If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

AVIEMORE & INVERNESS 30th June 2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by acorb, Jun 4, 2012.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Only a few weeks to go until this one and 60009 has still to turn a wheel post overhaul, so must admit i'm getting a bit twitchy. John Cameron however has assured SRPS she will be ready, but previously mentioned super sub 'The Great Marquess' appears to be commited to the Jacobite for the time being. After the disappointment of last weekend i'm hoping for slightly more scottish weather over the next few weeks whatever the steam traction turns out to be!

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Three of us are booked on this, so there'll be a fair bit of disappointment if this one doesn't take off. However if JC, who should know the status of his own locomotives, says it'll be ready, then who am I to disagree? I'm personally more worried that this one will turn out to be just another statistic in what is already turning out to be a poor month considering the number of Notwork Fail-induced cancellations.

3. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    From the SRPS website: "Please note that unfortunately 60009 Union of South Africa is not available to haul this train. Arrangements are in hand for another notable steam locomotive to haul the train. Further details should be available shortly."

So, guess the locomotive time... 61994 as previously thought?

4. 45407&44871

45407&44871 Guest

doubt repairs will be done intime, the only locos in near distance is Rileys engines, next nearest would be carnforth?

matt

5. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

10 days after the Olympic Torch job, so maybe 46115 will be a possibility?

6. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I was thinking that as second choice after 61994. To be honest, I don't care, as long as this trip runs steam-hauled. I wouldn't say no if it were diesel hauled, but I'd expect a price reduction.

7. acorb

61994 is under repairs itself. I'm afraid I have had my fears about number 9 all along with this trip. My money would be on 46115 as well, it has nothing between the York trip and the start of the Scarboroughs. It is just who is willing to cover the cost of bringing it up the east coast to Edinburgh. Have done the Highland behind a diesel, no interest unless it is steam i'm afraid, but we now have accomodation and travel booked from Mid Wales.

Other option 60007 maybe?

8. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    60007 is booked to run on NYMR over the summer. With their lack of locos at present, they can't let it go sadly. I was thinking about booking on this trip, but was holding off until a loco is confirmed. As much as I'd like to do it, booking 2 nights accommodation and travel, as well as the tour, soon adds up to over £200, and isn't worth the risk sadly.

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    The more I think about it, the more it seems as though it'll be 46115 (I won't be complaining, as I've only had one run behind it). There will be the issue of getting it up to Scotland, but remember, WCRC took it south for the one-off Dorset Coast Express run on 9 July 2010, so this sort of positioning move has been done before. However, we won't know until the end of this coming week. It's getting a bit close for comfort! I too have accommodation booked in Perth, so will have to make the best of it.

10. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

60009 would have had to move from Crewe if it had made it in time anyway.

11. acorb

Very good point. Could this mean a Crewe pool loco using the same planned path? Although my money would still be on 46115, a very acceptable replacement. I too have only had one run behind it and it set a new record for a 11 coach load over Shap that day!

12. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

The "Crewe pool" doesn't come together until the summer holiday trains start in July. As pointed out above, moving a loco from Carnforth will be slightly less bother than sending No 9 from Crewe.

13. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

46233 and 70013 are on trips on the 30th, for Vintage Trains and RTC respectively, while 45305 is back at Loughborough.

14. Northern Union

Northern Union New Member Account Suspended

Not shaping up to the a vintage year by the looks of it. There seem to be a disproprtionaly high number of locos with over running maintenance or experiencing problems. This is affecting tours from scotland to the south coast. This must be a real challenge for the tour operators, owners and TOCs. A fundamental problem on a number of these trips is the additional cost of accommodation - all booked in good faith. Lack of steam haulage seems a risk and may induce a backlash. Rock and a hard place. Or are we going to have very hectic LE activities?

15. acorb

It is the risk of booking a loco before it has run post overhaul. I've yet to see an occaision when this risk has actually paid off but tour operators keep doing it! In this case though, as has been pointed out, a light engine movement was always going to be needed so it really doesn't matter what pulls it. As an aside, a diesel is required for the reversal to Perth. This will probably be a West Coast one, so a light engine movement is also needed here. This could also bring the steam loco up to save an extra path. I really don't care what hauls this, so long as it is steam and does not require box assistance (I've already had my fill of type 3 & 4 haulage in Scotland courtesy of Network Rail last month-I definitely still prefer the noise of GWR castles). In fact I think my better half is more disappointed it's not number 9 as it is her favourite loco (being Pretoria born!). Anyhow, I suspect SRPS have had a Plan B for some time, there is still plenty of time. Rather they make the decision now and seek a replacement than try and rush number 9 and for her to try and take on the highland mainline untested and need diesel insurance.

Speculative loco suggestion number 3 - Galatea?!! ;)

16. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Make it something really special - double head it with Morayshire!

17. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

From the SRPS website "Please note that 46115 Scots Guardsman will now haul this train as the major overhaul of 60009 Union of South Africa is behind schedule."

18. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Ah, good. An LMS locomotive on an ostensibly LMS route with a Scottish name in Scotland. What more could you want? I'm glad the situation's resolved itself, and am really looking forward to it.

19. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That's good news. What's the load expected to be? She made light work of 7 over the Highland line returning with GBV.

Let's hope she remains reliable. WCRC are going through a bit of a bad patch at the moment (48151, 44932...)

20. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Much though I love the A4s, this definitely has authenticity going for it. I'm glad I booked a seat, and really look forward to this trip.