If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Austria] Steyrtalbahn

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Sir Nigel Gresley, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    This 760mm gauge line runs three return trips on Saturdays and Sundays in the summer, on part of the former ÖBB line from Garsten to Klaus, which was 100% steam when it was closed in 1982, following a landslide two years earlier (just an excuse!). The preserved line reopened in 1985, and now runs from Steyr Lokalbahnhof (not the mainline one) to Grünberg, where the Heizhaus (shed) is situated.

Current motive power is ex-ÖBB 298.102, but 498.04 was steamed for the first time in July, having been plinthed since 1973. A Romanian forestry loco was also in steam on the day of my visit. ex-ÖBB 298.52 is also available, and 298.53 (both former residents) is in bits, awaiting restoration.

STEYRTAL-MUSEUMSBAHN / Österreichische Gesellschaft für Eisenbahngeschichte

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Great phots! Just back from IGE 175 Austria trip. 77.28 Linz - Steyr + back(thru' rare freight lines)

3 charters on Steyr line on 24 Aug : 298.102 / 298.106 / 764 xxx (Resita) worked,catching each other up at intermediate stations

3 locos in steam all lined up at Steyr + Grunberg - ACE

ps visited in 1971 incl a cabride Garsten - Klaus on the freight. The present set up is very good +well worth a visit

3. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What a splendid line. Foolishly, I missed out on it during its OBB years, and when it closed in the early 80s, I kicked myself. When I visited Austria in 1995, I was eager to remedy, at least partially, my mistake. I was not disappointed then, but these photos have reminded me that it is time to go again!

4. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I visited the Steyrtalbahn on January 2nd this year during a Great Rail Journeys Winter Steam holiday, there are a few photos here - Mick Rogers Photography | New Year 2012 Steam
    I thought that it was a very picturesque line and I'm glad to hear that they're making progress in restoring their other locomotives.
    As well as a steam hauled trip from Rottweil to Hausach in Germany, we also rode the Ampflwang branch behind 77.28 on New Year's Day, travelling from Linz on the main line. Now, if the Austrians and others can still run a full rail service on January 1st, why don't we do it in the UK any more?