If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Avonside 0-6-0 'Robert'

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Thompson1706, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This loco has recently been purchased for preservation after spending close on 40 years in a scrapyard at Chequerbent.I can remember looking at it in 1970 & it was pretty rough then !
    Anyway, does anybody have any info on who's bought it or where it's moving to ?

Bob.

2. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack the topic straight away, but this raises another interesting question. Are there ANY other steam engines still in scrapyards waiting to be "found"? I remember two being preserved only a couple of years ago.

3. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Steam Railway said there still four (three?) Barclay tanks in on yard somewhere...

4. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Four AB 0-4-0ST at Thos Muir in Kirkcaldy. You can see them from the train.

Hanson have a 3ft gauge De Winton dumped at Penmaenmawr. Last industrial steam loco in the uk?

Probably more if you look through the IRS 14EL handbook.

5. MEJ

MEJ New Member

I would be interested to know who has "saved" this no-hoper! It will be an expensive project to see through, but like so many other "impossible" projects undertaken over the years, I look forward to being proved wrong and see it steam!

Come on, own up, whos got it!?! :-k

6. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Hanson donated it (or what's left of it) to the Penrhyn Railway Heritage Trust a few years ago. Not that this means it's likely to be leaving Penmaenmawr - the RAF had a look at lifting it with out with a Chinook but decided it was too risky.

7. sam w

sam w New Member

Hanson donated it (or what's left of it) to the Penrhyn Railway Heritage Trust a few years ago. Not that this means it's likely to be leaving Penmaenmawr - the RAF had a look at lifting it with out with a Chinook but decided it was too risky.[/quote:3gkjubzx]

Are there any pics of this?

8. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Now you've confused me! The 1980 book "Preserved Locomotives" by H C Casserley lists Avonside 0-6-0ST "Robert" built in 1933 with works number 2068 as being at the Foxfield Light Railway. Did HC get it wrong or are there two Avonsides named "Robert"?

9. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

There are two called Robert, 1600 is one of them, but was not technically "preserved" when Casserley's book came out.

Asfor the new owner, I am sure they will let everyone know when they want to. I wish them well with it.

10. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade

As far as i am aware John Marrows has, bought it of Bryn Engineering

11. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think that this 'Robert' is AE 1951 built 1924 & formerly of Llay Main Colliery, Wrexham.

Bob.

12. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Hanson donated it (or what's left of it) to the Penrhyn Railway Heritage Trust a few years ago. Not that this means it's likely to be leaving Penmaenmawr - the RAF had a look at lifting it with out with a Chinook but decided it was too risky.[/quote:2i028dwu]

Are there any pics of this?[/quote:2i028dwu]

Scroll down this page for a few.

13. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

14. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

And the second picture on this page shows Avonside 1600 at Chequerbent in 1970 but named Gordon not Robert. Is this the loco which has now been recovered?

15. 8-10 Brass Cleaner

8-10 Brass Cleaner Member

Bridges
    Hanson donated it (or what's left of it) to the Penrhyn Railway Heritage Trust a few years ago. Not that this means it's likely to be leaving Penmaenmawr - the RAF had a look at lifting it with out with a Chinook but decided it was too risky.[/quote:pcg8jaa1]

You boys have no enterprise. We removed a 1917 Thorneycroft Lorry (a 3 ton Subsidy ex WD) off the same mountain in the 1980's. I recall going to see the DeWinton while we were up there.

PM me if you are interested how 'twas done.

16. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Yes it is, it was Robert under the NCB, may have been renamed "Gordon" or known as such as the scrapyard it was in was actually Jose K Holt Gordon Ltd, Chequerbent.

And its working area may give a clue as to why the new owner has it, but it's never been a Wrexham engine, always a North Western one.

17. Well thats good news another engine for embsay then seeing as Bryn engineering is based there at the moment

18. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    That's what we thought... so we went up to Embsay at the weekend to go and take a look at her (we went to see her in the scrap yard last year)... but we were told that they know nothing of her, and it doesn't seem likely it's going there... any more ideas???

Where ever she is... can't wait to see someone actually doing something with her!!!

19. ATM she will be at bryn engineerings yard but eventually most of the marrows stuff ends up at embsay

20. Muppet

Muppet Member

Neither correct, helpful nor accurate I'm afraid. Bryn Engineering and Embsay are separate entities. There is obviously some crossover as they are volunteers with us, but to assume 'one is the other' is only going to cause problems and misunderstandings.

Just thought I'd try to clear that up!