be up and running again?

4. JANE-RAISBOROUGH

JANE-RAISBOROUGH New Member

Hi Ron no not sure yet how long it will take but be we have a great bunch of lads and lass that will bring
    her back as soon as possible long live the king =D> \:D/

5. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Such a shame for the 6024 guys & gals. Bad luck seems to be chasing 6024 about at the moment. I'm sure better times lie ahead.

Regards,

Paul

6. That thought is echoed by all involved with 6024. She will return, never fear!

FC

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Does the 6024 group know yet how long repairs might take? I'm guessing the loco will be out of action for a few months, pehaps until the Torbay Express series in August? ATM, she has mainline tours booked on 18th April Newport to Carmarthen and back, 2nd May Exeter to Par and back, 30th May WSR to Paddington, and 6th June Banbury to Chester and back. Just wondering which of these might be postponed until she's ready, and which would use an alternative loco. Being steam in one direction only, 30th May looks like a positioning run and presumably wouldn't run unless 6024 was fit.

8. jimbo

jimbo New Member

I think i speak for all the people at Williton In sending all our support for the King crew.

9. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Sad news, I hope 6024 will be returned to full health soon, the mainline needs a fully fit King.

I wonder what will happen about the 2nd May. This was a 6024 Society tour (on which I'm booked) I guess this will be a casualty of these problems, shame.

10. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hope its not too bad and you can get her fixed before too long,we have faith in you!!!

Cheers,
    Mark and Alan

11. 46118

I started this topic, and am guilty of being vague. What I intended to ask was "how extensive are the repairs likely to be"?
    The repair might mean some welding, or at the other extreme a new tubeplate, and in between removing some tubes/flues, depending on where the cracks propogate from.

I was hoping someone connected with 6024 might be able to provide an answer, if the true extent is yet known, which in fairness it may not be at this stage.

[To save you looking, the two websites connected with 6024 (6024.com and huwbutton) dont make any comment as yet]

regards

12. Thanks to everyone including the guys at Williton for their great support. You are right, we dont know what the extent of it is yet, but keep looking at Huw Button site and he will post i'm sure as soon as he can.

In the meanwhile the plan is to have 6024 outside on display this coming weekend at Williton, so ( [-o< ) if the sun keeps shining, come on down and say hi and bring your cameras!

FC

13. m1ss_wh1te

m1ss_wh1te New Member

Can anyone say what has caused this many cracks to appear in the bridges all at once?

14. James

James Part of the furniture

Oh I expect you can.

15. The legend

The legend New Member

Railwayman
    Whats your view then?

16. James

James Part of the furniture

Whats your view then?[/quote:u23grfr2]

My view is that there are always stirrers of excrement on this forum who crawl out from under their stones whenever the King has trouble, ready to discredit everyone involved with the loco by dropping plenty of unsubtle hints about maintenance and quality of workmanship. It's no coincidence that two have already posted in this thread.

17. 46118

Cracks in bridges?... ](*,)

18. boldford

boldford Member

The narrowest (and hence the weakest) part of the tubeplate between two tubes. I'm given to understand, in BR days, the firebox tubeplates of locomotives in some front rank services would last as little as 5 years.

19. 5 Years? That doesn't seem very long. I am not up on metallurgy, castings etc so excuse my ignorance, but if a loco is kept insteam as they were in their heyday surely that was better for the metal than our practice today of heating things up and then letting them go cold again time after time? Its just that 5 years doesn't sound very long, although in those days you could probably tootle off to Swindon and get new bits!

FC

20. boldford

boldford Member

That's what I'm given to believe.
    I'm not going to speculate here on what could have caused the problem with the tubeplate but will agree with you that constant thermal cycling is more damaging than being in-steam for longer periods. I might remind readers that during its present overhaul 2857 has had a brand new firebox tubeplate fitted. http://www.2857.org.uk/2857_28xx_news_2007.html