If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

8th October RTC Royal Wessex Three Bridges-Weymouth

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by John Petley, Sep 26, 2016.

1. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Twelve days to go until this one. Still up on the RTC Website showing 70013 as motive power but no news yet of 70013 departing the GCR for a main line retun (including, one assumes, some sort of test run)

It's getting a bit close and if 70013 isn't available, options are a bit limited. The Fareham-St Denys section has some sort of gauging issue - at Hamble, I believe - so nothing else apart from a Bulleid or a Black Five is likely to be able to step in.

2. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Also has steam both ways in/out of Weymouth. The Brit has done that solo on a Bristol train but is it going to have time to go to Yeovil and back for turning off this one? Issue of Yeovil for turning covered In an earlier thread but can't remember now which one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The previous 2 were diesel hauled between Weymouth and Eastleigh on the return.

4. Paul42

A poster in another thread stated that 70013 would not be leaving the GCR until after the gala which is the same weekend as this trip,but it is not listed on the gala page of the GCR website.

5. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
  6. John Petley

I spotted this too, but also, like Paul42,had heard that 70013 would stay at the GCR until after the gala. All somewhat confusing, but given how close we're getting to 8th October, we will know the truth one way or other before too long.

In 2012, when steam was completely banned from the Fareham-St Denys section, the corresponding train ran along a very convoluted route. A diesel hauled the stock eastbound along the west coast line, round the Cliftonville curve and picking up at Haywards Heath and Three Bridges. Steam, in the shape of 34067, came on some where in the London area and then it took the Windsor lines and followed the LSWR main line to Weymouth. This could be a fall-back if Ollie isn't ready by Saturday week as avoiding Hamble would allow a less gauge-friendly engine to work the train, but it would result in a much longer day out - or less time in Weymouth. (or perhaps both)

7. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

If the Hamble line cannot be used then the obvious alternative is the Botley Line, however this would result in a run round at Eastleigh, its a shame the triangle cannot be used (or could it) to turn an engine to allow onward running towards Weymouth via Southampton?

Question - why in Beechings cuts did the Botley and Hamble lines survive when they are only a couple of miles from each other in parallel west to east?

8. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    When they hit the SW main line they point in opposite directions. Both gave back-up avoiding routes to Pompey, perhaps supportive of military need. Whether the latter had any relevance to Beeching's deliberations I don't know but it could be a reason.

9. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Just looked at RTC website. It has been moved to November 12.

10. Paul42

I might book on it, never done the Hamble line. Could not do the 8th, since booked on another trip.

11. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

There is no triangle at Eastleigh, the turning facility your probably thinking of is the loop into and out of the diesel depot which runs around Eastleigh works. If you had to run round a train, I don't think it would be viable due to the time that would be required for the turning move. The stock would have to sit in one of the platforms which probably wouldn't be practical due to blocking other trains etc. Unfortunately the only real solution is to top and tail.

12. John Petley

The tour has been postponed until 12th November presumably so that a gauge-friendly engine (i.e., 70013) can work it, so thankfully all the convoluted scenarios for alternative routes will not be needed. My guess (which isn't quite what the page on the RTC website says) is steam all the way from Three Bridges to Weymouth outward via Hamble and Bournmouth but with a diesel on the back. The diesel will then tow the train back to Eastleigh and the train will then reverse direction, with steam leading via Botley and Worthing. Of course, it would be possible if the return departure was put back by an hour and the load restricted to send Ollie up to Yeovil for turning and servicing so that it could work all the way back via the same route as outward and not include a diesel at all, but I wouldn't think this is likely (If I'm wrong and it is going to be 100% steam, please let me know, someone, for I would then seriously consider travelling on it)

13. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    @Paul42 was right.
    In Rail Mail today:
    Final preparations are now being made for the Autumn Gala, from Thursday, 6th to Sunday 9th October. The startling development is that we now aim to have TEN locos in steam over the Saturday and Sunday (nine on each day), with the news that no 70013 Oliver Cromwell will now be another of our stars for the event.