If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Armley Mills Industrial Museum, Leeds

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Anthony Coulls, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

There's a name you don't often see here...

I am professionally involved with the team at Armley now, and we would like to canvas interest in creation of a working group to practically assist in the care, maintenance and restoration of the important collection of rail and industrial relics on site.

I do not wish to go over the past, how things have got to where they are now, and neither is this a challenge to any of the existing partnerships or loans that Leeds Museum have built up.

This is a golden opportunity to make the most of the collection on site and take it forward in a positive and practical way, beginning with the clearing of the undergrowth around the outside collection items and assessment of future projects.

Some here I know have already expressed an interest to the museum, but I have now been asked to see how many folks would be willing to give some time to assisting, either on weekdays or weekends - and we will be in touch once we have an idea of numbers in perhaps a couple of weeks.

Many thanks
    Anthony

2. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This sounds like a very positive development. Shame I'm now living 200 miles away.

Richard

3. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

A positive development indeed. The collection couldn't be in better hands, and it will be very interesting to see what happens with the likes of 'Hodbarrow' and "the model" in the coming months and years.

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

5. Anthony Coulls

Just to set the record straight - this isn't a takeover by NRM, I am only involved on an advisory (and bramblebashing) level. Administration, ownership etc remains in the hands of Leeds Museums and thanks to all who have so far responded.

6. Anthony Coulls

A month on and there have been about 8-9 positive responses, thank you. I've passed details on to Nina Baptiste, Acting Curator at Armley, and you'll be hearing from her about the launch soon. We had a working day there today, with three NRM staff and a dozen Leeds Museums staff clearing the undergrowth around the objects in the storage yard. Things are happening.

7. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Like Richard If I was still up in Leeds I'd be there. Great to hear things going forward.

Duncan

8. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Lived down the road from there for a year whilst at University, would have loved the chance to volunteer there, good luck with the venture

9. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Pardon me for Bumping an old thread, but how are things there now?

10. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Anthony - I don't know if this is any help, but my brother was involved with a Young Curator project at Leeds Museum, they've done 2 exhibits there so far. His personal interest is in the ancients but I was wondering if you wanted me to ask him about contact details for who runs it if you want to do something similar?

11. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

Slightly off topic, but what's the plans for the Broad Gauge (?) Wheelsets at the mills? And is the location of the frames known? Pictorial evidence seems to suggest that the frames also arrived at the mills, but last time I went a couple of years ago the staff kindly took me to see the wheelsets, there was no sign of the frames. Has anyone ever measured them to ascertain if they are indeed still broadgauge, or were they regauged at some point in their life (they looked a bit closer to Standard gauge when I saw them, but that may have just been down to the way they were stored, sadly I didn't have a tapemeasure to check)?

12. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Are you referring to this: The Wolverhampton Railway Gazette
    Don't think it was ever broad gauge ....

13. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

I'm sure a fair few articles suggest it was, like this one for example...
    GWR 2807 Articles

Regardless of the gauge however, what's the plans for it and where's the frames and motion at the moment as only the wheels were apparent last time I visited?

14. Anthony Coulls

Thanks for the renewed interest. There's been a collections review and I would expect some announcements and progress soon.

There have been a few issues over the administration of the volunteer scheme and again, we hope that this is nearly sorted. Why not join us?

As for the OWW loco, the frames and motion are in the same store as the wheels, and there are plans to re-erect them in the reasonably near future given sufficient resources. As far as I am aware, it was never a broad gauge loco and the EB Wilson works list has it down as being standard gauge when built.

15. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

I stand corrected then, certainly the impression that was given from a few quarters was that the wheels were infact broadgauge, which if it was listed as Standard Gauge as built then this is infact not the case.

I'm glad the frames and motion are still in the same store and that at some point they will be reassembled P3290963.JPG P3290964.JPG , I must have missed them on my visit.

16. Anthony Coulls

Yes, the frames and motion were behind you when you took those pics and the cylinders to the right.

17. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Any progress on this, or are the bits still in store?

18. Anthony Coulls

Yes, they've been on display in one piece since last July I'm pleased to say

19. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Good news - I'll make sure to drop in and have a look next time I'm passing.