If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

All aboard the Lynton & Barnstaple

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Old Kent Biker, May 19, 2011.

1. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The L&BR Trust recently announced the next phase of the project to reopen more of this iconic line in North Devon, following the past few years consolidation at Woody Bay.

Starting with an appeal, "All Aboard!" the Trust has begun the process for obtaining a Transport and Works Act Order - necessary before the line can cross any public highways such as at Killington Lane. The process, and the reconstruction work which will follow, won't be cheap, and won't be quick, but if you would like further details of what is planned, and how you might be able to help, please visit the appeal page on the L&B website: http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/All_Aboard

2. ellenbee pioneer

ellenbee pioneer New Member

Really loved the bit about "....unlike our predecessors, we cannot just turn up and start laying track..."
    Now who does that refer to? The original company who had to acquire an Act of Parliament, or the lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust/Company? If the latter, then surely Brom Bromidge, who I note is the contact for funding, as a Company director during the time the current line was planned and completed, knows just how difficult it was to produce that line you see today. I suspect the person who put out the promotion was not actively involved in launching today's railway.

Bit vague, isn't it? Doesn't really deal in specifics, reminds me of Sir Bob Geldof's famous quote, "....don't keep asking questions..... just send the ****ing money!

Or am I just being cynical?!

3. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Yes, perhaps a little! :) Although there were numerous planning and legal hurdles before operations could start at Woody Bay, it was "relatively" easy to just "turn up and lay track", there (as was in fact done when the Association first aqcuired Cricket Field Lane, albeit temporarily), as the first stretch was all on private land, without crossing any public roads, but the complexities are multiplied as soon as a new bridge (which it will need to be - the original was effectively destroyed) is needed to cross public roads.

The appeal is, perhaps a little vague, but much detailed work has already been undertaken, (one member is currently building a model of the new bridge, based on the detailed plans for that) and much more is needed.

Road+and+fences.jpg
    "Killington Lane Bridge, 2013", model (under construction) by Tony Peart ​

4. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Latest funding plan.

As was raised at the AGM by an honourable Gentleman and I raised it on one of the threads on here before that,on Friday I think.

You cannot ask people to fill a pot of unknown volume, for a cause of unknown detail.

It just does not focus attention at anything , its no different to focusing at raising £30M from the members.

The AGM tells us this if nothing else. 270 people indicated their commitment either by being there or by sending a proxy vote, that means 200 were not there, those votes may or may not be substantiated.Not relevant.

That means the major part of this fund has to come from those people 270 of them , unless there is a very rich one , you will be lucky to raise an average of £ 50.00 per head. On the basis that at least 20 I know in the room will contribute nothing.

Your maths is all wrong , when it comes to raising in excess of £ 20 K maybe certainly the sorts of numbers being quoted, to build a bridge or start and acheive a TWA O.

I don't want to make the matches wet but come on.

5. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Such a worthy cause!

6. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Nobody has ever asked the members for £30 Million, in fact nobody has ever asked anybody for £30 Million - this figure was just offered as a projection of the total cost of the reinstatement of the railway from Wistlandpound to Lynton, plus restored and new coaches, replicated locomotives, etc. etc. (at the prevailing prices of the time)

It was also never intended as an "all-in-one" project, as some have assumed, but to be completed over several stages. Two of which have already seen substantial progress.

It's not my maths (and there is very little maths there!) although your assumptions here are somewhat awry. The funding will not come just from the 270 people (and proxies) at the AGM, but, in time from others including many currently outside the organisation.

Have patience, my friend, Rome wasn't built in a day! The L&B Trust and CIC are both in this for the long game, as well as managing the present operations.

7. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Chance for you to get your cheque book out then spud and take part....

8. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Thanks Martyn for your devine guidance, from the inner workings of the L&B .

I think you miss my point, to be honest the leaflet, asks for people to send in money without saying what specific it is actually funding, the amount it might be wanting to raise if more than say £20k needs to be stated..

I have as much patients as it takes, but so far I have waited about 4 years to find out what the funding strategy might be, let alone see it operate, I feel sure it will be" interesting when we all get to hear",

you mean there is more than just the leaflet !!, and "external funders " this could be interesting all you readers hold in there .

Thanks TheEngineer, I will stick to the funding streams I have always worked with, they have always wanted a fixed plan and price .

That is how most businesses work

9. ellenbee pioneer

ellenbee pioneer New Member

You don't sound too convincing Martyn... Is this something you believe fervently in, or are you just following the party line, even you concede it's light on the detail. As Brom Bromidge was won't to say, "The Devil Is In The Detail!"

I smell brimstone....

10. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Andy, I have never professed any divinity, nor would I, and I have no more access to the "inner workings of the L&B" than you do! :)

There is a little more information than in the brochure on the website (see link in post #1), and I feel sure that more will be forthcoming in due course.

The point is though, that I want it to happen (not that my mere wanting will make much difference, in all probability) whereas you often seem not to want it to. So be it, but I'm sure that the L&B, in some form or another, will be around for far longer than either of us.

11. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Yes, The devil IS in the detail, and I am not privy to any of that as yet, although I do have confidence that all (or at least more) will become clearer in time.

As I have said before, I support the idea of what I would call "The Greater L&B Project" - one that could provide a renewed railway, a viable, sustainable, community-based facility, local employment and a renowned tourist attraction, in an area that is in great need of as much wealth-generation as it can get. The organisations I support - The L&BR Trust, the L&B CIC and EA - seem to me, collectively, to be the best chance there is of achieving something worthwhile.

I know it is all fraught with pitfalls and difficulties, I have no illusions as to how difficult it will be, but if we don't persevere, it will never happen...

Anyway, I'm off to prepare for a weekend on the Welsh Highland Railway, in an original (if somewhat modified) L&B coach, hauled by a (replica) L&B Manning Wardle locomotive. They said that would never happen either...

12. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    I may be being thick, but I've read this post several times now and I haven't got a clue what you're on about.

13. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    And in a similar manner I do not understand much of what you write about on the FR/WHR forum and email group.

Chris

14. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    This is now the third thread dedicated to the L&B and/or EA, all of which have descended into mud slinging competitions between the two sides. This thread has only been open a day or so and has already gone the same way. Is it not possible for for everyone to grow up a bit? OK, so you don't like each other, we got that message several months ago. This thread is clearly to do with fundraising for the L&B faction, so can't the EA guys just let them get on with it? If you want to slag off the L&B folk, then do it on you own thread.

Right now, neither of you are likely to get a penny of my hard earned brass until you can demonstrate that you have an ounce of common sense and courtesy between the lot of you. These threads are absolutley the worse sort of PR you could wish for. I should think I am not alone in that view either.

15. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor

No maybe you have not got a clue , I will try and demonstrate how the numbers are estimated . when deviding down apply the 20 /80 rule so 2000 members of which 20% take an interest that makes 400 ish then apply the rule again those who actually contribute in effort or finance 20% of 400= 80 people those are the ones who can make it happen what ever it is as a cross section some might put in a 100 qid some might put in 10 thousand, apply the 80 / 20 rule again and you will have your maximum yeild 80 % put in £100 = £6400 + 16 x 10.000 = 160,000 + 6400 = £ 172400 that is about the maximum gross yeild that is possible from a member driven organisation of this size. you want £1 million you need to look elsewhere. ( In our case the initial division seems to come out at not 400 but 270, those being the ones who showed an interest , that is substantially lower and means the end result will be further reduced)

A plan that might work and might also be affordable, that is what those funders of the final division are looking for once they fund a few from outside will join them, possibly boosting the first reserve by 50% doubtfull it will be greater than that..

Perhaps you dont understand limitations of systems Andrew ?? If you take one person in who contributes over 25% of the fund raised they start to take control of the overall objective .This situation already exists and that in turn starts to unbalance the rule out of favour making it more difficult to raise the base fund.

The engineer with numbers, you can argue the toss but it will come back to somewhere near what I predict. Maybe it sounds like a load of old coblers, but someone has to estimate, and to do that we have rules a bit like taper on columns and spacing in fifths , what it demonstrates is there is a limit and the limit hits its ceiling too far from the objective.

I am not inclined to disagree Sheff but forums are what they are, everyone gets a chance to post, you may not be alone as you say, but only those who are committed to this project will stay out the ride and invest their hard earned cash in what they see as proven plan or design.

16. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    I think if you're looking to attract supporters and / or investment, there are two important things you should consider:

1. Stop bitching about each other in public.
    2. Tell us what your plans are. In plain English.

This should be about rebuilding a railway, not trying to score points off each other.

17. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Well said. I find The Engineer's posts very difficult read, as if English isn't his first language, and constantly (from what I can understand) undermines the L&B Trust. The position from EA seems to be that there is only one truth and it's their version that counts. It would be nice to just read the facts rather than constantly having one persons spin on them.

18. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Fair shout I admire your positive attitude, over to you then to make it happen, everything is hunky dory, big plans in the offing.

I will post no more on this thread, and only on the other EA thread if there is some new news worth posting.

I deal with reality everyday, companies going down, have done for many years. We tried to reopen a piece of the L&B on a shoe string. operating in reality could be a problem in some peoples eyes,if I am involved and being in the real world.

Thank you All for your time .

19. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    What a curious post. I haven't expressed any interest in whether I actually want to see the L&B rebuilt or not. I'd just like your posts to be more coherent and fair, but perhaps that's asking too much!

20. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Hopefully now things will go a little better on this thread...