If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

76017 and 34105

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by green five, Mar 22, 2009.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes you are right. Here she is on the Friday with sister Wadebridge:[attachment=0:e3c39yzo]swanage ropley.JPG[/attachment:e3c39yzo]
    It seems an agreement has been reached to overhaul both 34105 and 76017. 76017 will be going into the works first. My Dad got this info from one of the volunteers cleaning 34105.

2. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Re: 73096

Well lets hope this is positive news and not speculation?? I hope a cerain name of owning the locos has come to an agreement of the MHRPS and if so there is hope for Bodmin (34016) yet!!!??? :-k

3. 73096

73096 Member

No because 34016 has a different owner!

34105 is owned by shareholders, I believe the MHR even has a small share in the loco

4. 34007

What other than the said name and all this about ownership etc of 34105??

5. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION

If my memory serves me correctly, at the last but one AGM the then Society Chairman said that 10% per cent was of Swanage was owned by the Society. However they were having difficulty tracing some 40% percent of small shareholders as nothing was in writing.

Some had moved on forgetting they owned them, some had possibly even passed on, so it was difficult trying to get another agreement although there was consideralbe will to have it restored.

Thankfully this has all been sorted out now so keep your fingers crossed folks.

Regards
    CW.

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Can't wait to see the youngest surviving member and oldest surviving member of the class running together.

7. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer

If I remember rightly, Pete Waterman encountered a similar problem when buying Britannia. The Charity Commission eventually said that if all possible effort had been made to find the missing shareholders then the purchase could go ahead.

I assume that something similar has happened with 34105.

Regards,

Dan

8. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer

Firstly it has been said a few times 34105 is likely to go in for overhaul after 76017 is done.

Secondly, where exactly have you read that Bodmin will be done?

If there is no change in the current agreement I would have thought all the locos to do with John Bunch will most likely leave in 2014. This includes 34016, 73096, 31625, 31806 & 31874. As it stands, 31806 is the last of the locos that will receive an overhaul there.

9. learningtobelost

learningtobelost New Member

This has turned into quite the interesting thread. Thanks to those that posted detailed engineering info and diagrams.

It is indeed good news to hear that 76017 is to be overhauled, having read what has been said in the comics and on various forums over the years one would be forgiven for thinking that she was back in ex-barry condition. However, having a good look over her and 34105 at the Gala it would seem that both had been stored well (with motion protected etc) and the only thing to really suffer was the paintwork… and even then a small section of the spamcan had been cleaned up to a high sheen!

All in all very positive things seem to be happening, it’s just a shame that it’s all being reported in a thread with such a somber subject.

10. 34007

I haven't said Bodmin will be done - I have merely said that this holds some hope for Bodmin possibly being overhauled in the future. As for all the other locos, I guess we will have to wait and see when 2014 comes around? I would love to see all these locos remain on the line...

11. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Like other posters the news that 76017 and 34105 are to come back into the fold is the best I have heard for a while - and certainly cheered me up after 73096 and reading about the theft of the clock. I always had a soft spot for 76017 - they are not the most loved of engines but they do a job and I remember back in the sixties members of this class hauling our 8-carriage school train from Christchurch to Brockenhurst (not very quickly mind you but we always got there!).
    Perhaps we can now look forward to hearing that some anonymous benefactor has bought up the trackbed to Itchen Abbas and donated it to the Society.

12. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer

I know I am one of those who in the past has knocked the Mid Hants for having engines just "lying fallow", that would have been great use to other lines. It is wonderful to see that 76017 and Swanage will be getting the attention they deserve. I hope this is a positive sign for the future. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be over in the corner eating considerable quantities of humble pie..... :-#

13. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Just a couple of points regarding 34105 & 76017:
    1) Please rememer that, at the moment, reports of a "deal" on these locos are speculation, although it's probably quite well-informed speculation. I wouldn't want anyone to get upset if, eventually, the deal falls through or (more likely) takes a long time to actually bring any results.

2) This thread is about 73096 and, particularly, the damage to the nearside cylinder and how it might be repaired. Both topics are interesting and worthy of debate, but are not really related, so perhaps the mods. could make a new thread and move the posts concerning 34105 & 76017?

14. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Excellent news that two of the more usefull loco's in preservation will no longer be just a length of space taking up a siding, not a rant on MHR politics, just happy to see two machines being returned to their propper purpose.

16. 34007

Certainly nicer than seeing them rusting up at Ropley sidings... Be good to see them in all their glory and I should be a part of this.... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

17. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Time heals all wounds - but not as yet the one between the MHR and JB! I'll add it to my growing wish list. Whatever the long term outcome though I hope the three ex SR moguls remain as a group together - and in BR black too. James the red engine may have done some sterling service in recent years but these fine underrated locos are rarities in preservation and it would be good to see them in an authentic livery once again alongside the larger S15s, not to mention 850.
    As I now have three improbable items on my christmas list so I might as well add the long forgotten proposal to site a turntable at Butts Junction as a fourth!

18. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Guys, (and lasses);

This is 100% percent speculation and nobody has a crystal ball either, but I would like to hear your views on what could happen to JB,s Loco,s in 2014.

Will they stay or will they go?, will he sell them or keep them?, what other Railway would buy them?, would any Railway want them?,will time heal wounds?.

As I have already said this is pure speculation.

Best regards
    Chris

19. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    id like to see one regauged to 5'3" and painted green....
    just like this..

[​IMG]

20. 73096

73096 Member