If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6233 Duchess of Sutherland

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Reading RM today and I see the 6233 will soon becoming off the main line. Once she comes off the main line which preserved railway will she go to? A good place for her would be the Bluebell and help out with their shortage of locos. I’m sure she would put in some good performance at the Bluebell and would also be a welcome addition to their fleet of locos.

2. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Probably go to its base at the Midland Railway Centre.

3. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    [Reading RM today and I see the 6233 will soon becoming off the main line. Once she comes off the main line which preserved railway will she go to? A good place for her would be the Bluebell and help out with their shortage of locos. I’m sure she would put in some good performance at the Bluebell and would also be a welcome addition to their fleet of locos.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 pm[/quote]

What a fantastic idea...... we could keep the dukedog at Llangollen then

And with the current cost of coal running a Duchess would save them a fortune.

You could even paint it green to match SAS

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I thought she was going straight in for overhaul at the end of it's mainline ticket as it was believed her condition isn't too bad ?.

As for the Bluebell, i suppose it's no coincidence 6233 has never been a line without a mainline connection.

5. would be a bit big for the bluebell wouldnt it the siimple thing to solve theier problems is to get a austerity in

6. 76079

76079 Member

I believe the boiler is already booked in at LNWR Crewe

7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

That's surprising given how full of praise the society were for the quality of work the SVR did on the boiler at it's previous overhaul and the fact that 80080 (another PRCLT loco) is currently having it's boiler done at Bridgnorth. The SVR could probably do with the extra contract work at the moment though there still appears to be staffing issues in the boiler shop looking at recent posts on the SVR forum. Maybe someone closer to Bridgnorth could give some more info on this. At least Sutherland will be back quickly and on the mainline rather than on static display which seemed a possibility not so long ago.

8. schoie

schoie New Member

The only reason that LNWRH will get the work on 6233 is because the man who overhauled the boiler last time now works there. Like wise with a lot of other boilers really

9. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

That answers that question, big loss to SVR in every sense..