If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6100 Royal Scot..Progress 2010/2011/2012

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by belle1, Mar 8, 2010.

1. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

As a posted in the original thread:-

After 950 posts this thread has now been locked. I will start a new thread.

Again this thread has degenerated into insults and there is probably about 10% of the thread already in the recycle bin.

Please use this new thread to discuss 6100 further in a more sensible and adult manner.

I will leave this here for now, there is some that info that is informative amongst the posts.

Thanks, Neil.

2. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Perhaps it is just as well that the initiator of the original thread on 6100 didn't commit his or her self as to which year the January would be in for 6100s test running.

3. 69621

69621 New Member

Thanks for that Neil. I know i have been quite vocal in the last thread, but i, like a lot of others i am sure, want to know where all of OUR lottery money has been spent, and why it appears to have not been spent wisely.

4. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    But in all honesty do you expect a reply to that sort of question on this forum... I for one feel that you can protest for ever but you are asking the question in the wrong place....

5. stan the man

stan the man Member

In many peoples eyes spending lottery money in restoring environmentally unfriendly steam engines is money spent unwisely, we should just be thankful lottery money does come our way.

lets hope it stays that way and other long unsteamed engines get to live again because of lottery funding.

I wonder if 6100 will ever return to Bressingham? I guess costs and lack of revenue whilst there would rule this out.

Jim s

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I find the term "OUR lottery money" quite amusing. Once you've parted with your money it ain't yours any more. Nobody is forced to buy lottery tickets nor is it a legal requirement, unlike tax, and I seriously wonder how many people buy lottery tickets with a view to helping good causes rather than hoping to win the jackpot.

7. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Just how many people buy lottery tickets I wonder? I'd rather throw my money directly at the cause of my choice thanks, as the chances of winning are infinitesimally small.

8. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    Well well, 7 posts into a "new thread" about 6100 and it's already descending into a discussion about the rights and wrongs of the Lottery. So, just before I put on my tin hat and get me coat; can I just say that I look forward to 2012 and the thread about the Olympics. Perhaps we should start a poll now on how many pages it will reach.
    (I'm leaving the room now)

9. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    6100 is a very controversial subject. Most of the updates we get are from the monthly rags so we have nothing much to go on which fuels the supposition and speculation and the 'discussion' drifts towards the work done at Southall which is even more controversial. And if we're not arguing about progress or Southall it'll be the livery. A thread about Scotsman or Royal Scot will always descend into argument and insults.

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    You're quite right in what you've said. However, one of the side questions I was asked when making a lottery application was 'what benefit will the person who pays his pound for a lottery ticket get from your project?'
    OK, I know that this isn't about 6100!

11. 69621

69621 New Member

thats the bloody annoying thing - we have contacted the HLF on numerous occasions, and from their replies (via email) they seem to suffer from ostich syndrome.

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    You're quite right. We were asked the same question when considering a HLF grant application.

13. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The only benefit is that will ease the conscience of the person who bought the ticket as they can always say it was for a good cause, rather than moan that they didn't win for the umpteenth hundred time.

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

How about something more positive...

Lets start speculating about possible tours and routes 6100 can be running from it's London base ?

personally I'm not so sure about 6100 doing tours on the Green Train set around kent but maybe there's a more appropriate route/station in the off'ing ?

15. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I don't think she'll fit round most of Kent but then again not a lot does. The Bath & Bristol route via Salisbury will definitely be a staple. Hopefully we'll see her out of Euston on the WCML at some point and of course a run or two up Shap.

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

A run of Royal Scot on the Royal Scot would be nice.. we have the Coronation and now the Cornish Riveria ?

6100 changing to 5690, with maybe 6201 and 6233 ?? makes a very LMS livered tour :)

17. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    A tour up to Norwich with a long whistle blast as it flys through Diss. It would be an honour to Alan Bloom, a great man.

18. 69621

69621 New Member

At last!!! Something I CAN agree with on here!!!!! Tee Hee Hee! :)

I had the pleasure of meeting the great man on many occasions, and shared the footplate with him on the 2ft. He's probably turning in his grave now if he's found out about all the engines they've sold off and they way they leave the traction engines outside :-(

19. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    Isn't there a plan to run it past one of the Bressingham Trustees (Deceased) houses, on the London - Cambridge line, so that the ashes of the gentleman in question can be put in the firebox at this point?

20. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    Yeah, I heard that when it's first main line run was due to be coming up through Cambridge last February.