If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Nigel Clark, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A brief update on ex GWR 66xx no. 6695 at Swanage:

Loco currently undergoing winter maintenance which includes attention to worn motion bushes, valve crosshead slides and spindles. Also piston & valve exam and investigation into problems with the vacuum brake system which will include a complete overhaul of the vacuum cylinder. Various other tasks also being undertaken including renewal of spring hangers and fitting of replacement springs followed by weighing (loco has had a run of broken springs in the latter part of last year). Loco now unlikely to return to traffic until April.

2. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    On taking vacuum cylinder apart, we found significant pitting in the upper part of the sidewall which has been shaving the sliding band. A new sidewall casting has been procured from the Severn Valley and this has been sent to the South Devon Railway workshops at Buckfastleigh for machining. SDR will also be refurbishing the remaining components from the original cylinder and then reassembling & testing as a complete unit. Meanwhile work continues with the other jobs at Swanage.

JohnH likes this.
  3. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    6695 finally returned to traffic yesterday at Swanage following completion of some 'mid-life' maintenance. Apart from work previously mentioned, it was found necessary to replace the complete set of coupled wheel springs with a brand new set plus spares (the order & manufacture of these took some time), further work on the motion was also required. The opportunity has also been taken to renew the cab floor including making provision for easier access to the injector water valves for routine maintenance. Hopefully the mechanical work on motion/brakes/springs will stand the engine in good stead for the forseeable future.

4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    So that was the reason this engine was in traffic yesterday and not the advertised 'Manston'! Still, it was nice to see it and the film will be up on YouTube tomorrow.

Regards

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    How long is she rostered in service for now?

6. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    I don't have any inside information, but the talk is next week will be 3 locos in steam each day, so (guessing based on what is in this week) 6695 and 80104, with A.N.Other (Manston?) as well.

Locos will be changed on each Swanage departure owing to running 6 coach trains, and only being able to run round 5.

7. swanrail

swanrail Guest

Im pretty sure its the 3 tanks in all week next week. So a week long tank engine gala at Swanage! Come down and see the railway in its busy period everyone!

6695, 80104 and 53

8. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Also a 33 and the DMU's are out every evening too I see.....something for everyone....

9. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Even more fun then...!

10. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

According to the roster shown on the home page of the Swanage Railway website 6695 and 80104 were the rostered locos. 'Manston' wasn't shown as being rostered since last weekend.

Cheers,

Paul

11. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

34070 is stopped for Washout exam and other work: valvegear exam & fettling (yes in the box) new valve rings, ashpan repairs, regulator fettling. Its been the SRs highest mileage loco for 3 years, so need a treat!

12. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

33+5 car set and the 108/121 DMU should be out on Saturday nights 30th July and 6th August - not all week - to cope with large numbers of passengers returning from Swanage's famous fireworks displays. The DMU combo will be coping alone during the rest of the week.