If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6201 Princess Elizabeth

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Linesider, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

I notice that after tomorrow's RTC trip over Shap and the S&C, Lizzie has no further work booked for this year. With her 7 year ticket expiring in March next year, does anyone know what the plans are for her in the short to medium term?

2. Polisher

Polisher New Member

Listening to the gossip at Crewe Heritage Centre today, tomorrow may well be the last ever mainline trip for the loco. Some of the comitee that run the loco have apparently voted to press the self destruct button.

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Whatever that means !! Lets just hope it IS gossip.

4. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager
    A little while ago, I did try to inform the board that the outlook for the PELS was not promising. But in the usual way I got slagged off for it. Being in the position of 'I told you so' is not a comfortable one.

5. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    So what your saying is if it is true what you heard is that 6201 will either become a static exhibit or be put into the queue of locomotives waiting for it's next overhaul until the committee of 6201 sort something out???

6. chessie

chessie Member

It is a shame that such a fine loco as 6201's future is uncertain. I keep on about thin end of the wedge, but it does make me wonder if the current economic climate (the'worst for 60 years' according to the chancellor) is going to see other locos sidelined prematurely.

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Im probably not going to be popular for saying this, but i dont think the 6201 lads have done as much as they could to bring funds in.

We all know they have turned down work in the past as being too far away or too much of a strain on the support crew, this is a valid and understandable point and we appreciate what they do, but is it right to plead poverty when the offer of work/money was there ?, granted the difference in funds would probably be minimal but it's better than nothing, just strikes me hat if your serious about keeping your engine running then sometimes you need to take what you can get.

That said the bridge bash and Shap failure would blow a hole in the finances of any loco owning group.

8. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    Maybe a change of livery might put a few pennys in the bank

Anyone for a green Princess to go with a Green Scot

9. Neville Philpott

Neville Philpott New Member

Did Princess Elizabeth ever run in Brunswick Green, i think it would be a great idea.

I was slightly dissapointed that PMR was turned out in Red.

SG will prove prove to be a major attraction i'm sure, it's just a pity that the economic climate is so unfavourable

at the present time.

10. 60017

Someone 'overheard' something and the the whole outlook is doom and gloom . I prefer to wait until the real facts are known without speculating and issuing ' I told you so's.'
    ](*,)

11. 60017

Neville, I agree; 'Lizzie' in green would look awesome ! Start a campaign !

12. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    I cannot speak for the 6201 people as I hve no connection, but from the beginning they have maintained their engine in LMS colours and resisted all suggestions to adopt BR green, in which livery the engine ran for most of her BR dars (she was black at first).

Personally I would support this stand; apart from anything else, she's their engine so they are entitled to paint her in the livery they choose. This is a point often made when a BR livery - or even a spurious one - is chosen by a group. Well, it works both ways. It isn't for non-members to start a campaign.

13. Neville Philpott

Neville Philpott New Member

As long as Princess Elizabeth is the responsibility of PELS, then of course they can decide on any colour they like.

But, and i only speculate on the future of the locomotive because i don't know anything rumour or otherwise,
    the thought of a re-paint raising capital to at least part fund a fresh overhaul seems worth considering.

Either that or a certain well known music entrepenuer will maybe step in yet again.

14. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Agreed that the owners decide the livery...but let's say the work is drying up, but promoters have made it known that there is lots of work available after a livery change and the owners refuse to carry out that livery change, then it is not really acceptable to plead poverty for the next overhaul when funds run out. As has been said you can't plead poverty if you've been offered the business but you turn it down!
    Just for the record - I have no idea if any of the above applies to 6201 - I'm just making a general point!

Keith

15. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    The only people that go on about the livery are those that stand at the lineside when you are on the train it does not matter what colour it is.

16. 60017

Hmmmmm - to fit your stereotype I better stop paying £70+ a time to travel as a passenger on railtours several times a year and perhaps give up spending a lot of my leisure time helping to restore the beasts as well.

17. 60017

I agree that an owning group are the people who should choose a livery. My 'start a campaign' comment was light - hearted; sadly text does not convey that. But, having said that, liveries will always be a matter of major interest and speculation, you can't stop it.
    Lizzie would look amazing in green - surely not a crime to suggest it ?

18. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    [quote="60017I agree that an owning group are the people who should choose a livery. My 'start a campaign' comment was light - hearted; sadly text does not convey that. But, having said that, liveries will always be a matter of major interest and speculation, you can't stop it.
    Lizzie would look amazing in green - surely not a crime to suggest it ?[/quote]

Suggest - yes; apply pressure - no! And that's what a campaign does.

To be fair, I did realise that there was an element of humour there, and perhaps I'm a little over-sensitive at 'outsiders' shoving their noses into what is a group's business. It stems from someone (on another forum) organising a poll that 2868 should return to the mainline. Having not long before having gone through the heartbreak of telling our members that, despite the time, effort and thousands of pounds spent trying to achieve this, it wasn't going to happen, the poll was not well received.

Anyway, I really hope that Lizzie comes through this and we have the pleasure of her company for many years to come; she really is a magnificent machine. But it's for her owners - and custodians for the last 45 years - to work out the solutions; I'm sure we all hope they find them.

19. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    Maybe they should take a leaf out of another princesses book

Do you think Kylie Minougue AKA The Pop Princess Would still be here to day looking the same as she did on Neighbours....I think not

No at6 all in giving 6201 a Makeover after all its only paint

20. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    So why make a fuss? Its current paint job is in good nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.