If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

800 Maeve model

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by arthur maunsell, Sep 18, 2010.

1. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    never noticed this before but this was all lit up on Mallow Co Cork station last night...seems to be made of perspex (the loco is in Cultra Museum Northen Ireland) 0001.JPG

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    I would LOVE to see her in steam one day. A magnificent looking locomotive !

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Very nice model :)

Unfortunately that will never happen John. The overhaul would be too expensive for such a highly route restricted loco.

Dunluce Castle on the other hand....

Keith

4. GHWood

GHWood Member

There was a lot of talk about that happening a few years ago. Anyone know what happened....?

5. ghost

As I understand it, someone had offered to pay for the restoration for mainline operation. After preliminary investigations, it was discovered she would need a new wheel to be cast, I think the tender is virtually scrap and there were various other problems (cylinders I seem to recall) which presumably added up to more than the benefactor was willing to pay. A bigger bill than expected, but the engine could still be restored.

Keith

6. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    I just looked that loco up. What a gem ! I really need to get over the the Belfast Museum to take a look see, maybe next year in conjunction with a 'Jazz train' or other mainline trip.

7. GHWood

GHWood Member

Thanks for that, Keith! Would be great to see it run and would be a useful go-anywhere loco for the RPSI. They also could even offer to paint it black and put a BR crest on it to pretend it was an LMS 2P and then use it on photo charters (runs for cover..... ;) )

8. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Before you visit the Belfast museum take a very strong "chill pill"

I visited the old site in 1970 and my abiding memory was of the noise of children playing as the museum was providing nothing more than a sophisticated set of climbing frames for the kids of Belfast.

When the QE2 made her one and only visit to Belfast in 2008 we made it a point to visit Cultra - I just could not believe my eyes. Nothing had changed. Kids were running all over the exhibits with gay abandon. I even have the photos now so I can prove it to myself.

Equally, some of the exhibits - oh to see them released from custody and out in the street or railscene again - but until then we do at least still have the RPSI - God Bless' em -railtouring in the old style! Must go back for some of that again too!

9. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The RPSI railtours. Stuff of legends, my head still hurts thinking about them. Just as TBF says in the old style, no pressure, relaxed atmosphere, good hospitality and Guinness at the end of the trip.

10. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate time - good that the kids were enjoying themselves, they'll be put off anything heritage if they are told to be quiet and not touch all the time.... ;-) I hate it when the NRM is too quiet, but do understand it's a balancing act between people enjoying the peace of a visit and others "expressing themselves"!

Now, where did I put that job application for Cultra...?

11. Guest

Occasional
    Anthony - Like you I prefer a museum with life - but you have to see the abuse of the exhibits at Cultra to understand what concerns me.

The exhibits are literally treated as playthings. Cotton wooling is one thing - leaving the kids to play havoc entirely another. As you rightly say, stewardship of exhibits is a balancing act, but at this particular location I - personally - feel that the pendulum has swung way too far.

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Guinness at the end of the trip? My hazy recollections of the two Irish tours I've done is of copious amounts of Liffey Water during the trip too. I recall one "ecs" run out of Belfast in the 90s that involved the miracle of the self replenishing Guinness glass. Well that's what it seemed like to my increasingly befuddled brain. Put down an empty glass and Hey Presto a full one replaced as if by magic. :party:

13. Guest

Occasional
    Ah Nigerian lager in its native territory - nothing like it!

I have only done two RPSI tours, but By God - the tales that came from them!!

Using the lower deck of the Foyle Bridge for safety during "the troubles" - a rifle at your head as you entered Londonderry whilst troops searched your camera bag, walking down to Donegal Quay with bullet holes in the wall and every approaching car making your hair stand on end.

or on the second occasion

The staff at the hotel in Galway placing glasses to catch the shower drips in the bedrooms as everyone cleaned up after a day window hanging, or the "BANG" from the square as someone embedded a Granada in a peacefully parrked car - and no-one, but no-one, batted an eyelid.

Could only be Ireland!

14. stan the man

stan the man Member

Well said Anthony.

Its good to see kids enjoying themselves at a museum, who knows they may be the next generation of restorers. I say encourage them (unless of course they are wrecking the place).

Its quite sad when some folk dont realise this and tut and moan (I guess they were never young once or indeed had there own kids!)

Stan

15. ghost

I think we need someone like you Anthony to shake the place up a bit! It would be nice to see the collection and building extended, stock properly restored and the much-heralded-but-rarely-happens display of loan stock from Downpatrick, Whitehead etc.

Keith

16. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The young lady I was seeing at the time had a grandmother living in Portrush. I convinced her that what better way could there be to get there by steam train there and spend an hour doing the family bit. It did not quite work out that as we met up with some railway friends before the tour, celebrated the night before, almost missed the train, had a liquid lunch and then got highjacked by good company on the train. I only realised that we had missed Portrush once we were on the return journey.. She blamed me, I blamed me too. The we got back to the hotel where I met up with a school friend for a night out. Funny that relationship seemed to go downhill from there, I never worked out why...

17. Weshty

Weshty New Member

Manager
    Studio Scale Models have recently released a detailed OO/21mm gauge version of the B1a-800 Class loco Maedhbh. It is a brass and nickel-silver kit with whitemetal and turned brass detailing, decals and brass plates for the three versions. See the website for further information.

800 smlc.jpg