If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A Fantasy railtour for 2016 - or could it really happen?

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by John Petley, Dec 23, 2014.

1. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looking at the updated RTC tours list for 2015, I wondered if this was the complete list or whether a couple of one-offs would be added later to commemorate special anniversaires like the Seaford specials this year.

So I then tried to work out if any lines had opened in 1840, 1865 or 1890 that might justify an anniversary special. The Mid Hants 150 will be marked by something on the railway. Whether there will be a main line trip as part of the celebrations we will find out. I can't see the 175th anniversary of the opening of the Brighton-Shoreham line (opened 1840) generating much excitement. A few steam trains normally run over that bit of line anyway (well, at least from Hove onwards) each year and it's not that exciting scenically or gradient-wise,

But, I thought, looking ahead to 2016, this will see the 175th anniversary of the opening of the London-Brighton main line throughout. At this point, my imagination ran into overdrive. How about marking this with a crack at the record for the fastest London-Brighton run by steam?

It stands at 48 minues 41 second - an average speed of 63.4 mph. The loco involved was a B4 4-4-0, No. 70 Holyrood. The date was 26th July 1903. The top speed was 90mph at Horley. Could it be beaten?

Well, what are the challenges to be overcome?

Firstly, the intensive use of the Brighton Main Line. To be in with a chance, the run would have to take place probably early in the morning on a bank holiday monday and would require the same co-operation from Southern and First Capital Connect (or whatever Thameslink calls itself these days) as Vintage Trains managed with First Great Western when it ran the Bristolian, Cheltenham Flier and One Zulu Forty Eight.

Secondly, the train would either have to run from London Bridge or from the Brighton Line platforms from Victoria as opposed to the usual Platform 2. There would be no chance of beating Holyrood's record if the train had to run from the LCDR platforms via the convoluted and restricted route needed to reach Clapham Junction.

Thirdly, it would require a special derogation to run at 75mph +. Even allowing for the relatively gentle gradients south of East Croydon, I can't imagine it being possible to make it to Brighton in under 50 minutes with a top speed of 75mph or even 78mph. This would mean an air-braked loco and probably a Hosking engine as hardly anyone else has deep enough pockets! 34046 Braunton would be the ideal loco as it was shedded at Brighton during its BR career.

Fourthly, it would ideally need to be turned into a full day out. Perhaps after running to Brighton, the loco could be turned on the Brighton-Preston Park-Hove-Brighton triangle and then run to Salisbury and back as this is an attractive destination with a turning triangle. (then conclude with a fast run back from Brighton to London) This would mean that there would be an opporunity to serve up a meal for diners (not really possible in a run that would only last 50 minutes)

Fifthly, this special train would not come cheap. Obviously, the train would have to be shorter than usual to run fast enough to beat the record (and to lift it up Grosvenor Bank out of Victoria - after all, no diesel shoving on a one-off trip like this!)

So then, do we have the makings of "Railtour of the year, 2016"or will this flight of fancy of mine remain a fantasy tour? Could someone bring it off? Also, ifthey do, would I be on my own or does it appeal to anyone else?

OldGit likes this.
  2. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

This is mainly to refresh this thread before it drops off the first page of What's Going on, as I think it does deserve some discussion. Personally I'm very dubious of the prospect of a derogation from 75 mph and of going for any sort of record, but a London to Brighton run by steam, with something to make it special to celebrate the anniversary, seems worth trying. The ideal loco would of course be the Bluebell's atlantic, which certainly ought to be operational by then, but someone would need to sponsor the additional gubbins for running on the main line.

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    London to Brighton. I've done Brighton to London non stop with steam in 58½ minutes but I think that London to Brighton may be more problematic unless you attach a diesel to the rear and that means you will need a pretty short train to access the platforms at Brighton. So Victoria to Preston Park may be the best you will get (as on Feb 14 next, possibly).

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I'd love to do it in the NRM's 2-BIL but I've more chance of becoming Pope than riding that on the main line. How about 35028? Oodles of power there.

5. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

white smoke from me

Spamcan81 likes this.
  6. Big Al

Without knowing, I would guess that the path is simply not there. Having said that you could try to get something out immediately in front of the 6 or 36 min past each hour from Victoria and run down right ahead of it in 50 min. These services call at Clapham Junction and East Croydon giving steam time to get away on the slow part.

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Little chance with London Bridge it's being rebuilt and they are predicting years of chaos, with the only advice mailed to passengers is "find another route".

Why not Waterloo ?

8. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    2016 also marks 90 years since the naming of the ACE, so perhaps an opportunity for fate to finally smile on a two Bulleid trip to Exeter and back in a day in the absence of a more prototypical N15? In the absence of London Bridge 180, there's Taff Vale Railway 180 (trip to Aberdare/Merthyr anyone?). Take your pick...

9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Why run an LBSCR 150 tour out of an LSWR terminus?

10. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Going back to the original suggestion, but checking the historical maps, I note that the route completed in 1841 was the one from London Bridge. So any anniversary special ought to run from there, if the reconstruction works have by then reached a state for that to be possible. Victoria didn't open until 1860 (so we've missed the 150th anniversary of that) and the temporary Pimlico terminus only in 1858.

11. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

By the time the ex LBSCR side reopens on the 5th January 2015 there will be 6 rebuilt platforms that can take 12 coach trains. The other 2 terminus platforms are closing and will be replaced by through platforms.
    The trackwork and signalling from outside London Bridge is being replaced so there will still be works carrried out until 2018. It might be possible to run a special on a weekend, if there is one with no engineering works taking place?

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Why not, you know on the day it'll end up as a pair of Black 5's anyway. :)

KentYeti and Spamcan81 like this.
  13. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    According to the Thameslink Programme website the redevelopment of London Bridge is not due to be completed until 2018 and is causing quite a bit of disruption and diversions given that SouthEastern, Southern and Thameslink have use of the station so would be unlikely to get a path from there. (when was steam last at London Bridge?).

I would be in favour of some kind of celebration, maybe involving Haywards Heath station (without trying to be selfish) as it was the original terminus of the line from July 1841 until September 1841 when the line to Brighton was finished but can't see anything happening there given it has a regular steam presence anyway whereas steam into/out of Brighton is not as frequent.

14. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Thameslink services are currently being diverted and do not go through London Bridge. A special would use the terminus platforms so would only have to fit around Southern services.

15. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    A Fantasy railtour for 2016 - or could it really happen?

Anything from the WCRC steam stable through York count?

KentYeti and Spamcan81 like this.
  16. Big Al

That's another pin in your Avatar on the mess room wall at Carnforth...

17. Steam gets in your eyes

Steam gets in your eyes New Member

How about a 4 corners of Britain tour taking in Lowestoft (East), Penzance (South), Arsaig (west) and Thurso (North)
    I know the 'Great Britain' almost does it now if you also book one of the 'Great Eastern' trips, but it would be quite fun to do them all in one go

18. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    How about Railmotor 93 on shuttles from HH to Ardingly? OK, the Ardingly line opened in 1883 so wouldn't be celebrating an anniversary but it would still be quite fun.

19. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Would be a bigger show than the 150th celebrations, where a load of cold engines were shoved down one of the platforms at Brighton going by the pictures in an old BN I picked up once at Horsted carriage shop. Although it did lead to this light engine move (not my video), certainly not many of them are "dead in tow" as it pulls out...

I think it's a grand idea. I've often wondered whether there would be a market for summer Sunday scheduled steam between London and Brighton, two trips per day. It always seems like something which is eminently do-able.

20. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Which again brings me to when the last steam working at London Bridge was. If a special did get permission to use the Southern Platforms, the tour/s could certainly fill out due to rare steam mileage (as the Seaford trips did) between London Bridge and East Croydon.